PDA

View Full Version : VMUTool Problems (Won't Load!)

joeyjwc
April 30th, 2005, 20:05
Hello, I'm new to VMUTool and such. I recently modded my VMU to take AA size batteries, so I want to download some minigames from the web to it. To do this, I have heard that the best option is probably VMUTool. However, I was unable to get it to work. Here is a basic description of what I did.

1. Downloaded VMUTool .7 as an SBI file from the author's website.

2. Used Selfboot Inducer to create and SBI2BOOT Inducer folder of just the VMUTool file (I am not going to add any games or anything at this point; I'll probably put those on another CD). I then clicked on the Nero (DAO) button and it made a Nero DAO image.

3. I used Nero 6.6.0.1 to burn the image to a CD-R. No problems reported.

4. I inserted it into my Dreamcast. The little Dreamcast startup logo came on and then went directly to the main screen of the BIOS. I tried pressing Play, but then the console just reset itself.

I know that I'm probably doing something totally wrong and will get flamed like heck for being a newbie and asking this question, but you never know unless you ask. So, if someone could help me out a bit, that'd be really great!

Thanks in advance.

DCDayDreamer
April 30th, 2005, 21:08
I'm not 100% sure but I think you need to use TAO for DC images with Nero 6

joeyjwc
April 30th, 2005, 21:43
Hehe, such a simple solution... Silly me.

Thanks a lot for your help, it works very well!
---
Another newbie question: Do I need the VMI file, too, or just the VMS? I downloaded a bunch of minigames from BlueSwirl, but they were only VMS files. My guess is that I do need the VMI and will need to use VMIWriter for each one of them

DCDayDreamer
May 1st, 2005, 03:51
To be honest I haven't used VMUTool so I've no idea if you need the VMI files as well as the VMS files, you might want to check this thread, there's a pre-made DC image packed with loads of saves:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4287

EDIT: it's a Discjuggler image so you'll need to convert it to a Nero image, check here for the info you need (look at the bottom of the page for a CDI2TAO.EXE download):

http://www.dcevolution.net/goto.php?id=17

SiZiOUS
May 2nd, 2005, 01:19
3. I used Nero 6.6.0.1 to burn the image to a CD-R. No problems reported.
Never, and i'm crying it, never, use NERO 6 to burn DC images. Only Nero v5.5.X.X, or if you want, DiscJuggler.

Do I need the VMI file, too, or just the VMS? I downloaded a bunch of minigames from BlueSwirl, but they were only VMS files. My guess is that I do need the VMI and will need to use VMIWriter for each one of them
You must have a valid VMI assigned to a VMS file. If you haven't a VMI with the correct VMS, VMU TOOL won't work with this VMS.

You can use the VMI Editor from the Speud website, or if you want, use the VMI Writer from LyingWake.

joeyjwc
May 2nd, 2005, 02:34
Is there any program to mass create VMIs?

SiZiOUS
May 2nd, 2005, 13:00
Don't know.

Maybe can i do that...