PDA

View Full Version : How safe is a downgrader?

Axelius
March 7th, 2007, 14:48
Hi,
I'm still on 2.80 although the downgrader is out for a long time now, but I'm still scared to use it.
I want to know how safe the downgraders actually are, when they are used in the right way. I've often heard people saying that the downgraders are pretty safe, when you're not making any mistakes. But I think there is still a risk...

JKKDARK
March 7th, 2007, 14:50
downgrading and then update to a custom firmware would brick your PSP.

Axelius
March 7th, 2007, 14:54
Huh?...Very funny :-)

Kichigai Mentat
March 7th, 2007, 15:00
JKKDark, what are you talking about? I don't mean to be rude, but downgrading to 1.50 and up to 3.03 OE-C or 3.10 OE-A' is safe enough, if you don't get stupid. I've downgraded 2.80 and 2.71 and jumped to 3.10 OE-A' a couple times with no problem.

Gold Line
March 7th, 2007, 16:15
downgrading and then update to a custom firmware would brick your PSP.

why say that you dum ass

2.80 downgrading is safe but if you have gta lcs you can upgrade to 3.03 then downgrade to 1.50 that would be better:thumbup:

Axelius
March 7th, 2007, 16:38
Why is this better (I own an upatched version of LCS, so it doesn't matter)??

Gold Line
March 7th, 2007, 16:43
because Some one correct if I am wrong but it is easer faster and it dose not matter what mother board you are check this txt file for more info :)

ExcruciationX
March 7th, 2007, 16:44
Nothing that writes to flash0 is 100 100 percent safe. But, you should be fine if you do it correctly.

It's kind of hard to locate an un-patched copy of GTA LCS required for the 3.03 downgrade, so just downgrade from 2.80.

Also, ignore JKKDARK, he's being an asshole.

Axelius
March 7th, 2007, 17:02
...it dose not matter what mother board you are...
I have a non TA82 anyway (bought it at the first weekend when it was released in germany)

It's kind of hard to locate an un-patched copy of GTA LCS...
I already own an unpatched version

I thought there was a problem when you upgrade after you've downgraded from 3.03??

Nicko01
March 7th, 2007, 17:49
no, they just thought that for a little while, it's been proven false.

Heres the easy downgrader
http://rapidshare.com/files/9502787/2.80_-_EASY_Downgrader_0.3_by_csfreakno1_www.homebrewpsp .iphpbb.com.zip

And heres a tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48p4JFHICbQ

I've downgraded and upgraded my psp many times without a brick.
It's very unlikely.
I'd say less that 1% if you do it correctly, and with the tut and easy dg i gave you, you will do it correctly.

Here is the 3.03 OE-C guide.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&message.id=2748114

It says on the guide to get 3.10 OE-A, but you can't do as many customizations on it.

For a cool XMB go to http://dl.qj.net/Ultimate-black-XMB-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/12979/catid/151
and download that.
Extract all the files into somewhere and start up your psp while holding R.
Once you are in recovery, go to advanced and select Flash0:/ USB.
Plug the USB in and go to /vsh/resource/ and copy the files into there. (DONT TOUCH THE OTHER FILES!!) Now, go back to the main menu and hit exit and you'll have an awesome looking XMB.
Dont do this in 3.10, or you'll brick.

Does that deserve a +REP?

Axelius
March 7th, 2007, 18:10
Thanks, but I think I'll go to 3.10OE as I don't really need this customization thing...
Perhaps I'll do the downgrade tomorrow (I don't have time this evening...)

Edit: Somehow I seem not to be able to download the file from rapidshare...

Edit2: The download didn't work with Firefox, but it did with IE7...strange...

CaptainMorgan4
March 7th, 2007, 18:33
Downgrade man it's very safe, I was slight afraid but did it with someone else's PSP so I'm confident you'll be fine. Because if I did it with someone else's PSP and bricked it I would have to pay for a new one so you can see that I was confident that they are safe. You don't really own a PSP when your not on a custom firmware you own a Sony restricted product that kinda sucks. DOWNGRADE THEN GET 3.10 OE-A'!

Axelius
March 7th, 2007, 19:37
I finally screw up my courage and did the downgrade!!! It wasn't actually that scary...
So I'm on 1.50 now....I'm really happy! I think I'll go up to 3.10OE then...

buildit92
March 7th, 2007, 20:11
no i wouldnt do that. upgrade to 3.03OE-C
then u can get coustom stuff like icons and things like that.

Axelius
March 7th, 2007, 20:50
Too late...I'm already at 3.10OE...but I'm still happy:thumbup: :thumbup:

Although I've seen many people having cool XMBs I'll stay on the classic Sony-Style...

PS: my heart stopped a beat when it took a second to start after upgrading to 3.10OE...and I was so happy when the sony logo finally came up:cool:

Triv1um
March 7th, 2007, 20:54
Yeah, i nearly pee'd myself waiting for it to boot up.

I have done like 20 psp's for friends now though.

Its easyer when you know its not yours, haha.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
March 7th, 2007, 21:08
the 3.03 dger is fool proof, its almost impossible to brick with

Shrygue
March 7th, 2007, 21:10
Quite so.

SSaxdude
March 7th, 2007, 21:23
Nobody listen to what JKKDARK has to say. Ok with that out of the way, downgraders are very safe. The only way to brick using a downgrader would be if you didn't run the downgrader correctly.

Nicko01
March 7th, 2007, 21:24
yup.

S34MU5
March 7th, 2007, 23:19
very