PDA

View Full Version : 5 features we want from a Sony PSP redesign

Shrygue
March 13th, 2007, 19:23
via Games Radar (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/psp/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=20070313113631140019&releaseId=20060313144256984085)

Whatever you might think, PSP has been a success. Nearly 25 million of the sleek gaming portables have been sold since it was first launched in Japan at the end of 2004 .

However, PlayStation Portable could use some work. And, if the recently refuelled rumours of a redesigned PSP 2 are to be believed, Sony knows it.

Certainly here at GamesRadar we reckon PSP hasn't yet reached its full potential. Sony just needs to unlock the handheld's strengths and cut down on the weaknesses. So here are five things that we'd like to see included in a reworked PSP, aimed at improving its gaming credentials.

A better LCD screen
Don't get us wrong - PSP's gorgeous, bright screen still makes us grin like it's Christmas. But PSP's refresh rate (that's the speed it can update the image on screen) leaves something to be desired. With a better refresh rate PSP would lose those ghostly trails, and movies and games would look so pretty we'd doubtless be moved to joyful tears.

Integrated GPS and camera
GPS is cool, it's as simple as that. MGS Portable Ops hinted at the gaming possibilities - though only with the GPS attachment available in America and Japan - and combining GPS positioning with in-game action is exciting. Then, with an inbuilt camera, PSP could feature video-phone and camcorder abilities. Make it so, Sony.

Longer battery life
That whirring UMD guzzles battery power, but we'd expect to see Sony bring its laptop experience to bear in extending PSP's juice use. With DS offering a whopping amount of gaming time from a single charge, making PSP more efficient should be job one if Sony really are planning a new version.

Onboard flash memory
At least 5gb, please. This would stop us needing to buy new, easily-losable memory cards, and we could even see a PS3-insprired feature help with PSP's notorious loading times - if Sony let us upload a chunk of the game onto a PSP's harddrive, we could enjoy commuter gaming without the waiting.

No software restrictions
A real pipedream this, but if it was easier to transfer any kind of movies or footage onto PSP or play 'homebrew' games or software, Sony could turn PSP into a techno-geek's wet dream. Plus, it would mean the less experienced of us would still be able to watch next week's episode of Lost on the way to work.

Concept image of redesigned PSP here (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/psp/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=20070313113631140019&releaseId=20060313144256984085). Leave feedback via comments.

michael_dack_2005
March 13th, 2007, 19:41
Yea all of those things would be good, but i want to see a second Analogue Stick. Medael of Honor Heroes would be sweet with that.

Plus, get rid of the UMD, too slow, pointless with Memory Sticks

Triv1um
March 13th, 2007, 19:53
5gb flash memory will never happen.

and indeed dual nubs is MUST

factor remix
March 13th, 2007, 20:00
I would love to see a hard drive...

Cap'n 1time
March 13th, 2007, 20:04
Onboard flash memory
At least 5gb, please.

ridiculous. that would make it cost WAY too much money.

As for an actual hard drive... well moving parts would significantly shorten the PSP's lifespan. Also the additional need for electricity would burn out the battery quicker.

burrito
March 13th, 2007, 20:09
It looks like a mix between an N-gage and Sega Saturn Controller....:eek:

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb//images/mb//GamesRadar/gb/Hardware/PSP/Everything%20else/PSP%202--screenshot_large.jpg
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/image/nokia/n-gage-qd/pic01.jpg
http://www.racketboy.com/blog/saturncontrol.jpg

El Payo
March 13th, 2007, 20:11
Yea all of those things would be good, but i want to see a second Analogue Stick. Medael of Honor Heroes would be sweet with that.

Plus, get rid of the UMD, too slow, pointless with Memory Sticks

Dual Analog for the win. A lot of decent PSP games would be made awesome with that simple addition.

mib_
March 13th, 2007, 20:15
Bluetooth is a must.

USB that can support a joypad, steering wheel, mouse and keyboard. :D

Audio out moved to the top of the unit instead of the bottom corner.

Power connector added to the middle to allow better docking capability... in fact a proper docking station would be nice.

mib_
March 13th, 2007, 20:17
oh, and USB 2.0 external drives.

DeleterX
March 13th, 2007, 20:30
All the New Features are great, also maybe some1 agree about 3.2mp like k790/k800 SonyEricsson phones, also gps and gprs(so it can be a phone) and finaly at last 5gb in flash system or support for multy memory reader, so it wil have everithing in 1 console, 3d gaming phone, camera, gprs, videos audio, wifi, internet exploring, emulators, what else?!.

Boardman2411
March 13th, 2007, 21:28
any disks used could use blu-ray technology, therefore making for larger games, and even ports from the ps2. also, the cpu speed need improving. they could even incorporate a dual core and there must be more shoulder buttons.

pubudu
March 13th, 2007, 22:29
EWWW hardddrives

"psp2" should have
dual analogstick
no software srstrictions ATLEAST with movies
obviousely itll have better graphics
and it should have more ram
and it should be able to play "psp1" games too

i dunno something to prevent dust from getting under screen and into buttons and stuff

notepad

CD player HAHAH J/K

pubudu
March 13th, 2007, 22:31
and requirements to play ps2 games maybe even ps3
(and hackable to play xbox and 360 games)

xg917
March 13th, 2007, 23:01

never gona happen with ps3 and any xbox games..

also.. i wouldnt want it to be a NEW SYSTEM... just a redesign of the original system. cuz i think its gay that then we wont be able to play new games on our old psps.. and then no homebrew.. if they launch this with the same system but with just a new firmware, that would be great!.. the new firmware can have all that stuff that u guys are asking for:
better CPU speed - notepad - contact lists - different video and audio formats can be used - no software restrictions - and more usb supported devices like keyboard

the psp2 should only be a redesign is all i am saying. the firmware can change everything else itself

justisasha
March 13th, 2007, 23:05
Hi anyone help me with maps for me psp i belive i have a psp thats not homebrew can i still get my gps system to work in the uk or wat

Cokemusic
March 13th, 2007, 23:11
Hi anyone help me with maps for me psp i belive i have a psp thats not homebrew can i still get my gps system to work in the uk or wat

Short Answer No if it ain't homebrew.

Back on topic

kaffie
March 13th, 2007, 23:18
Dual Analogue.

Or a way to put the whole thing in some kind of custom PS2 style controller - I have massive hands and cramp is an issue...

ab88
March 14th, 2007, 01:30

never gona happen with ps3 and any xbox games..
the psp2 should only be a redesign is all i am saying. the firmware can change everything else itself
I believe he/she was just being sarcastic about how the posts were getting ridiculously stupid.:p

Agree with you on the redesign and firmware expansion (so it would work on current systems too), but I really doubt Sony would like to kill the PSP now that hardware sales are starting to get solid.

Edit: BTW it would be kinda stupid and pointless to implement 5Gb (or GB, or GiB, or Gib whateva)of memory as memory goes in multiples of 2, check it out -> 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, and now 8GB...

ICE
March 14th, 2007, 02:18
dual analog WILL NOT HAPPEN. if its a simple redesign they wont include new buttons and crap. its just a makeover NOT a new system! i suppose saying you want is fine but dont expect it. think along the lines of cosmetic improvements and things that dont change game play.

Welshboy
March 14th, 2007, 02:18
The battery life is a huge issue, i bought a 3rd party one off ebay for something stupid like £3 and it gives me about 12 hours worrth of play. Sony have no excuse for that.

Broadus
March 14th, 2007, 02:32
Are they on crack? Why does a PSP need GPS and camera functions? What about a damn second analog stick?

psp411
March 14th, 2007, 02:54
well lets c.. wut else cud be added for da new psp?? everythin i c her is great... rly nothin else but another analog stik... ye i kno itsa popular item wanted for da psp but its da 1 thing that would make the psp even cooler than it already is :D :cool:

PLZKLLME0080
March 14th, 2007, 02:57
if sony would do all of this for the rumored PSP2, I would toatally get it!

techgt
March 14th, 2007, 04:31
VIDEO out would be nice too ...

Cap'n 1time
March 14th, 2007, 05:56
All I need is DivX and Xvid support.. unfortunately, sony isnt a fan of open source formats... We'll probably have to do that on our own.

Also if we ever got bigger memory sticks FLAC would be pretty nifty too.

dejkirkby
March 14th, 2007, 07:56
I agree with the last two comments. Divx/Xvid would be great, as would video out. Those, along with dual analogue on a ball rather than a flat bed would be great!

Ichijoe
March 14th, 2007, 09:19
5 features we want from a Sony PSP redesign

5) Dual Analog Sticks

4) Exclusive Content

3) Exclusive Content

2) Exclusive Content

1) No Crappy Movie Formats ~Just worry about the Games *See Points 2,3 and 4~

starogre
March 14th, 2007, 10:38
As long as the next psp is not overpriced, has those five things AND has an extra joystick and two more R + L buttons, i'd buy it, otherwise I'm fine with the old one's ability to emulate and play as many games as i can fit on my 4gb stick...

Stone Temple Pilots
March 14th, 2007, 13:27
not meaning to be cruel, but whoever thinks the PSP2 needs to have a GPS and phone in it, is thinking like a MORON. C'mon, GPS is very cool, but this is a gaming system w/ video and music thrown in as extras, not a freakin attachment for a car. Phone feature is the most ridiculous thing ever. Did you see how well the N-Gage did? Pretty freakin badly if you look at overall sales. This isn't a car attachment nor an N-Gage wannabe, this is PSP. The 5 best features it should include IMO are:

- 2nd Analog stick (FPS games are crap without one)
- Stronger wi-fi card to get a much better internet connection from just about anywhere.
- More supported music and video formats
- Much longer battery life (obvious reasons)
- Built in 1GB or 2GB flash drive (it will never happen but it would be a nice surprise).

If they included the Media Manager software inside the box w/ the system, it wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Paho
March 14th, 2007, 18:30
I would also like to see a second analouge stick PLUS a an improvement on that friggin anoying directional buttons!! its getting on my nerves. You can't press down left or right etc, unless you have a fat finger covering the whole shit. Thats what I hate most about the PSP

jerrt
March 14th, 2007, 18:32
"At least 5gb, please. This would stop us needing to buy new, easily-losable memory cards"

and that is why it won't happen. i mean, i'm a sony fan, and i'm hoping it would happen, but that sentence sort of kills

Cokemusic
March 14th, 2007, 20:27
"At least 5gb, please. This would stop us needing to buy new, easily-losable memory cards"

and that is why it won't happen. i mean, i'm a sony fan, and i'm hoping it would happen, but that sentence sort of kills

You spelt sony wrong it's $ony