PDA

View Full Version : GDC 07: Sony proves they don't care about PSP

wraggster
March 8th, 2007, 01:57
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/03/07/gdc-07-sony-proves-they-dont-care-about-psp/)

Phil Harrison's conference has come and gone, and although the audience was cheering throughout, Sony has proved one thing: the PSP doesn't matter. Well, at least not to Sony's "Game 3.0" idea. The PSP is able to do everything the PS3 can: use wi-fi, download files, take pictures, display video, and more. Why not incorporate a PSP version of Home, instead of making a "Virtual PSP" on the PS3? Why not add the Playstation Network to the PSP? The complete absence of Sony's handheld makes me believe that the platform simply doesn't matter to them right now: let's hope I'm wrong.

Expect some very specific PSP-prodding at Sony's bloggers meeting tomorrow.

Ultima Chocochu
March 8th, 2007, 07:02
That's kinda sad if they don't, the PSP has lot's of potential(other than homebrew), just no one's gotten very far with it.

ab88
March 8th, 2007, 08:02
I wouldn't be interested in using something like home in the psp. Not powerfull enough.

JoeyStitch
March 8th, 2007, 09:02
Sony is killing the PSP. It's not homebrew or piracy (though I'm sure the latter isn't helping), it's Sony squandering its potential. I know that they're trying to make that lead brick called the PS3 float, but can't they throw us loyal PSP owners a bone or two?

zidanerick
March 8th, 2007, 09:33
3 Things killed the PSP and i can honestly tell u this as i never intended to buy one, luck had it that i won a psp in a competition.

1. Price
The PSP is still way overpriced, it should be on par with the PS2 or at least closer to it, if sony really wants to bring some support back to it drop it to the price of the DS

2. 3rd Party/Exclusive Titles
I seriously couldnt name a single title that was only on the psp before i got one hence the lack of desire to get one, yes i know the "Stories" series of GTA is exclusive but seriously GTA has been beaten to death with a rubber mallet.

3. WOW Factor
What can the PSP do that nothing else in the console world can do? NOTHING. The DS has a Touch Screen, the XBOX has Live, the PS2 has the Eye Toy and Guitar Hero. Cmon there needs to be something to grab someones attention other then saying they can re-buy their movie collection to rewatch on a screen smaller then their hand.
I know the UMD Movie line is dead before anyone says anything.

My Guide for the 2nd Coming of the PSP

Embrace Homebrew! They dont have to say "You can run your snes games" all they have to say is that u can use over 1000+ "Plugins" to do various tasks and even host it on their website, seriously almost everyone would be interested in the prospect of using their PSP to chat on MSN or to have it as a universal remote.

DivX Movie Playback!
70% of the Population on the internet has used filesharing at one time or another, so wouldnt it make sense for sony to just let them have what they want instead of complaining about it, they are going to do it anyway so why not just let them do it.

Use the PSP as a Virtual Client for the PS3
Im not talking about being able to control the PS3, im talking about being able to use the PSP as an external screen for the PS3 even if its just to stream movies around the house but the ultimate would be to play PS3 with your PSP in the bathtub/bed/toilet wherever, this is what people first thought the connectivity would be between the PS3/PSP and the approval was deafening so why not listen to the people.

I used to be a SONY fanboy, and in some ways the PS1 will always be in my heart ^_^ but seriously sony needs to get their act together or in less then 10 years they will be the spawn of SEGA except that SONY dont actually have any programming talent.

belialone
March 8th, 2007, 11:03
2. 3rd Party/Exclusive Titles
I seriously couldnt name a single title that was only on the psp before i got one hence the lack of desire to get one, yes i know the "Stories" series of GTA is exclusive but seriously GTA has been beaten to death with a rubber mallet.

liberty city stories is actually out for ps2 too
so its not really exclusive

maybe we will see the downfall of a great system soon

psp is going to die out within 2 years from now

there is no real killer app on psp except maybe devhook
but that doesnt count cuz its homebrew and thats why psp is going
to die out

if sony would somehow integrate homebrew into their software lineup
psp could live on for more than 5 years

there is a little chance that we will see a change in sonys psp
marketingstrategy cuz there concentrating on ps3 and the war
against the minisoft y-box 180

psp is a great handheld system but it was definitely not sonys
achievement
guys like fanjita, booster, DarkAlex and all the others made the psp
worth the money and created a community around it

thank to all the haxors

SpacemanSpiff
March 8th, 2007, 14:21
I wouldn't be interested in using something like home in the psp. Not powerfull enough.

I agree 100%. The PSP isn't even practical for web browsing, due to its lack of power, low screen resolution, and pathetic battery life with wifi enabled. Why would anyone think a gigantic online social network would work?

Ichijoe
March 8th, 2007, 18:49
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/03/07/gdc-07-sony-proves-they-dont-care-about-psp/)
let's hope I'm wrong.

Sadly I don't think you are.
I mean what's left for poor 'ol S0NYŽ™, I mean they come up w/a Security Update to stop this Site 'Cold Dead'.
Ah but, alas we have such Wonderful People in this "Scene" like Dark_Alex and Fanjita help S0NYŽ™ in getting there Arse duly handed to 'em, Time and Tide again.

I think the only thing S0NYŽ™ has / had going for it was the Popstaion™, alas I fear that we'll not see many updates (e.g. Multi-Disc J-RPG's), being released now, cause that would be "THE END"!

.... At least for me!

p.s. I can not evern remember the last time I botherd picking my PSP™ up. I suppose it was at least a few Weeks ago now.
When we had that PSP Weather Homebew, alas it requierd a v1.50 Firmware to work, which is rather nice, but W(ho)TF is still useing v1.50 these Days?!
I'd never thougt I'd give my PSP™ up but I found myself lending it to my Dad so he could watch some Movies on it while he was away.

At least in this way the PSP™ could be useful for someone!

Do I have any regrets?! ~Humm~ yeah I guess I do..
Has the PSP™ tought me to never purchase any new S0NY Sh*t on Release Day?!

Your FORKING BET IT HAS!!

The King
March 8th, 2007, 20:02
yo i personaly only got my psp for music but it does seem that wat all of ya are saying seems to be true

sad but true

sony should just stop trying to stop home brew and help it because sadly thats the only thing that is keeping the psp alive aside of that its gona die within a few years from now

aggain said but true I think that if sony keeps up it will die and not even get close to the DS in gaming and enternainment

i also think that they will lose aggains microsoft
ps3 has alot more potential than the xbox but the box has a year ahead of them in gaming and populaity

F9zDark
March 8th, 2007, 20:14
Home could function on the PSP, but it would have to be so severly degraded that it might not even be worth it. Without a standard keyboard, we wouldn't have a prayer at timely, real time chat.

However the PSP absolutely NEEDS an online community. The PSP could probably handle something like Nintendo's Miis graphically but not Home.

They could easily do it, just make the Homes less interactive, scale down the graphics and make keyboard hardware for the PSP.

But I have said this for a long time and will continue to say it until either it gets done or the PSP dies. The PSP NEEDS an online community. If Sony gave us that, the PSP would see a much larger increase in sales, especially if they adopted an Xbox Live Arcade style setup, where PSP users can jump in, play some old game titles on their PSPs, maybe hop over to the pool table with some friends they met or bowling alley, etc.

gunntims0103
March 8th, 2007, 20:19
good read.

i think Sony is simply more concerned about the ps3 then they are of the psp at the moment. Which is sad because theres still alot of things that can be added to the handheld.

Also never mix the psp commercial scene with the psp homebrew scene. Homebrew scenes tend to last alot longer. Hint sega saturn ;)

PLZKLLME0080
March 8th, 2007, 20:24
I still care about the PSP!!!
mine anyway...

animekid4
March 8th, 2007, 22:48
I wanted to be a sony fan.I still want to be a sony fan.But the DS is just toooo good.Same with the 360.

SSaxdude
March 8th, 2007, 23:43
Nothing new here. Sony never hasn't made any new ideas for the PSP except for the PSX emulator, which to them is only good if you blow $600 on their new console. Sony just wants to market their PS3 because they know it is losing the console war, and the PSP already has lost the war against the DS so there's little point in doing anything new for it.

F9zDark
March 9th, 2007, 00:49
Nothing new here. Sony never hasn't made any new ideas for the PSP except for the PSX emulator, which to them is only good if you blow $600 on their new console. Sony just wants to market their PS3 because they know it is losing the console war, and the PSP already has lost the war against the DS so there's little point in doing anything new for it.

Well your right about the PSP and DS: there is little point in supporting a losing item. But what Sony does now with the PSP will ensure their success later on if they decide to make a PSP2. If they admit defeat in the handheld department and fold out, then fine; but so long as they support the PSP they should roll out new features, new ideas.

Who knows what kind of interaction they may have in store later for Home and the PSP. We know that in Home we have a virtual PSP, but maybe it will serve an actual purpose. Maybe the PSP can serve as the player's "Away from Home" message box, allowing owners to keep in touch in others while gaming.

Sony holds the key to many opportunities and while it seems they don't care about the PSP through their speeches at GDC, who is to say that once Home hits our PS3 harddrives that they wont throw us a nice, meaty bone for owning a PSP.