PDA

View Full Version : New PSP User, Need some help

Watsonator
March 10th, 2007, 17:58
Ok, I do not yet have a PSP but I am seriously thinking about getting one. The thing looks amazing, and not to mention I have a PS3 which will enable me to do multiple things.

Basically I am just wanting to know everything that can be done, just today did I realize all of the capabilities that comes with the PSP. So pretty much I just have a load of questions that I would like answered.

Pricing:
-Where should I get my PSP?
-Is ebay worth it?
-How much should I be looking to spend?
-Would you buy a used one?

Emulation Stuff:
-Can you really emulate games from the ps1, n64, and other consoles all for free?
-If so, is this stuff hard to do? I am very noobish.
-How is the quality on these games?
-Could I please have some links to guides explaining how to do this stuff? Or could someone just give me a brief explanation?

Miscallaneous:
-Can you browse the web?
-Can you get movies, music, pictures, all for free?

Size:
-How much space is on the PSP?
-If I am wanting to play emulations and watch movies am I going to need to buy extra sticks or something?

Firmware:
-I read something saying that I shouldn't get the latest firmware because I can't emulate.
-What is downgrading and why do I need to do it?
-Is downgrading easy?

I am really interested in the emulation side to the PSP, frankly, being able to play all the Final Fantasy games for free is really appealing to me.

Thanks for the help, no flaming please.

Watsonator
March 10th, 2007, 18:05
Edit:
-If you can download emulations, can you also download PSP regular games for free? (games that are for the PSP)
-What are the best emulators?

ICE
March 10th, 2007, 18:09
price
- $200 new so get one used if you can save money. new ones can be downgraded i think so its really only about the $$$

emu
-it can handle nes, snes, ps1 (perfectly), n64 (getting there),...

misc
- you can surf the web and it works as a video/audio player

size
-you'll need a bigger memory stick. at least 1gb will run you $20 off ebay

firmware
- a 1.5 psp can be upgraded to an OE firmware made by a hacker. it allows you to play ps1 games for free.
- downgrading is VERY easy and only slightly risky

EDIT: ok you cant talk about downloading commercial games like for psp and ps1. its illegal so yeah.

Triv1um
March 10th, 2007, 18:13
Pricing:
-Where should I get my PSP?
Pre-owned from local game shop?

-Is ebay worth it?
Yes

-How much should I be looking to
spend?
Maybe £120 english

-Would you buy a used one?
Yes, because you dont really wanna risk it

Emulation Stuff:

-Can you really emulate games from the ps1, n64, and other consoles all for free?

Its illegal to download them, but yes you can if you have custom firmware.

-If so, is this stuff hard to do? I am very noobish.

Its very easy :) PM me if you need any help

-How is the quality on these games?
N64 games suck at the moment. The rest are great.

-Can you browse the web?
Yes you can :)

-Can you get movies, music, pictures, all for free?
Again its illegal to download, but if its ripped yes you can.

-How much space is on the PSP?
Depends on memory stick size, you can get
16mb all the way to 8gb

-If I am wanting to play emulations and watch movies am I going to need to buy extra sticks or something?
I recommend a 1gb to 8gb memory stick.

-What is downgrading and why do I need to do it?
Sony make new firmware to stop some functions of the psp which could be used as illegal activitys (this takes away homebrew capabilitys)
Some when you downgrade you get these capability's back

-Is downgrading easy?
Yes, read up first though.

-If you can download emulations, can you also download PSP regular games for free? (games that are for the PSP)

PIRACY, DONT BE A PIRATE!!!!! but yes you can.

---

Hope this helped abit.

xg917
March 10th, 2007, 18:14
no games are "free" dont be a pirate.

buy ur psp at walmart or soemthing and look on the side of the box for a single letter. you will mostlikely see a letter K. if u find letter K then buy it. then u can downgrade it right away.

yes u can emulate all this stuff

yes u can browse the web and put your own videos and music on ur psp

um.. space is determined by memory stick that you buy.

you cannot do anything with these versions: 3.10 & 3.11 so dont update at all if u get any lower versions

downgrading is easy. you need to downgrade to use homebrew emulators and stuff like that.
then you can update to a custom firmware like 3.03 OE oe 3.10 OE (OE is a special firmware mix between 1.5 and 3.XX so you can do anything the latest firmware can do and also still use emulators and anything)

ICE
March 10th, 2007, 18:17
one thing:: DONT UPGRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dreamwalker
March 10th, 2007, 18:28
Wow, you don't wish to know much do you? lol. Just kidding.
Pricing:
This will depend on where you are from, but anywhere from £100 - £150 UK or $100 - $200 US depending on whether you buy new or used from a shop. Online prices vary even more. More important is the FW that is installed. It is important to ensure that it is 3.03 or lower and also better to avoid psp with TA-082 motherboard as this is trickier to downgrade. Ideal is FW 1.5.

Emulation Stuff:
Emulation is relatively easy. But always be cautious as if you make mistakes it could brick your lovely new psp! Still highly recomended as FF is superb on psp! :D This link (http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=51852) points to a great tutorial on the process and everything involved.

Size:
I would recommend 2Gb mem card for FF.

Miscallaneous:
You can only surf web via wi-fi on psp.

Firmware:
Dark_AeX FW 3.10 OEA' is the latest and greatest FW for people wishing to emulate.
Downgrading is as it sounds a way to go from a new FW to an older version. It is quite easy but see above caution

Hope this helps ....:D

Nicko01
March 10th, 2007, 19:54
Actually, you should get a 4gb. It's only $50 now.
I love mine. You can put a lot of games and video on it.

Axelius
March 10th, 2007, 20:24
Actually, you should get a 4gb. It's only $50 now.
I love mine. You can put a lot of games and video on it.
You say 4gb is enough?? A few days ago I would have agreed, but now after I have downgraded, my memstick has only 11mb left because I have so much homebrew on it (especially PSOne games)

Back to topic: Yes psone works at full speed, many older consoles are also emulated at full speed (like gameboy, gameboy advance...), and I really like the video-player function (it's really nice when you're sitting in an airplane and you're watching some good movies and not this crappy airplane-tv)
Moreover some homebrew games are REALLY good (I don't know what I would be doing all day at school if Doom was never ported to PSP:cool: )

In the end, I would never give my PSP back...

Triv1um
March 10th, 2007, 20:54
(I don't know what I would be doing all day at school if Doom was never ported to PSP:cool: )

Maybe school work? :rolleyes: