PDA

View Full Version : PSP newbie

allan1983
March 8th, 2007, 21:39
Hi everyone. This is my first post here (probably of many!!)
Ive just invested in a PSP. Its a brand new one, and the firmware is (i think) 2.81.
Im not planning on doing a load of things with it, i just want to play games.
What i am interested in though is Homebrew.
Ive read up in a few places, and ive got a vague idea of what i need to do to play said homebrew, but im sure there are huge, glaring gaps in my knowledge so far!

As far as i understand, i need to downgrade the firmware. However, i have no idea where to start with this task.
Ive invested in a 2gig memory stick, to put homebrews on, but i have no idea if this is a simple job, or if it will need up/downgrading in someway to do this.

I know that theres always an inherent risk of bricking the console (little term ive picked up!) and id really like to know how to avoid this!!

If someone can step up to the plate and earn themselves the title of 'Dumb Newb Helper' id be very much obliged. Even if its simply some info to put me in the right direction, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks Peeps!:thumbup:

Shrygue
March 8th, 2007, 21:57
You need to be at least version 1.50 to play homebrew. If you are on 2.81 you have to upgrade to 3.03 and then downgrade from there. In order to do that, you need an unpatched copy of the game Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories.

An unpatched game will have the serial numer ULES-00151# on the disk label and have version 2.00 update data on it. Patched ones have ULES-00151#2, have the 2.60 update data and are copies sold from June 2006.

At this time, downgrading to 1.50 via 3.03 and GTA is the only way for those who are stuck with 2.81, 2.82, 3.00, 3.01, 3.02 and 3.03.

To downgrade to 1.50 from 2.81:

1 - Ensure you have an unpatched copy of GTA:LCS.
2 - Get the 3.03 updater here (http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/958), put the EBOOT.PBP in the GAME folder of your memory stick and run it. While you're about it, you should get the 1.50 updater here (http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/4) as well.
3 - After updating to 3.03, get the downgrader from here (http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1034) and follow the instructions described in the readme document.
4 - If you did everything correctly, you should reach version 1.50 without any problems. When the downgrader finishes and you restart your PSP, a corrupted settings message will appear. Just press circle and then you will be asked to input settings like when you first got your console.

hodgy47
March 8th, 2007, 21:59
Firstly congratulations on buying the finest mobile gaming machine there is.

Your best bet if you want the most from your machine is downgrading to 1.50 and up to a custom firmware I like 3.03oe-c cos you can customize it more than 3.10oe ther is as you said an inherent risk of bricking but that not big of a chance if you do it all correctly, going to custom carries many benifits, you have a recovery console so if by some chance you do happen to brick once your running custom you have a way to "unbrick" and get going again, you also have benifit of being able to play ps1 games on your PSP via the inbuilt emulator popstation which is available on official firmwares but you cant play your own games on the official one and then you can customize your xmb bootsounds gameboots and much more (you cant change topmenu in 3.10oe only 3.03oe) and finally the best benifit of all is the pride you have running firmware by dark alex and poking sony in the eye.

if need more info on anything just PM me I'll be happy to talk you through things.

psiko_scweek
March 8th, 2007, 22:03
alright, congrats on getting yourself a PSP, its truly a great system.

first things first you will need to do something about that firmware. I would recommend upgrading to FW- 3.03, then downgrade it to 1.5 and then either stay at 1.5 or upgrade it to 3.10-OE.

downgrader for 3.03
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/3-03v-downgrader-amp-hen-for-v3-03-released-newest-psp-firmware-downgradeable-51035.html

now getting homebrew on 1.5 or 3.10-OE is easy as pie. just download the homebrew you want, load it into your memory stick into the right folder.

1.5 : PSP->GAME
3.10-OE: PSP->GAME150

allan1983
March 8th, 2007, 22:49
ok, thanks for the info so far guys. Do i assume then that i need to buy a copy of GTA LCS from a shop/ebay etc and use this as my starting block then?

xCLOUDx
March 9th, 2007, 01:13
Yea you need an Unpatched version of GTA LCS....meaning it has the 2.00 update on it....I myself downgraded using the Noobz team downgrader.....from there i upgraded to DarkAlex's 3.03 oe-c custom firmware.....im enjoying my psp more than i ever did.....

AvengedSevenfold Fan
March 9th, 2007, 18:05
if you want live help, you can instant message me on aim - aysevenexfan

allan1983
March 11th, 2007, 17:34
Hey guys. Just a quick question.
With regards to homebrew, what format(s) should i be looking for?
Ive seen them mainly in .ISO so far, but also a couple are .CSO, and some are pairs of .PBP and a 1k .BIN file called 'keys'??

Appreciate any light you can shed on this if possible.
:D :o :D

weirdelf
March 11th, 2007, 18:55
Are you talking about Popstation or other homebrew?

Camelot
March 11th, 2007, 18:57
.ISOs and .CSOs are not homebrew. Those are the two common formats for ripped games. .ISO being the full and .CSO being the compressed. Most homebrew will have an .eboot extection. .pbp are for fw updates like the ones you will need to downgrade. .bin files are used for keys like you said, and sometimes for homebrew/plugins configs.

allan1983
March 11th, 2007, 19:34
Ah, i see!
Im getting myself confused here, as i dont really know what im looking at most of the time!

allan1983
March 11th, 2007, 19:42
I think that after reading what people have said here, my best bet is to drop to 1.50, then up to a higher firmware, but what is high enough?
If someone was to want to play ripped games through the use of a memory stick and a modded PSP (which id tell them not to do cos piracy is a crime) how would they do this? from being on 1.50 onwards?

dreamwalker
March 11th, 2007, 19:53
Ah, i see!
Im getting myself confused here, as i dont really know what im looking at most of the time!

Just seen last post. You want DAs 3.10oea2. Look here for tutorial (http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=51852).
Also you probably do not want "ripped" games as these have fmv's and music ripped out to reduce file size. This should be unnecessary with a 2Gb card. You just want to copy your own cd's.

allan1983
March 13th, 2007, 19:37
got my copy of GTA today, and was hoping someone can give me a blow by blow guide to getting to 1.5 please??

It really does need to start with
1. put game in and turn PSP on

Because otherwise i feel like im just going to cock it up completely!!:o

Thanks in advance guys!

dreamwalker
March 13th, 2007, 20:56
got my copy of GTA today, and was hoping someone can give me a blow by blow guide to getting to 1.5 please??

It really does need to start with
1. put game in and turn PSP on

Because otherwise i feel like im just going to cock it up completely!!:o

Thanks in advance guys!

EDITED by dreamwalker

Oh yeh, another useful place to go is here (http://www.dark-alex.org/).

allan1983
March 13th, 2007, 22:05
ive just realised, my psp has a TA-082 motherboard, so going down to 1.5 isnt enough.
according to Maxconsole, i need: TA-082 Motherboad, 2.71 Firmware. i thought GTA got me to 3.03?
Is this still the way forward??

dreamwalker
March 13th, 2007, 22:44
ive just realised, my psp has a TA-082 motherboard, so going down to 1.5 isnt enough.
according to Maxconsole, i need: TA-082 Motherboad, 2.71 Firmware. i thought GTA got me to 3.03?
Is this still the way forward??

EDIED by dreamwalker due to bad advice

justisasha
March 13th, 2007, 23:19
Hi everyone this is my first thread on this site i have a 3.11 version psp i just invested in a gps reciever for it and i think i need homebrew to make it work proper but was wondering if it could harm my psp also dont know if the gps works in the uk or if i can access uk maps for it can someone please help!

hodgy47
March 13th, 2007, 23:30
Stop following links to no where and getting confused the noobz 3.03 downgrader patches ta-082 mobo's so dont be changing firmware all over the place to get there this is an extract from 3.03 downgrader readme.

12 - If you have an unpatched TA-082 or higher motherboard, you will be
prompted to allow the downgrader to patch your motherboard so it
can be safely downgraded. The downgrader will not let you proceed
without patching, if your motherboard requires it.

just go up to 3.03 official firm then use the noobz 3.03 downgrader and then up to a custom firmware of your choice and this thing works cos i did my sons and his was a ta-082 mobo. thankfully mine wasn't

justisasha
March 13th, 2007, 23:32
Hello :p

Cloudhunter
March 13th, 2007, 23:32
Seriously people if you have no idea how to downgrade then don't help.

You downgrade by upgrading to 3.03 then down from there, and the 3.03 downgrader puts it straight to 1.50 no matter what motherboard, TA-082 or not.

And as for the GPS question it will work in the UK but has no maps for it, and as you are 3.11 you can't downgrade or run homebrew such as the GPS homebrew.

Cloudy

hodgy47
March 13th, 2007, 23:39
Hi everyone this is my first thread on this site i have a 3.11 version psp i just invested in a gps reciever for it and i think i need homebrew to make it work proper but was wondering if it could harm my psp also dont know if the gps works in the uk or if i can access uk maps for it can someone please help!

This is not a thread its a post within a thread and totally different subject to post a new thread you do it from the main screen not within a thread i know your new thats why i am telling you so you will get answers that you need in your own threads

And i dont think 3.11 has homebrew capabilities yet (sorry)

hodgy47
March 13th, 2007, 23:43
Seriously people if you have no idea how to downgrade then don't help.

You downgrade by upgrading to 3.03 then down from there, and the 3.03 downgrader puts it straight to 1.50 no matter what motherboard, TA-082 or not.

And as for the GPS question it will work in the UK but has no maps for it, and as you are 3.11 you can't downgrade or run homebrew such as the GPS homebrew.

Cloudy

-EDIT-

SORRY FOR DOUBLE I SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

Cloudhunter
March 13th, 2007, 23:52
Cloudy well said i had posted earlier in the thread telling him this, I dont mean to be awful but noobs helping noobs recipe for disaster dont you agree.

Yeah totally agree, its like the blind leading the blind :p

When I started my post yours wasn't there ;) Stupid slow PSP typing :p

Cloudy

pt9087
March 13th, 2007, 23:59
@dreamwalker: jesus your so dumb. stop giving him so many links and the 3.03 DG patches TA-082's anyways

dreamwalker
March 14th, 2007, 00:16
For the record pt9087 and cloudhunter I do not appreciate your manners nor your insults

hodgy47
March 14th, 2007, 00:27
edit

dreamwalker
March 14th, 2007, 00:39
edit

hodgy47
March 14th, 2007, 00:42
edit

dreamwalker
March 14th, 2007, 01:03
edit wow this looks odd now :D

hodgy47
March 14th, 2007, 01:47
oh yes

ozair2419
March 14th, 2007, 03:15
:D
I am new to psp world, just bought psp version, how to mod this into a version whch can play all home brew games etc

justisasha
March 14th, 2007, 09:44
Hello again i could use some help to downgrade but not very well up on this area is there out anyone can do to help please :eek:

allan1983
March 14th, 2007, 15:04
Now look what ive gone and started!!
Hijacked thread, some sort of insult match thats been edited out, and im still none the wiser!!!!

If ive got GTA how do i use this to upgrade to 3.03?
Then i assume its just a case of using the downgrader??

hodgy47
March 14th, 2007, 17:07
:D
I am new to psp world, just bought psp version, how to mod this into a version whch can play all home brew games etc

You need the psp help section cos you cant start a thread within a thread as for question You cant do much at all with 3.10 just sit tight and hope for a downgrader soon.

allan1983
March 15th, 2007, 13:22
I now not only have the 2.81 PSP, but have also acquired a 2.60 one as well. One for me one for the missus.
Im still scared to start the process of down/upgrading with either one, and i just want someone to take a minute to explain the first step in each case please.
As ive mentioned before, ive got GTA LCS unpatched version ready to go, but dont know what i need to do with it.:confused:

pt9087
March 15th, 2007, 15:29
I advise getting the 3.03 downgrader and reading the instructions. if you still need help email me or add me on msn
[email protected]

allan1983
March 16th, 2007, 18:01
im now very happily running 3.10 OE_A'
now what i need to know is how to run UMD off my memory stick.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Prasoc
March 17th, 2007, 18:21
No ISO talk here. sorry. oh and btw, homebrew isnt in .eboot it is .pbp format like the updates. Congrats on custom firmware tho :)

allan1983
March 24th, 2007, 00:41
Aside from the fact of whether its fake or not, my 4gb ms keeps dissapearing?! Sometimes, when i switch the PSP on, it acts as if i havent got a MS in it at all????
Other times it works fine, and it does seem to have 4gb capacity.
Apart from 'faulty ms' which surely would be an all the time problem, is there anythin else this could be?