PDA

View Full Version : Is a 512 mem card, big enough for a film?

oasismark
April 26th, 2005, 18:18
As title and also, wherer is best place to get mem cards from?

AlexB123
April 26th, 2005, 19:06
Depends on the compression, Id go with a 1024 one instead.

www.newegg.com <--- Buy stick here.

wraggster
April 26th, 2005, 19:11
yeah id say a 1 gig too

unless you want an unwatchable film

psplover
April 26th, 2005, 19:13
512 is big enough for a full quality movie once its resized to the lower resolution and bit rate. 30 minutes = 130MB at 576 bit, 48kbps sound.

wraggster
April 26th, 2005, 19:23
whats the best way of converting (tutorial would be cool)

Greensprout
April 26th, 2005, 19:26
Depends on the compression, Id go with a 1024 one instead.

www.newegg.com <--- Buy stick here.

Do they ship to the UK?

oasismark
April 26th, 2005, 19:57
Duo pro, pro duo?????

What am i after so i know i'll get the right one?

Jdemon
April 26th, 2005, 20:28
It's a Memory Stick Pro Duo you are looking for. I would also recomend getting a 1GB card...they are probably gonna be a little harder to find but if you want good quality Videos to watch you will probably be running over 650MB for most movies. Personally I've been using 3GP to convert my stuff...either avi files or vob files from my own DVD's. I use the "29.97fps/768kbps Stereo/128kbps" setting.

As an example my I Robot.avi 1h54m43s@ 998MB converted to a 734MB mov file for the PSP using the above settings and looks/sounds amazing IMO. The quality also depends on the quality of the original file or course.

oasismark
April 26th, 2005, 21:34
I just ordered a :

SanDisk Memory Stick Duo Pro 1024Mb

Is that wrong then?

And i need a

SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo 1024Mb?

How confusing!!!!!!!!

Dan255
April 26th, 2005, 22:25
I just ordered a :

Is that wrong then?

And i need a

How confusing!!!!!!!!

Yes you need to order a SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo card. The one you originally ordered wasn't 'Pro' so it wont work with the psp.

Dan255
April 26th, 2005, 22:29
I use PSP Video 9 and the whole movie of 'Ali G In da house' on low quality (but it looks of a very good quality on the psp and sounds great) only takes up 179mb and therefore there is plenty more room on my 512mb stick for about 50 songs, games saves and loadza, loadza photos!

Odie
April 26th, 2005, 23:11
Yes you need to order a SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo card. The one you originally ordered wasn't 'Pro' so it wont work with the psp.

I'm sorry, but what are you on about? :rolleyes:

The PSP will accept all Memory Stick Duo cards. Non-pro cards go up to around 128mb in size, anything larger than that is usually a "pro" card. The PSP will take either type of card, as long as it is a "duo" one.

I just ordered a :

Is that wrong then?

And i need a

Unless I'm missing something those both say the same thing :confused:

I hope that helps
- Odie

AlexB123
April 27th, 2005, 00:13
Yes Newegg ships everywhere... I think, lol.

A 2 hour + movie would still not fit on a 512 stick, so go with a gig. Just watching out for ya.

Odie me thinks you are correct.

psplover
April 27th, 2005, 02:43
I'll right a little guide.

Ok heres what you'll need.
Where gonna be converting AVI's of DIVX/XVID/and anything Virtual Dub regular can handle.

First you're gonna need virtual dub.
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdub/VirtualDub-1.5.10.zip?download

Next load any file you want.
If it's a widescreen movie you'll need to do some resizing and editing.
Click video > Filter > Resize.
Make the Resize to 416x176
Now go back to filters and click on the resize once. Once on the resize hit cropping.
Remove all of the black borders off your movie.
Hit compression. Choose Xvid if you have it. Divx will work also. Choose 2pass mode.
File > Save

Now that you have your resized video you'll open up RapiZ video encoder.
http://www.nivasoft.com/rapiz/rpspvc24.exe

Open up RapiZ.
It will be defaulted in Spanish.
There will be 4 options at the very bottom pick the second one which is Language. The Choose whichever language you speak and read.
Pick these options.
Search. Load your video file now
Video Quality 576, Audio 48, Click off stero as it doesnt matter, choose 2 pass.
If its a widescreen video in video resolution pick 416x176.

The reason why you do the pre encode in Vdub is so you don't have Black borders on a already videoscreen video. This will happen with tons of videos you're converting if they arent from DVD. VCDS SVCDS and avis mostly.

The only difference for fullscreen videos is in dub you pick 320x240 in resizing instead. Also pick it in Rapiz.

You're movies will be about 450MB.
Remember these will be perfect quality. This isnt low quality anything. You should not see any grain at all if you're source didnt have any. Also 512 stick only actually whole 485MBs. Just be sure to remember that.

oasismark
April 27th, 2005, 10:10
I'm sorry, but what are you on about? :rolleyes:

The PSP will accept all Memory Stick Duo cards. Non-pro cards go up to around 128mb in size, anything larger than that is usually a "pro" card. The PSP will take either type of card, as long as it is a "duo" one.

Unless I'm missing something those both say the same thing :confused:

I hope that helps
- Odie

One says "Pro Duo" and one says "Duo Pro", other way round.

Is it a typo then?

Anyway i cancelled the order incase it was wrong, so still looking for a good cheap supplier.

I should be getting my PSP today, good news is it's got spiderman 2 film in it, bad news is my mate didn't get any games for it, so i need to buy some games aswel.

Odie
April 27th, 2005, 12:37
Pro Duo and Duo Pro are the same thing ("Duo Pro" is probably the wrong way round), the key word is "Duo" which means that it is the physically smaller version of the memory stick format.

What sort of pricing did you have that order in at? (if you don't mind me asking)

- Odie

imac
April 27th, 2005, 12:49
I purchased my 1gb Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo from http://www.mymemory.co.uk for £84.00 + P&P

Unfortunately they are out of stock but expecting them in shortly.

Incidently all my movies are in the region of 280 megs in size. In fact on the odd occasion, depending on the original movie size, I've managed to squeezed two movies in under 512mb.

oasismark
April 27th, 2005, 13:08
Pro Duo and Duo Pro are the same thing ("Duo Pro" is probably the wrong way round), the key word is "Duo" which means that it is the physically smaller version of the memory stick format.

What sort of pricing did you have that order in at? (if you don't mind me asking)

- Odie

It was about £87. + P+P

It was out of stock anyway.

oasismark
April 27th, 2005, 13:10
I purchased my 1gb Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo from http://www.mymemory.co.uk for £84.00 + P&P

Incidently all my movies are in the region of 280 megs in size. In fact on the odd occasion, depending on the original movie size, I've managed to squeezed two movies in under 512mb.

Think i'll get one from there and wait for stock, definatley the cheapest out there i've found.

Jdemon
April 29th, 2005, 12:36
Hey psplover, I definitely will try your methods...when I have the chance...any idea of ways/progies to convert .mov or .wmv files...maybe a 2 part conversion?

psplover
April 29th, 2005, 16:40
those 2 are a pain in the ass.
Search for virtual dub 1.3C it can convert wmv files(some of them anyways)
Or use Sony's Movie convert at the highest Setting on everything and convert them to mp4 that way then convert the mp4 back to a avi then do the process. I know its a pain in the ass but Sony's convert just makes files outargiously to large with no quality.

www.dvdrhelp.com has tons of guides on converting almost anything to anything.

psplover
April 29th, 2005, 16:56
Also for QT movies you can use quick time pro to convert them to avi's.

Vimes220
April 29th, 2005, 21:11
I purchased my 1gb Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo from http://www.mymemory.co.uk (http://www.mymemory.co.uk/) for £84.00 + P&P

£84 thats seriously cheep :eek: