PDA

View Full Version : Re: Japanese PSP Question

gobz
March 11th, 2007, 00:19
I am thinking about purchasing a japanese psp.

If i update a Japanese PSP with the latest american firmware:

Will it be just like owning an american PSP?

I want to basically have a seperate psp for future psp-ps3 functionality.

Thanks in advance -gobz

hodgy47
March 11th, 2007, 00:33
Yes it will the PSP consoles are all the same its the language thats different if you flash with U.S. it will be in english, I think but i may be wrong if you're buying new when you get it and first switch it on the first option is language and think they cover all of them anyway so just choose english.

gobz
March 11th, 2007, 00:47
Will i be able to run US games and Umd's?

hodgy47
March 11th, 2007, 01:46
Again yes cos the psp's umd drive and firmwares are region free and if you upgrade to a custom firmware you can change all these settings in the recovery menu too.

Sugam
March 12th, 2007, 16:37
just remember NO WARRENTY

i bought a DS from JP and it was subject to the defective hinges and i was SOL

Cloudhunter
March 12th, 2007, 16:55
US games will work fine on a Japanese PSP, my girlfriend has one and UK games work fine.

If you are using custom firmware then you might be able to play US region movies using region free, but I've heard that it's not 100% reliable, and there have been alot of difficulties.

Upgrading using a American update will not change anything, the updates are the same for every PSP, Japanese, European, OR US.

Cloudy

Shrygue
March 12th, 2007, 18:19
The only difference having a Japanesse PSP instead of a UK or US one is the X and O button assignment. O is confirm and X is cancel whereas it's the other way round for all other territories. It can be changed using custom firmware though.

Prasoc
March 12th, 2007, 19:14
I have a jpnese psp and it is EXACTLY the same as a uk/us!

Shrygue
March 12th, 2007, 19:16
In terms of button assignment?

FFXSage
March 13th, 2007, 23:59
I actually prefer the Japanese X and O switch.
I know they've been changing the controls since the PSX for English versions but why did they start it in the first place?