PDA

View Full Version : PSP: Something Happening Soon

wraggster
March 14th, 2007, 21:04
via 1up (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158013)

Something needs to happen with the PSP, ASAP.
That's the message retailers have, according to our sources, sent Sony. With sales of the PSP lagging (Sony's PSP hardware shipments to retailers last Fall were down 72 percent over the year before, only a meager 10,000 units in the U.S.), word is that a few big name retailers have given Sony a mandate: drop the price or they'll drop the system from their stores. Entirely. With shelf space at a premium, the expectation is for Sony to do something substantial to keep its hardware moving -- or else.

Coming up on the second anniversary of the PSP (March 24th), a price drop seems possible -- after all, the price was lowered by $50 two days before its first anniversary last year. But according to Sony, that's not yet in the cards. Speaking with John Koller, the Senior Marketing Manager for the PSP, at the Game Developers Conference last week, 1UP learned that a price drop was not announced to retailers at Sony's Destination PlayStation retailer event last week.

But something else was.

According to Koller, Sony did share plans that got retailers excited. Of course, what these plans were exactly, he wouldn't say. Could they be new PSP colors that have been previously shown and released in Japan and Europe? Or could they be the redesigned PSP with 8 GB of flash memory that's been rumored for ages? Or could they be the launch of some new PSP video/music download service? We'll likely have to wait a few more weeks to find out.

And whether it's coming soon or later down the road, a redesign for the PSP is in the works. According to Koller, Sony is in the process of reducing parts and potentially adjusting the size -- similar to what's been done with the PS1 and PS2. "I can at least say this much, the screen won't be changing in size," he said.

It seems that Sony hopes to repeat the success Apple has had with the iPod's pricing structure -- thanks to new colors and models, the iPod's price has largely remained the same over the years. Koller also admitted that Sony paid close attention to the spark in sales the DS Lite iteration of the Nintendo DS caused once it released.

One thing is clear, though: something will happen with the PSP soon. Now, we just need to wait.

IM back!
March 14th, 2007, 21:12
not good for the psp :(

Bastion
March 14th, 2007, 21:46
There is no way the psp only sold 10,000 units in the US last year. They sell that many in a month in Japan.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
March 14th, 2007, 21:59
There is no way the psp only sold 10,000 units in the US last year. They sell that many in a month in Japan.

that because monster hunter 2 came out not tat lng ago, a Japan are crazy with that game!!!:thumbup:

Broadus
March 14th, 2007, 22:04
"I know, guys! Let's work even harder on making movies that have to be bought exclusively for the PSP! That's been a complete failure in the past, but it'll get us somewhere for sure now!"

gdf
March 14th, 2007, 22:16
sony are shit marketers all of a sudden. also they are shit at judging the state of their newer hardware. psp: FAILED. PS3 is likely to suffer the same fate. what is the point in a games console that does lots of stuff but has crap games?

pt9087
March 14th, 2007, 22:48
Sony do suck but they have a trap to leading people to buy there products i think PS3 will be a huge hit

Veskgar
March 14th, 2007, 23:26
I would hope for the new colors to finally come to America. However, lots of reports of people importing colored PSP's and getting them pre-installed with 3.10 firmware which means NO HOMEBREW!

If I can downgrade it, I'll buy a silver Metallic PSP in a flash if it was released in the US.

Price drop would be great also. $149.99 for just a core PSP package would be reasonable.

punkypine
March 14th, 2007, 23:53
10,000 were sold in a month, not year.

samthegreat68
March 15th, 2007, 00:01
none of this matters to me, i have a psp and have no need for another. i got rid of my 2nd one when custom firmware came out

Basil Zero
March 15th, 2007, 01:16
Hmmm

looks bad in sales

but thats info from last year, i'm sure PSP will be better in sales this year around.

I'm sure there will be some surprises coming out soon

and wonder what the latest buzz is about..thats supposedly making retailers happy...hmm..interesting....

Mc_Logical
March 15th, 2007, 11:14
sony are shit marketers all of a sudden. also they are shit at judging the state of their newer hardware. psp: FAILED. PS3 is likely to suffer the same fate. what is the point in a games console that does lots of stuff but has crap games? i dont agree with u there buddy, the ps3 will kick ass and games will be wicked, and the ps3 will get hacked just like the psp and maybe run or will run emulators maybe a ps2 emulator etc, and homebrew, who knows maybe ps3 iso`s like the psp? hmmm! i see that coming dont u? :thumbup: like i said the ps3 will kickass, once games start to kick off n shit wooo! lol

zeon x
March 15th, 2007, 12:31
The PS3 has already been "Hacked".
It runs Linux and as such will run loads of emulators.

Still not going to save it. Its just too expencive and with the way Sony is at the moment i wouldnt expect any price cuts any time soon.
Plus with the Europe version of the PS3 haveing Zero backwards compatability with PS2 and PS1 games. Its going to bomb on launch day. (Seems Sony have removed the hardware to run old PS2/PS1 games and have not produced a firmware update to enable software emulation)

Stone Temple Pilots
March 15th, 2007, 13:51
Hmmm, if they put out an American-ized version of the Japanese white PSP, I'll buy it on launch day! I'll take a white PSP over homebrew anyday. And no, I'm not crazy.

Buddy4point0
March 15th, 2007, 15:35
this sounds great i love when sony makes new firmware improvements then dark alex makes a custom firmware out of it

Stone Temple Pilots
March 15th, 2007, 17:23
this sounds great i love when sony makes new firmware improvements then dark alex makes a custom firmware out of it
I hear that. Dark_Alex is digital Jesus.

jurkevicz
March 16th, 2007, 01:10
Nowdays I can't wait for a new Sony Firmware!

Buddy4point0
March 16th, 2007, 02:04
Dark_Alex is digital Jesus.

thats the perfect quote ever!!!!

nhlhockey
March 16th, 2007, 03:48
Maybe you guys shouldn't believe every piece of trash you read on the internet.

Buddy4point0
March 16th, 2007, 06:10
psht. what r u talking about u noob. if they say something bigs comming its most likely true

R4mbo
March 16th, 2007, 18:19
I dont care if sony goes down. After the shit they did with liksang and the high price of the PS3 i havent buyed anything from sony anymore. I'm happy to see that other people are consequent, too.

Gold Line
March 16th, 2007, 21:15
he has got a point if there was no homebrew on psp no one would buy it i bought mine because of all the homebrew there is for the psp sony are dead and it looks like nintendo are going to be best
ps1=good
ps2=great
psp(without homebrew)=bad
ps3=sh*t
R.I.P sony

nhlhockey
March 16th, 2007, 22:06
psht. what r u talking about u noob. if they say something bigs comming its most likely true

I've had my PSP since it was released in Canada 2 or 3 year ago or whatever it was. I'm just older that 13 years old and don't post stupid replies like you do. Thats why I dont have many posts.

SnesR0X
March 17th, 2007, 00:11
It's still going to happen, whatever they ment by it. Even if it's nothing big to us, something that they deem to be huge will happen to the psp. Remember 3.00 firmware? not a huge improvement, although that's what they had everybody thinking. Only thing I cared about that was the ps1 emu, and they could have released that way earlier...