PDA

View Full Version : GDC 07: Less than 15% of PSP owners have a DS

wraggster
March 9th, 2007, 21:08
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/03/09/gdc-07-less-than-15-of-psp-owners-have-a-ds/)

John Koller, Senior Marketing Manager, revealed an interesting internal statistic in last night's blogger panel: according to his research, only 11-14% of PSP owners have a DS. Although the system may be selling less than Nintendo's dual screened portable, it's clear that Sony's device is targeting a completely different market from Nintendo.

"We're not just competing against Nintendo," Koller explained. The platform has to compete against the iPod, the Zune, and a plethora of other multimedia devices. When asked how Sony will attempt to differentiate their offering even further, Koller simply smiled and hinted that the XMB will become much more fleshed out in the coming months.

Nicko01
March 9th, 2007, 22:19
Hmm... I have both. I guess you get one or the other most times.

mikebeaver
March 9th, 2007, 22:22
John Koller, Senior Marketing Manager, revealed an interesting internal statistic in last night's blogger panel: according to his research, only 11-14% of PSP owners have a DS.
Surely this also means that only 11-14% of DS owners have a PSP?

"We're not just competing against Nintendo," Koller explained. The platform has to compete against the iPod, the Zune, and a plethora of other multimedia devices.
This may be true, but the other multimedia devices come complete with internal storage, and quite a lot of it, the PSP runs on Sony's own Memory Stick Pro Duo format, which is expensive and comes at the largest at 8gb.

When asked how Sony will attempt to differentiate their offering even further, Koller simply smiled and hinted that the XMB will become much more fleshed out in the coming months.
I would like to know what they are planning to do here, as far as I was aware theer is very little space available in Flash 0 for more things to go, so how on earth are they going to add extra functionality to the XMB? are they planning on removing some of the older features?

Sony have a great console in the PSP, they just market the thing really badly.
I hope they can claw some of the ground back from Nintendo, the PSP is far from dead as somepeople say it is.

Broadus
March 9th, 2007, 23:03
I had a Nintendo DS, but I gave it to my dad (and my step-family that lives with him). Nintendo DS is great, but I didn't have any good DS games so all my attention went to the PSP, anyway.
If I had Mario Kart DS, I'm sure I would've felt differently.

SSaxdude
March 9th, 2007, 23:09
I have a DS Lite. Both are pretty fun, but the PSP has the better homebrew.

Cokemusic
March 9th, 2007, 23:39
This may be true, but the other multimedia devices come complete with internal storage, and quite a lot of it, the PSP runs on Sony's own Memory Stick Pro Duo format, which is expensive and comes at the largest at 8gb.

The price of memory sticks drop really fast , Amazon and Ebay 1gigs must have had like a 40-60% price reduction in the last few months.

acn010
March 9th, 2007, 23:42
ha ha..........
im one of the percentage XD
funny thing is that even i bought the m3 my ds is still collecting dust :(

dark heart
March 9th, 2007, 23:47
me too, in fact i have never owned a sony console until i got psp.

Cokemusic
March 9th, 2007, 23:52
Never bought a Sony console...., Dude what planet where you living on before your arrived at earth ?

FireStag
March 10th, 2007, 04:10
I have both... I actually gave my old DS to my mom so she can play tetris and stuff... and I got a Lite :) but yeah I have no good games for the thing so I'll have to update my collection.

Poem58
March 10th, 2007, 04:39
I have both, or shall I say I have a PSP and my 2 year old boy has a DS...Gave it too him almost a year ago before he turned 2...hes now 2 1/2 and runs around in Mario 64DS going in and out of rooms and exploring...he can't seem to do the face control scheme but uses touchscreen to navigate and recently figured out how to do the screen and jump button. By 3 I figure he might be able to understand WHAT to do, but right now he knows every nook and cranny of the minigames and main game which gives him hours of fun running from room to room and around all the levels. Also to my chagrin how to erase ALL the save slots.....

I'll never get it back. but he CANNOT have my PSP.

jools
March 10th, 2007, 13:55
...and by 4 he'll be the best gamer ever:thumbup:

I have a ds and a psp but iv only just really started playing the ds because for a while the only good game I could find was mario64. All the new games coming out seem much better though but the psp's still my fav:D

animekid4
March 10th, 2007, 14:59
I have both, or shall I say I have a PSP and my 2 year old boy has a DS...Gave it too him almost a year ago before he turned 2...hes now 2 1/2 and runs around in Mario 64DS going in and out of rooms and exploring...he can't seem to do the face control scheme but uses touchscreen to navigate and recently figured out how to do the screen and jump button. By 3 I figure he might be able to understand WHAT to do, but right now he knows every nook and cranny of the minigames and main game which gives him hours of fun running from room to room and around all the levels. Also to my chagrin how to erase ALL the save slots.....

I'll never get it back. but he CANNOT have my PSP.

Im suprised he can get the minigames.That is great for a two year old.

My mom asked me to give up a game system for lent.I choose my psp.(cause i wanna get pokemon diamond.)

Uchuu
March 10th, 2007, 18:14
well i'm not really part of that percentage anymore. I used to be, until i gave my DS to my gf.

Honestly, I wasn't really into the games on the DS.

My gf on the other hand loves Nintendogs and all the other "cute" games on it (Like harvest moon and animal crossing).

I think i'll just stick to my PSP, especially since the OE firmwares from Dark Alex arrived...