PDA

View Full Version : some advice about music players

demiansan
March 8th, 2007, 23:39
Hi there.

I was wondering if there is any music player that supports mp3, ogg, mod, it, xm, s3m and many other formats, if posible without problems (choppy noise, drops, slow playing...).

Actually i'm using "PSP Media Center v0.87", and it needs some fixes in mod and ogg, also a random play should be great, but seems that it's actually a dead project :(

Thanks for your time and help.

peace.

cha0ticbliss
March 9th, 2007, 02:05
Hmm... why do you want a player for them. Can't you just convert them and play it through the xmb? (not familiar w/ those formats)

demiansan
March 9th, 2007, 08:30
well, mod files (mod, it, xm, s3m...) are a tipe of file with some similarity to midi files, but with sound instruments embended inside, so they sound the same no matter what kind of sound board you may have.
Another point is that a 6 minute track are around 100Kb - 300Kb, while in MP3 format would be around 4Mb.
And converting more than 50 tracks... well, if i can avoid that, cool.

Anyway thanks for the tip, but i will keep searching.

BlackShark
March 9th, 2007, 10:25
well, can't help you there...(but I am planing to make mp3/mod support for my Doom PSP port)

jaws365
March 9th, 2007, 13:02
I have been waiting for a descent multifomat player ever since I bought the PSP. Would be so cool to sleep with a playlist of .mod, .spc, etc running (and stopping at the end).

demiansan
March 9th, 2007, 21:58
Maybe i should learn psp coding and start over a brand new music player, but my coding skills are near to cero.

Anyway thanks for posting, i 'll see what else is usefull around this WorldWideWeb of information.

Peace, fun, psp, music and emus to run. :thumbup:

Kichigai Mentat
March 12th, 2007, 03:57
Hmm... why do you want a player for them. Can't you just convert them and play it through the xmb? (not familiar w/ those formats)

It's not a good idea to unnecessarily transcode files. MOD and similar files have been explained, but Ogg is a container for Vorbis. Vorbis is an open source audio codec that delivers better compression quality than MP3, but it's still a lossy codec. Transcoding it would mean losing lots of quality (even if it was just MP3-MP3), plus time to convert them all.