PDA

View Full Version : Official PSP European launch date is.........

wobbler
April 26th, 2005, 08:43
PlayStation Portable To Launch Across Europe on 1st September 2005

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that its highly anticipated PlayStation Portable™ handheld entertainment system will be launched in Europe on 1st September 2005. Following the success of the PlayStation Portable launches in Japan and the USA, PlayStation Portable will go on sale in the European PAL territories on 1st September 2005, available in a single version Value Pack, priced at €249 (£179). The PlayStation Portable Value Pack contains an added-value package of accessories and entertainment content, including the PlayStation Portable system with a pouch, 32MB Memory Stick Duo™, Battery Pack, Headphones with Remote Control, AC Adaptor, Wrist Strap, cloth and a video/music/game sampler Universal Media Disc™ (UMD™) including several non-interactive game demos.

A copy of Spider-Man 2, on UMD Video will be available free of charge to early purchasers of PlayStation Portable, who register their PlayStation Portable and order their Spider-Man 2 UMD Video through http://www.yourpsp.com, the official SCEE web portal for PlayStation Portable.

PlayStation Portable features a 4.3-inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD that displays full colour (16.77 million colours) on a 480 x 272 pixel high-resolution screen. PlayStation Portable also comes complete with built-in stereo speakers, exterior headphone connector and a range of input/output connectors such as USB 2.0 and 802.11b Wireless LAN, enabling users to connect to the Internet and play online via a Wireless Network. Up to 16 PlayStation Portable systems in the vicinity can also be connected to each other directly in Ad Hoc Mode, allowing for Wireless head-to-head competition. In addition, Wireless capabilities will allow software and data to be downloaded to PlayStation Portable and saved onto a Memory Stick Duo.

PlayStation Portable uses a newly-developed proprietary storage medium named Universal Media Disc (UMD). This high-capacity optical disc is the next-generation compact storage media, and although only 60mm in diameter, a UMD can store up to 1.8GB of digital data – more than three times the data held on a CD-ROM. A broad range of digital entertainment content such as high quality 3D games, music, movies, video clips and other media can be distributed on UMD.

“PlayStation Portable will revolutionise portable entertainment, giving users the freedom to play full 3D games, watch movies, listen to music and connect wirelessly on their terms, wherever and whenever they wish to do so,” said David Reeves, President of SCEE. “More than ever, today’s consumer demands access to their personal entertainment outside the home, without compromising quality. With more than 100 PlayStation Portable game titles currently in development worldwide, and the ability to download and listen to music, and view feature films with breathtaking screen quality, PlayStation Portable lets users control their entertainment options, all in a single package.”

PlayStation Portable™ Basic Specifications and Features Product Name PlayStation Portable™

Colour Black Product Code PSP-1003K, PSP-1004K Dimensions Approximately 6.7 in (W) x .9 in (H) x 2.9 in (D) Weight Approximately 280g / .62 lbs (including battery) CPU PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1 - 333MHz) Main Memory 32MB Embedded DRAM 4MB Display 4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD 480 x 272 pixel, 16.77 million colours Maximum luminance 180 / 130 / 80cd/m2 (when using Battery Pack) Maximum luminance 200 / 180 / 130 / 80cd/m2 (when using AC Adaptor) Sound Built-in stereo speakers Main Input/Output IEEE 802.11b Memory Stick Duo™ High Speed USB (USB 2.0) IrDA

Main Connectors Memory Stick Duo™ slot USB connector DC OUT connector DC IN 5V connector Headset connector Power Lithium-ion Battery AC Adaptor Disc Drive UMD Drive (Read only) Profile PSP Game UMD Audio UMD Video Codec [Video]: “UMD”: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile Level 3 [Video]:“Memory Stick”: MPEG-4 SP, AAC [Music]: “UMD”: linear PCM, ATRAC3plus™ [Music]:“Memory Stick”: ATRAC3plus™, MP3(MPEG1/2 Layer3) [Photo]: JPEG (DCF2.0/Exif2.21) Security (Encryption) 128bit AES (Copyright protection technology) MagicGate™ Access control Region, Parental Control Wireless communications IEEE802.11b Infrastructure Mode Ad Hoc Mode (connects up to 16 PSP systems) PSP Value Pack supplied accessories AC Adaptor Battery Pack Memory Stick Duo™ (32MB) Pouch (Black) Headphones with Remote Control (90dB limited*) (White) UMD In-pack Sampler Wrist Strap (White) Cloth (Light Grey) * conforming with European standards

oasismark
April 26th, 2005, 09:12
Finally a release date for the UK.

Price isn't bad for once.

Doesn't bother me though, I should be getting my PSP TOMORROW! :D:D:D

reakt
April 26th, 2005, 09:13
Lol! £179! Sony must think we're suckers here in the UK!
I'm happy I got mine 6 months early for an extra 20 quid!

leggy
April 26th, 2005, 10:34
Let's wait and watch when they only have about 100 PSP's to distribute due to shortages :-)

Corpsical
April 26th, 2005, 11:11
Interesting that the PSP model numbers are 1003 & 1004 compared to the Japanese model 1000 and US 1001, wonder if that indicates another firmware update or product update (no dead pixel screen?).

Corpsical

aseddon130
April 26th, 2005, 13:34
are you for real oasis? the price isnt bad? £179 for the PSP, thats ridiculous if you ask me. i'd tell everybody to get it imported now, it would probably end up cheaper if you shopped around. why does europe always get screwed over?

leggy
April 26th, 2005, 14:02
The price is crazy!

How Sony expect the PSP to sell well when the DS is only £99 surprises me (even though I think the PSP is much better).

I can't see many mums and dads shelling out that sort of cash.

William Smith
April 26th, 2005, 14:45
I am sure the published price will remain only until the initial rush to buy has diminished.

By Xmas who knows?

I was one of the suckers who paid the original price for a hard to get hold of PS2, remember how quick they dropped in price?

Corpsical
April 26th, 2005, 14:53
Oh I think they will sell at the price, figure it will be aimed at Teenagers and Twenty-somethings, who will see it as a 'must have' gadget (providing Sony advertise it in a similar way to the the PSOne).

Still anyone with any sense would probably import, BUT if Sony see that as being negative to their overall plan maybe they will start to encourage use of region coding for games, although US games even with postage will probably work out cheaper than buying off the shelf here.

Corpsical

gamewareMaster
April 26th, 2005, 15:38
does the jap version also contain a umd demo disc?

leigh
April 26th, 2005, 16:24
does the jap version also contain a umd demo disc?
no theres no umd`s in the value or standard packs.

Darth PSP
April 26th, 2005, 16:41
Have Sony confirmed what the region encoding is going to be? Region 2 or something else?

oasismark
April 26th, 2005, 16:52
After looking at the current exchange rates i've changed my mind.

It's a rip off!

Current US price

$250.00 USD = £131.331 GBP

AND months late.

AND competeing with the DS at £99 as someone said.

But as we all know, it will sell by the 1000's.

There is NO reason for not importing one if you want one.

Should have mine tomorrow!!! :eek: :eek:

The exitement!

Kpow
April 26th, 2005, 21:17
Price is a bit high but don't we have VAT, how much sales tax do they pay in each state?

I know in Canada they have GST & PST (Government & Provisial) to add to the price which add about the same rate as our VAT. It's still cheaper though.

I'm heading to Canada on Thursday and have a list of orders already :)

Dan255
April 26th, 2005, 21:32
Have Sony confirmed what the region encoding is going to be? Region 2 or something else?

Europe will be region 2 which is the same as the jap psp's. this is good for jap psp owners (like me!) because we will be able to buy europe umds and they will work on the psp

Odie
April 27th, 2005, 00:21
I know in Canada they have GST & PST (Government & Provisial) to add to the price which add about the same rate as our VAT. It's still cheaper though.

You probably already know this, but it might be worth looking into claiming back any canadian tax you pay on your way back to the UK.

Europe will be region 2 which is the same as the jap psp's. this is good for jap psp owners (like me!) because we will be able to buy europe umds and they will work on the psp

A lot of people have been making this assumption on various forums, but it's definately not for certain until someone tries out a UK-release UMD movie on a japanese unit.

- Odie

Kpow
April 27th, 2005, 00:44
Thx Odie, seasoned traveller :) was just speculating on tax implications for price comparisons only. It is rip off Britain that's for sure.

I just have to pass through the green and hope i don't get colloar felt ;) got a few consoles and a few games on order. Looking forward to what i can get and tax free too :)

Vimes220
April 27th, 2005, 08:14
Thx Odie, seasoned traveller :) was just speculating on tax implications for price comparisons only. It is rip off Britain that's for sure.

I just have to pass through the green and hope i don't get colloar felt ;) got a few consoles and a few games on order. Looking forward to what i can get and tax free too :)

when are you due back,
if we aint heard from you after this date we will assume that the customs mob have gotten you

will have to start the "free the DCEmu-one" campaign :D :D

aseddon130
April 27th, 2005, 09:27
we should all write into Watchdog complaining about the price :D

danrowland
April 27th, 2005, 13:59
can't believe people are whinging about it being more expensive than a DS, people do'nt complain about paying £42k for an M3 when you can get a focus for £12k....

reakt
April 29th, 2005, 09:48
Price is a bit high but don't we have VAT, how much sales tax do they pay in each state?

I'm heading to Canada on Thursday and have a list of orders already :)

The sales tax in New York City is 8.25 %
so to buy a PSP there it would cost you

$250.00 USD + 8.25% (20.63)
= 270.63 USD
======> £141.95
so it's £37 cheaper to buy in New York.

But what about Sony's argument that the reason for the higher UK price is due to our high taxation?

$250 USD is the US retail price of the PSP without tax. That's £131.13 as someone said previously. Adding UK VAT onto this gives:

131.13 + 22.95
£154.08
========

So the above price is what Sony SHOULD be charging for the PSP in the UK. As you can see they're ripping us Brits off for an extra 25 quid. But that's just the tip of the iceberg - I dread to think what the games and UMDs will cost here in the UK.

That's it. Time to emigrate!

Vimes220
April 29th, 2005, 20:22
is the difference in price because of our purchace laws.

I read somewhere on this forum that us brits will be able to take the PSP back to the retail outlets if they have dead pixels as part of our statutory right (hey before i get annialated by the person who put it up originally i know that i probably mis-quoted part of that but you get the general idea)