PDA

View Full Version : need some help/advice...sorry

godfatherx
March 8th, 2007, 16:54
i know these threads get annoying and im sorry for posting this one, but ive tried looking fr advice elsewhere and i havent gotten any real advice

ive been looking to get into the ds homebrew scene for awhile, was going to a few months ago but never actually got anything

what was suggested to me was the following

SuperCard mini-sd or similar device
Mini sd memory card
Max media player

so today i decided that im finally going to do it, and i go to the site http://www.gamersection.ca which somebody had suggested and i see the M3 Perfect Simply 1 slot solution...which is a million times better because i have both a ds and ds lite so it would work perfectly with both units.

my question is, is this the best way to go about this?

M3 Perfect Simply slot 1 card
2gb micro sd card

i want to do the following
play ds games
play classic games/emu/roms
be able to use my ds as a mp3 player and other media
have a web browser
be able to run various homebrew apps

as far as complexity i need something fairly user friendly as far as the interface goes because my fiance will be using this as well

also if anyone can give me a summary of how well the above listed uses will work , especially performance on games, it would be appreciated

DanTheManMS
March 8th, 2007, 22:44
SuperCard mini-sd or similar device
Mini sd memory card
Max media player

Surely you mean the Max Media Launcher instead. The MML is a NoPass device, which you need to launch DS code from the GBA slot. The MMP is a homebrew device all by itself (though it's a relatively poor one).

I personally have a Supercard miniSD and I have been satisfied with it. That said, there are a few things that need to be asked to see which type of card would be better for you.

M3 Perfect Simply slot 1 card
2gb micro sd card

An M3 Simply will require a MicroSD card, as the regular SD cards are too large to fit

play ds games
You buy them from a store, removing the M3 Simply to play them.

play classic games/emu/roms
What systems? Some emulators require slot-2 cards with extra RAM, while others don't. For instance, NES DS will work on nearly any card, but saving support might not work on slot-1 cards. The only real GBC emulator runs in GBA mode, so it requires a slot-2 card. The ancient SNES DS runs small roms on slot-1 cards and larger roms on slot-2 cards, while SnezziDS requires a slot-2 device with RAM, but SNEmulDS works on nearly all devices. So basically, tell us which systems you wish to emulate.

be able to use my ds as a mp3 player and other media
Both Moonshell and DSOrganize should work well on a slot-1 card, so you shouldn't have any issues there.

have a web browser
Official or homebrew? The official one requires you to either buy it officially or use both a slot-1 and a slot-2 card with a modified rom (not going to elaborate on that one). The only homebrew ones at the moment are in DSLinux. They are text-only browsers, and to make full use of them a slot-2 card with extra RAM is recommended, as DSLinux tends to crash very easily on slot-1 cards due to the fact that the DS only has 4 MB of RAM to begin with.
The freeware Gnirfleo browser is expected to see a preview release March 24th, and another one called Okiwi is also expected to have a basic release sometime soon (without network support though), so you may want to wait until then and see if they're usable at all.

be able to run various homebrew apps
Slot-2 cards have slightly higher homebrew compatibility, but with the advent of DLDI most new homebrew will work with all devices. Are there any particular applications you wish to use?

eomund
March 15th, 2007, 23:42
Surely you mean the Max Media Launcher instead.

Datal lables their disks 'Max Media Player', at least in the US 'cause that's how mine was labled when I bought it.

DanTheManMS
March 16th, 2007, 00:25
Yeah, I just discovered that recently. The label is misleading.

godfatherx
March 21st, 2007, 18:32
dan...i sent you a pm

not sure what is and is not allowed to be talked abouit here, i have more questions but dont want to get anyone in trouble