PDA

View Full Version : Game Review: Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (PS2)

Shadowblind
March 15th, 2007, 01:22
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
Publisher: Namco
Developer: Namco
Genre: Action
Players: 1

Klonoa. Probably the most woefully underrated game series out there. Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil for the Sony PS2 went almost unnoticed on the greater scheme of PS2 gaming. Another reason why it may have not gained recognition is because it came out around the time of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Talk about bad timing, huh? In any case, the 3D platformer has gained the respect of most who've played it.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/games/drg100/g102/g10274dx68m.jpg

Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil gameplay revolves mainly on its 3D set up as a platformer, with a few twists. As with all games in this genre, it is a side-scroller adventure with you fighting baddies along the way. Unlike most platformers, though, you don't simply run through each level hitting anything that moves along the way. You also must solve certain puzzles along the way with each level. These puzzles seem complicated when you first run into one. However, by the time you finish, you'll be smacking you head, thinking "Oh! It was so simple! Why didn't I think of that..." The game isn't all about puzzles, not at all. While there are many challenging puzzles there is also the classic smack-around-the-bad-guy feel to it, as you often use enemies to solve puzzles, among other things. The battle system is unusual and rather original. Not the effect of smashing bad guys, but the way you do it, and how they can never really be destroyed.

Rather the a shooting, jumping, or smashing way of fighting, Klonoa 2 uses an original-classic pulley battle system. Pulley may not be a good word, but the idea remains the same, as you take in enemies into a special weapon, and use them to unlock puzzles, or smash them into other enemies, or use them to propel to new heights.

The story is a classic "Save the world scenerio" with a couple of new and old ideas. You play as Klonoa, Namco's half-mascot, waking up into a different world, which leaves a lot of the WTF feeling in the air. They still use they're own language, much like in Animal Crossing, so even if you know Japanese you won't be able to understand what they're saying, despite the accent similarities. Woken up by a apprentice priestess and her dog, they instantly dub you the "dream traveller". You are almost tricked into helping the girl earn her priesthood, but all is well, as that was apparently neccesary for the plot. You learn that only the so-called "dream traveller and his sacred weapon" can save the land of Lunatea from a destructiv force. You embark on a journey along with the priestess and her human-like dog to ring the four bells to seal off the evil that will reveal itself in the King of Sorrow.

Onto graphics. Unlike the first few Klonoa games, this game is rendered in full 3D, no sprites involved. The first Klonoa game rendered 2D objects in a 3D background. Klonoa 2 has what players called "awesome visuals" for its time. The cutscenes were among the best of the graphic moments, when the visuals were nicely mixed 2D-3D. The gameplay graphics weren't too far behind, making this game a for-its-time(not before) in that department. Posted is a screenshot of in-game play during a sentry boss-battle:

The textures in that screenshot are smooth due to the circumstances, much of all boss battles run graphics in a much smoother fashion then during Vision gameplay(levels). Here are some screenshots of the natural side-scroller level play:

http://www.gamepro.com/screens/104955/10264-2-2.jpg
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/medialib/screens/screenshot_28267_thumb300.jpg

The music track isn't one you'll be likely to hum to, but its definately one you won't hold your ears hoping for a bomb to come before the end of the track. For the type of game, its considered a nicely, well rounded soundtrack, that (I've never really noticed it during gameplay, but I've never really listened)will keep either a calm or rushed mood, depending on the levels circumstance. The OST was even demanded enough to be created and released a few months after the game being released.

Well that was a bit to type. Rather enjoyable, I guess. Heres my rating on Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil for PS2 Sony Entertainment System.

Replay Value 3/5 Not too much to be had in this department, once you beat the game its usually the same thing over unless you do some of the mini-quests. Replaying does give an oddly good feel compared to most games.
Sound 4/5 They matched the scenario being played upon, thus making them a good style for-the-moment music, as well as sound
Graphics 4.5/5 Not bad at all, not what I'd call a masterpiece but for its time it was a huge advance form the original 2D rendered on a 3D set.
Gameplay 5/5 There isn't much more you could ask in a platformer. Klonoa 2 is almost what I'd call the absolute perfect platformer.
Score:
http://games-reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review/review4.gif

If your looking for a platformer, there isn't much better choice then this game. It has everything from long eared cats to air pirates.

This review is by Shadowblind for and at DCEmu, the Homebrew and Gaming Forum.

Junixx
March 15th, 2007, 01:48
I might have to check this out later...

bandit
March 15th, 2007, 14:09
I never really got to play Klonoa. Had the PS1 version but for resell value since it was hard to find at the time. If I ever decide to pick it up, I'll get it at Goozex (http://www.goozex.com/go.asp?ref=dcemu.co.uk). I have some extra points that needs to be used.

And keep the reviews coming. There are games I never really looked into until I read these reviews.

Shadowblind
March 15th, 2007, 19:10
Thanks for the comments. I plan to make a game review for Klonoa 2: Dream Champ tournament for GBA released in '05.

gdf
March 15th, 2007, 22:51
nice review, screenshots = good idea, i'll incorporate them in mine in future!