PDA

View Full Version : Sony Confirms New, Slimmer PSP in the Works

wraggster
March 14th, 2007, 18:14
Another story about a newer PSP coming soon this time from gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/sony-confirms-new-slimmer-psp-in-the-works-244158.php)

It's only been two days since we reported on those PSP 2 rumors and already a Sony exec has made our rumor official by confirming the company's plans to make a PSP2. Sony Computer Entertainment UK managing director Ray Maguire was quoted as saying the new PSP will be more pocket-friendly, thanks to a smaller and lighter design. Maguire also said the PSP2 will have the same screen size as the current PSP. So we're basically looking at a PSP Lite. No word on when it'll launch, though we here at Giz are wondering if Sony will plan on actually making games for the new PSP.

xg917
March 14th, 2007, 18:17
good news! :) :D
now we dont have to worry about anything.
one thing that we definately know is that a new firmware must come with it... more hacking on our way :)

Ultima Chocochu
March 14th, 2007, 18:43
So it is basically what the DS did....
Oh well.

ish420ism
March 14th, 2007, 18:47
Hackers be prepared

Shrygue
March 14th, 2007, 18:52
So the PSP 2 will be smaller though keeping the current size screen. I wonder what that will look like?

xg917
March 14th, 2007, 18:55
yea i really wonder.. . . maybe just thinner but not smaller in size.. we never kno untill we see it

remember the first photo of the psp?? with the fishes on the screen? man that looked kool to me. everything was flat

Davezombie
March 14th, 2007, 19:01
theres not really a way for it to be smaller unless they make it flip like a GBA or something. The buttons would need to be moved for it to be smaller

Ultima Chocochu
March 14th, 2007, 19:30
All I can think of is thinner, cause if the screen is the same size, it most likely means the PSP is going to be the same length.

Uchuu
March 14th, 2007, 19:38
A thinner PSP eh? Sounds intriging. If it looks cool, and homebrew gets unlocked, I"ll consider getting it.

burrito
March 14th, 2007, 19:44
I hope the battery lasts as long as the DS lite.

leonalchemist
March 14th, 2007, 19:50
i really dont think i will be a 'psp 2'
i think when a psp with a HDD will come in then it would be consider more of a psp 2, even though it won't be anyway.
But i think going with a redesign a the psp, sony should focus more on making improvment on it, like 8gig flash memory or a good 60 gig HDD
Making a slimmer psp doesn't really interest me, actually it's kinda useless & it sound kinda hard to make, cause when you look at it the screen & UMD reader are very close to each other already, so how can they make it slimmer.
But if they make a psp with a hard drive, then thats definitly a good reason for me to buy it, but again we'll have to wait for another firmware downgrade. :(

like everyone else Sony, no homebrew 'n nobdy gonna buy a psp that the way it is now, & it doens't have to be illegal anyway, copyright says that it must be a back up copy to have the games, & in most cases i own so many ps1, & gba games already, so i'm not gonna carry both psp & GBA to play both console.
But then don't go telling me having neo-geo & mame and other homebrew is illegal.
I mean really what shop still sells those game
they should even make it legal nowadays since it's basiclly impossible to buy legal copies of those games, so there:p .

come to think of it sony should include the features from 1.5 version into newer ones with ps1 emulator. I just bought a psp recently with a 1 gig stick & since I got firmware 3.03 & i can't do much with it since i cant use homebrew unless i buy GTA & im almost out of money, and again nobody gonna buy a psp + many games on it since we don't got so much money, does they games makers think we're multi millionaire or what. myself, well my parents got quite a bit of money but i can't even afford games for it, only homebrew :p cause its free

60gig psp + homebrew = dream come true:D

dmac
March 14th, 2007, 20:02
smaller ligher and easier to steal and break.....

crypysmoker
March 14th, 2007, 20:05
i swear this has gotten so out of hand its ridiculous...

I mean.. over the past week its been over and over again about a new psp. denied, confirmed... anyone else getting tired of this?

I mean.. exactly how many times does this have to be posted before some sense kicks in ad says "hey, before go posting this all over the place.. maybe we should just wait until there is offcial word on it.

Rumor after rumor.

I just dont understand

Triv1um
March 14th, 2007, 20:15
smaller ligher and easier to steal and break.....

Haha, yeah.

I think sony are a bunch of money grabbers.

I have said it many times before, they do this with even god damn console.

What the bloody hell is the point?

If it had extra hardware, etc. it wouldn't be so bad, but all it is, is 'smaller'.

They done it with the PS2. No change except size, but they charge double.

It sucks.

mavsman4457
March 14th, 2007, 20:32
With it should come a price cut. If they did that then they would really start selling PSP's. And if this thing has a firmware that if homebrewable or if that Devolution mod chip comes out and I can put that on it then I just may buy it.

IM back!
March 14th, 2007, 20:49
i won't buy it as long if it dosen't have more than yust a smaler size. also: no homebrew no buy!

Veskgar
March 14th, 2007, 20:56
What is a bummer is that it will almost certainly not be easily exploited to run homebrew immediately upon release. I may get one of the initial release versions and never upgrade it hoping for an eventual exploit.

I can't imagine it being that much smaller unless they shrink the buttons to tiny proportions such as the DS. I don't think the DS Lites small buttons would work well with the PSP.

I bet it could be made a lot thinner.

I just really hope for a much better LCD screen. The Ghosting can get ridiculous at times. Longer battery life is a must also. And if it doesn't have INTERNAL storage, it would be nice for it to come with a complimentary 4GB or 8GB memory stick.

I bet it will look sexy as hell and if it comes in more than 1 color it would be great. I know I'll want one, I just also know I would not really use it that much if it cannot do all the cool stuff the original PSP can.

wiredforpower
March 14th, 2007, 22:00
I want one but I wont get it until the fw is exploited.

Broadus
March 14th, 2007, 22:07
Time for a second analog stick. Even though a PSP remake couldn't have more buttons, as it's a remake and would play the same games as the first version, a second analog stick could simply act as the face buttons so players could have two analog sticks for games like first-person-shooters, even though it'd render the face buttons useless.

samthegreat68
March 14th, 2007, 22:43
somehow, i fail to care about any of this

PSPages
March 14th, 2007, 23:43
i swear this has gotten so out of hand its ridiculous...

I mean.. over the past week its been over and over again about a new psp. denied, confirmed... anyone else getting tired of this?

I was thinking the same thing, one day it's a rumor, confirmed, denied, confirmed by "insider" denied, rumored, confirmed....

I fail to see any real way they can make it smaller and keep the same screen size without making the buttons impossible to use. Remember the initial square button issues caused by the PSP's "sleak" design in the first place anyone?

If I remember correctly, a lot of PSP owners had an issue with an awkward grip due to the size as well. Make it smaller, make it harder to play in my opinion. I dont think many people have thought this through and have been blinded by the whole "smaller, lighter" thing.

I think Sony need to spend more efforts on getting decent games out before pushing out a new batch of hardware. I mean they should have given polyphony digital a swift kick up the jacksie by now as the GT franchise is a flagship on the PlayStation platform. Shown when the PSP first launched then vanished without a trace, I am doubtful that it will ever see a release to be honest.

xg917
March 15th, 2007, 00:21
every1 is saying no homebrew, no buy.. of course its not gona have homebrew the first day it comes out. but the thing is. that. i would rather buy one the month it comes out because sony will ship more psplites that could have even more updated firmware. and then if we buy one the time homebrew comes to the new psp then we will still be stuck with the NEWEST firmware.
right now we dont know where noobz or dark alex are now. so we cant garuntee anything homebrew wise quickly. since we cant even get homebrew running on 3.10 or 3.11..

Psphreak
March 15th, 2007, 00:58
thinner in theory sounds ok but my hands get tired. I have to use the logitech case to get a perfect grip on it

JKKDARK
March 15th, 2007, 01:02
whatever, I will not buy another PSP

Chameleon
March 15th, 2007, 06:20
Ill believe it when i sees it

The Virus
March 15th, 2007, 07:03
So it is basically what the DS did....
Oh well.

Sony has resized their consoles since ps1 you ****head

Uchiha Sasuke
March 15th, 2007, 09:19
I'm happy with my current PSP. As mentioned before, unless $ony put a big HD and flash memory in it then I won't even consider buying this new-look version at all. I think the current PSP looks fine anyway. Another money-grabbing plan in my eyes. They won't add any new features except a new firmware.

pichon
March 15th, 2007, 10:09
For me this is the best news, much better than a totally new PSP. As a redesign, it will be much more hacker friendly, we'll save a lot of money on MS if it really comes with internal memory, and we'll get better pad and buttons, battery life and size supposedly.

Great news indeed. My suggestion, buy one as soon as it comes out and don't update, it will always be the easiest to hack.

JKKDARK
March 15th, 2007, 11:05
Sony has resized their consoles since ps1 you ****head

Sega did it since the early 90's with the Genesis/Mega Drive

PLZKLLME0080
March 15th, 2007, 13:17
I'd be willing to bet that by the end of next year, a 3rd PSP will be out that will sopposedelly be more pocket frenly than the PSP2.

Stone Temple Pilots
March 15th, 2007, 13:25
Wow, a thinner PSP. Great... What's with this new trend of having much slimmer models of handhelds? In the end, they're all just handhelds! Sony seems to miss the fact that this "PSP2" will cost them a ton more money than it'll probably make them. I've had my PSP since the release day of Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, and I have to say that I like the PSP as it is. It definently looks "sexy" compared to that piece of crap rectangle people call the DS Lite. A message to anyone that wants a flash or HDD in the interior of the new PSP: IT WON'T HAPPEN. They said it's going to be slimmer and smaller. Adding a flash drive or HDD (especially) will thicken it. If anything, they might remove internal parts from it. Who knows, we might even have to buy a headphone adaptor to use headphones (SP owners know what I mean). And don't tell me that if I don't like it, don't buy it, 'cos I don't plan on it. Off topic: Anyone play MGS:PO online?

Buddy4point0
March 15th, 2007, 16:20
they should make it so that there is nothing at the top or bottom of the screen. that would make it almost and inch smaller that way. then put the buttons closer to the screen and make the sides go all the way up to the buttons. that would be almost and inch that way. then add a second analog stick. make the psp thinner. and add r2 and l2 buttons that flip up from the back so that it wouldnt be bulky when carrying. also add a second memory stick slot and sell games on memory sticks instead of crappy umds. that way you could take out the umd drive.