PDA

View Full Version : Emulation on the PSP, What Can we Expect if they fully Crack the Console?

wraggster
April 30th, 2005, 19:25
The PSP is a very powerful Handheld console with a uncapped speed of 333MHZ,(at the moment its capped to conserve battery life), the logical step is to use Memory Cards that have up to 2gig of capacity and that begs the question what is the PSP capable of emulating. Well im sure a Keyboard add on will come soon and if you look at what the GP32 has in the form of emulators you can start the mouth watering. Personally with the speed factor i would say (making sure they crack it first) that Snes and Megadrive emulation could be full speed and you may even get a decent GBA emulator not to mention the possibility of a PSX emu being doable.

What do you thinks posible with the PSP Specs.?

AlexB123
April 30th, 2005, 20:10
First, the things we will probably see, and speed estimates.

- Well, all the classics. (8 bit) at perfect speed.
- All the 16 bit consoles (perfect speed).
- MAME (Speed depending on game).
- All the gameboys up to the GBA (perfect speed).
- Lots of useless emus like the TI's and Apple, etc.
- NeoGeo (Speed depending on game, probably perfect).
- 32X (Speed depending on games, usually 100%).
- Sega CD (Should be perfect speed).

Here is where it will get interesting. These are in the "maybe" column.

- PSX (Possible 70%+ speed, probably more).
- Saturn (Hmm, having contributed to a now dead Saturn EMU I can tell you one thing. If someone makes it possible)...
- N64 (Can't say. Entirely different architecture then the PSP. Where the PSX is similar).

Yes there might be display issues, but nothing a lil creative resizing won't fix. Parts of the screen will be black but think of it like watching a wide screen program... erm yeah, that’s it lol... But imagine the black on all sides, lol.

psplover
April 30th, 2005, 20:45
Theres always streching features. Plus PSX emulators have the option of extending the drawing range of the screen. So you take the 320x240 put it in the middle the draw off to the size and mush the 320 to a 176 reso.

wraggster
April 30th, 2005, 20:51
wireless emulation gameplay will be an amazing feature too if its doable and what about psp-ds connectivity too

ganon
April 30th, 2005, 20:57
i want n64 emulation
zelda oot (starts drooling)

whats the cpu speed of n64

psplover
May 1st, 2005, 00:40
I think its around 30mhzish. www.zophar.net has about of bs technicol things if you wanna look it up. I'd love to see DS to PSP conectivity. I've mentioned it to my friends tons of times and they just dont see it as a good idea.

ganon
May 1st, 2005, 02:47
well the psp has analouge stick which will be perefect for n64 games
mario 64 any one

Narles
May 1st, 2005, 02:51
I am eager to see what the emulation scene for the PSP will be looking like. It'd be so sweet to get to play my Sega Genesis and PSX games on my PSP. (I know about the Sega Nomad but that thing was a brick and sucked battery juice like nobody's business.)

rmedtx
May 1st, 2005, 06:12
I would love to play BOR mods in PSP.

Onetonbullet
May 1st, 2005, 06:39
We cant even get psx to emulate 100% on a high end pc, so dont expect that....Besides, xbox is 733mhz, and psx does not work well there.....Also dont expect to see a real working n64 emulator......Just look @ what PS2 has emulated, and you'll get a pretty good Idea of what to expect......

Clare
May 1st, 2005, 08:59
Well I'm hopeing we will get an Amiga emulator, things like Pinball Fantasies, Chaos Engine, Lotus and the Amiga Desktop with web browser etc would be fab!

SchmuckofNI
May 2nd, 2005, 06:35
I really hope that we get a proper PCE emulator and hopefully its free considering the only good PCE emulator for the pc is magic engine.

m00rpark
May 2nd, 2005, 10:08
i agree with the other guys....

N64 ON THE PSP WOULD BE THE SHIIIIIIIT....

Zelda OOT..... drewls too...... uuuugh

But i think it has all the capabilities mentioned in the second reply.. i mean ... seriously this system is powerful... its just up to the programmers to make it work right.... O MAN I JUST THOUGHT OF IT... GOLDENEYE for N64.... but .... MULTIPLAYER WIRELESSLY........

**Dreams** :eek: :rolleyes:

ganon
May 2nd, 2005, 12:57
goldeneye mario kart.....

Cap'n 1time
May 2nd, 2005, 14:37
i want to see linux boot on this thing. that opens doors to everything pretty much... but id love to see cps1,2 and neogeo on this thing.. oooh and impact/zinc and snes and gba and n64 and .....

hell i just want to see everything on this system. its very capible after all..

aseddon130
May 2nd, 2005, 17:26
We cant even get psx to emulate 100% on a high end pc, so dont expect that....Besides, xbox is 733mhz, and psx does not work well there.....Also dont expect to see a real working n64 emulator......Just look @ what PS2 has emulated, and you'll get a pretty good Idea of what to expect......

in fact, any PC with more than 1Ghz Pentium 3 and about 512MB RAM and anythin more than a GeForce 2 can emulate a PS1 near perfectly, with a 90%+ compatibility rate. All you need is ePSXe amd all the plugins and it works flawlessly, as for the xbox emulating the PS1, i have the PS1 emulator for it and that also works flawlessly with the compatible games, but this isnt because of the spec of the xbox it all the emulators fault, i think it's a port of a crappy PC-PS1 emulator so in theory if somebody ported over the ePSXe to the xbox it would work perfectly.

as you said, just look at what emulators are on the PS2 to get a rough idea of what it could run.

ganon
May 2nd, 2005, 18:49
yeah cps2 and neo geogeo
bit of street fighter and metal slug

Onetonbullet
May 2nd, 2005, 19:40
90??? yeah right, besides thats still not 100% is it?
My point was PSX emulation isnt perfect on my 2.4ghz pc with a geforce 6800, so dont expect too much out of the PSP.(333mhz)(32mb ram).....There was a perfect PSX emulator for dreamcast......The only way N64 and PSX is going to run perfectly on the PSP is if a commercial quality emulator is built from the ground up to take advantage of specific resources the PSP has.(Like bleemcast)............

PS2 has been around for a long time, and we still dont have a N64 emulator working there........Sorry peeps dont flame me, but I will make a prediction:
There will be no PSX or N64 emulation for the PSP period.
(Heres an idea! go buy a 333mhz pc with 32mb of ram.....then put in the best GPU money can buy and try to get PSX or N64 working!!!)

Onetonbullet
May 2nd, 2005, 19:46
I really hope that we get a proper PCE emulator and hopefully its free considering the only good PCE emulator for the pc is magic engine.

I can promise you that will happen :)

ganon
May 3rd, 2005, 01:39
well snes emu better happen

psplover
May 3rd, 2005, 01:48
90??? yeah right, besides thats still not 100% is it?
My point was PSX emulation isnt perfect on my 2.4ghz pc with a geforce 6800, so dont expect too much out of the PSP.(333mhz)(32mb ram).....There was a perfect PSX emulator for dreamcast......The only way N64 and PSX is going to run perfectly on the PSP is if a commercial quality emulator is built from the ground up to take advantage of specific resources the PSP has.(Like bleemcast)............

PS2 has been around for a long time, and we still dont have a N64 emulator working there........Sorry peeps dont flame me, but I will make a prediction:
There will be no PSX or N64 emulation for the PSP period.
(Heres an idea! go buy a 333mhz pc with 32mb of ram.....then put in the best GPU money can buy and try to get PSX or N64 working!!!)I seriously dont see how its possable for you to be having problems with psx. It runs full 60 frames with enhancements on, on my pc.

800x600, fullscreen smothing, texture quality normal, texture smoothing, color above average, auto frameskipping(no more than 2), extend screen.

I have a 1.8ghz p4, an 9200 SE pro and 512mb 3200 ram.

aseddon130
May 3rd, 2005, 02:00
there was NEVER a perfect PS1 emu for the Dreamcast, i can only assume u are talking about Bleemcast, which was a pretty poor PS1 emulator. also the Mhz and RAM on a handheld console doesnt work the same way as it does on a PC, do u really think a game with excellent graphics quality, high quality sound and brilliant framerate, for example, Ridge Racers, would work on a 333mhz pc with 32mb of ram??? NO WAY !!! A PC of that power could not even run a SNES emulator (Trust me ive tried them on worse computers)! and if PS1 emulation is not perfect on your PC OneTonBullet, then there is something wrong with it.

I agree with you that an emulator will have to be made from the ground-up, and have to take advantage of the PSPs power, and you are probably right, there will probably not be a PS1 and N64 emulator, but hell, we can hope for it :D

My personal opinion, i reckon that any console made before 1995 (before Saturn and PS1) will run on the PSP flawlessly ... which will suit me VERY well ... i mean cmon, theres a SNES emulator on the GBA, and that aint got 30% of the power the PSP has! The only people that will know what kind of emulators we can expect, are the people making it ... so all we can do is sit here, twiddling our thumbs ... and wait!

AlexB123
May 3rd, 2005, 02:24
All the emus I listed will most likely happen (It will just take time).

A. PSP is similar to the PSX... There’s not that many features to emulate, so a PSX emu should happen. Most of the stuff is already built in. We just need a good dever.

B. One of my buds developed one of the first N64 emulators out there. I asked him If I can mention his name but he said no, so to respect his privacy I am going to keep it quite. The requirements for it were a 300 MHZ CPU with 32 MB of ram and a Voodoo 2 based chipset. (In fact I just loaded it up on my old old old PC that just meets those requirements). It played Mario 64 and Zelda at near perfect speed, if not perfect. Now a PSP, which is designed for gaming (mostly) should be able to emulate it. After all systems designed JUST for gaming are a lot more powerfull then their PC counterparts of the same specs... Just need a good dever.
(As someone mentioned look at bleemcast, and Rand isn’t the only one that has the time and patience to do this.)

C. Look at the Gameboy. It has a SNES emulator. Compare the specs... Hmmm... Not too powerful... That’s because the GBA can already do a lot of things the SNES can, so not many things are emulated from the ground up. (Heck, look at the horrid GP32 and all its emulators.)

Please do some research into emulation before you say things will never happen. If you would like to have a good emu resource, here is a good link that should explain a lot of things. Also don’t be afraid to search through IRC or newsgroups.
http://www.zophar.net/

So if the PSP gets some good developers we should be fine and dandy.

As for a PSX emu not running well on a 2.4 ghz system, its one of 2 problems...

A. Driver issues. Update to the latest. Sound and Video would make a huge difference.
B. Plugin issues. Make sure you use the "best" ones for the game you are playing. I use EPSXE with the following plugins:

Video - Pete's OpenGL2 2.6 - Max graphics
P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9 - Max sound settings.

The games I am currently playing are GT, FFT, Arc the Lad 3, and Ogre Battle. All play at around 60 fps. (I actually had to limit the FPS on a few games because it was going over to unplayable speeds.) All games look stunning on my PC, way better then my PS2 can do.

Btw my test PC is a 1.4 GHz PC with 1 gig of 2700 ram (DC) and a 6600GT (Oc’d). And I run them at 1600 by 1200 and 32b color.

--- EDIT
Btw Aseddon130 although I don’t want to disagree with someone who has a pic of my future wife on their PSP I will have to go and say that bleemcast was amazing. Im not talking about the general blue CD, but the individual game CD's. Btw your post was not there before I started my rambling and you made a lot of good points, although once again I disagree that SNES cant run on a low end CPU. I got zsnes to run on a much lower system then a 300MHZ pc, well not much... lol 200MHZ. If I find an older one ill give it a try.
To get em to run faster on low end systems you should disable some things or use a game shell that doesn’t suck up resources.

SchmuckofNI
May 3rd, 2005, 02:52
Theres an old saying about emulation. If your processor is 10x that of the system you are trying to emulate you should be able to run it. Pity I can't recall who had said that.

psplover
May 3rd, 2005, 05:39
That really doesnt apply for consoles runing on consoles. It honestly only applys to consoles runing on pcs. And whoeever said Bleemcast wasnt Perfect is obviously playing the Leaked non finshed 20% complete beta.

ganon
May 3rd, 2005, 12:47
so is ne 1 know if there r emus being worked on?
hell i have snes emu and megeadrive on my nokia 6600

aseddon130
May 3rd, 2005, 14:01
--- EDIT
Btw Aseddon130 although I don’t want to disagree with someone who has a pic of my future wife on their PSP I will have to go and say that bleemcast was amazing. Im not talking about the general blue CD, but the individual game CD's. Btw your post was not there before I started my rambling and you made a lot of good points, although once again I disagree that SNES cant run on a low end CPU. I got zsnes to run on a much lower system then a 300MHZ pc, well not much... lol 200MHZ. If I find an older one ill give it a try.
To get em to run faster on low end systems you should disable some things or use a game shell that doesn’t suck up resources.

well ok, maybe the spec of the PC that a SNES cud run on was wrong, but u understand what i meant,m as for bleemcast. it is impressive to get the PS1 working on the DC but it is certainly not perfect, ePSXe is a much better PS1 emulator ....

and How Dare you talk about my missus, she is all mine :P

souLLy
May 3rd, 2005, 14:10
there was NEVER a perfect PS1 emu for the Dreamcast, i can only assume u are talking about Bleemcast, which was a pretty poor PS1 emulator.

It emulates the games it was supposed to flawlessly, and adds improvements too. I'd like to know what is poor about this.

also the Mhz and RAM on a handheld console doesnt work the same way as it does on a PC, do u really think a game with excellent graphics quality, high quality sound and brilliant framerate, for example, Ridge Racers, would work on a 333mhz pc with 32mb of ram??? NO WAY !!! A PC of that power could not even run a SNES emulator (Trust me ive tried them on worse computers)! and if PS1 emulation is not perfect on your PC OneTonBullet, then there is something wrong with it.

this is because a windows emulator has to deal with the overhead of running an operating system at the same time as the emulator, greatly reducing its speed.

I agree with you that an emulator will have to be made from the ground-up, and have to take advantage of the PSPs power, and you are probably right, there will probably not be a PS1 and N64 emulator, but hell, we can hope for it :D

My personal opinion, i reckon that any console made before 1995 (before Saturn and PS1) will run on the PSP flawlessly ... which will suit me VERY well ... i mean cmon, theres a SNES emulator on the GBA, and that aint got 30% of the power the PSP has! The only people that will know what kind of emulators we can expect, are the people making it ... so all we can do is sit here, twiddling our thumbs ... and wait!

it all depends on the system... amigas still aren't emulated perfectly on a pc due to the complexity of the architecture. the more popular older systems are most likely to come first if the psp does allow homebrew.

SA1K0R0
May 3rd, 2005, 15:41
Seeing how PocketNes was amazing on the GBA, its safe to say that the NES is definitely possible. I would also love to see the SNES (Considering the button layout of the PSP matches the SNES') go on the PSP, the Roms arent that big to begin with, and who can deny that a portable SNES would rock. Sega Genesis would also be amazing, Im a big fan of Gens and I would love to play Sonic the Hedgehog in portable fashion, without the need of relying on my Nomad. Playstation and N64 on the PSP?? That would also be great, but with a lack of buttons compared to older consoles, I personally would have to pass. But then again, Metal Gear Solid on the go.... And we all know that MAME would be a no Brainer. Sign me up!!

Im more of a fan of Emulation rather than a programmer, so these are the things I would love to see. If you think about it, 8 and 16 bit emulation would definitely fit the PSP's bill, the system is definitely possible of doing so. And with the abilities that the PSP has been made possible lately, I wouldnt be suprised when the system is cracked. Its only a matter of time.

-Saikoro

ganon
May 3rd, 2005, 17:35
i cant wait for the system to be cracked

AlexB123
May 3rd, 2005, 20:49
souLLy
this is because a windows emulator has to deal with the overhead of running an operating system at the same time as the emulator, greatly reducing its speed.

Thats not entirely true. Windows is a system hog, but if you run ix, or a gameshell... Well long story short youre right but not 100% (Heck when you run a gameshell virtually no resources aside from those needed to play games are used, heh.)

A videogame system is meant to do just that. Its cpu, graphics chip and ram are meant to do one thing and one thing only, and are customly designed to churn out the graphics and speed.They also dont have to deal with all the delays the PC's have to, well at least not as much. (Bandwith, limitations, etc.)

And Ased I dont mind sharing her if you dont... I'll keep her till shes 30, then you can have her. (I'll upgrade to a younger model.)

Onetonbullet
May 5th, 2005, 06:02
here we go....
I said 100%! and I dont care who you are or what kind of computer you have, PSX emulation isnt perfect! I've been using EPSXE since the beggining, and It's been a long time and alot of work and guess what? It still does not have 100% compatibility! Go to the EPSXE forums and read about compatible games....My reason for pointing that out is this: A port of a pc PSX emulator is not going to run on the psp period...It is going to have to be built from the ground up....
This thread is probably going to go on and on and on, but all you need to do is look at the PS2, a comparable system that weve had years to develop for. If an emu exists for the PS2, chances are you'll see it on the psp...
(and Bleemcast was PERFECT!)

Onetonbullet
May 5th, 2005, 06:30
All the emus I listed will most likely happen (It will just take time).

A. PSP is similar to the PSX... There’s not that many features to emulate, so a PSX emu should happen. Most of the stuff is already built in. We just need a good dever.

B. One of my buds developed one of the first N64 emulators out there. I asked him If I can mention his name but he said no, so to respect his privacy I am going to keep it quite. The requirements for it were a 300 MHZ CPU with 32 MB of ram and a Voodoo 2 based chipset. (In fact I just loaded it up on my old old old PC that just meets those requirements). It played Mario 64 and Zelda at near perfect speed, if not perfect. Now a PSP, which is designed for gaming (mostly) should be able to emulate it. After all systems designed JUST for gaming are a lot more powerfull then their PC counterparts of the same specs... Just need a good dever.
(As someone mentioned look at bleemcast, and Rand isn’t the only one that has the time and patience to do this.)

C. Look at the Gameboy. It has a SNES emulator. Compare the specs... Hmmm... Not too powerful... That’s because the GBA can already do a lot of things the SNES can, so not many things are emulated from the ground up. (Heck, look at the horrid GP32 and all its emulators.)

Please do some research into emulation before you say things will never happen. If you would like to have a good emu resource, here is a good link that should explain a lot of things. Also don’t be afraid to search through IRC or newsgroups.
http://www.zophar.net/

So if the PSP gets some good developers we should be fine and dandy.

As for a PSX emu not running well on a 2.4 ghz system, its one of 2 problems...

A. Driver issues. Update to the latest. Sound and Video would make a huge difference.
B. Plugin issues. Make sure you use the "best" ones for the game you are playing. I use EPSXE with the following plugins:

Video - Pete's OpenGL2 2.6 - Max graphics
P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9 - Max sound settings.

The games I am currently playing are GT, FFT, Arc the Lad 3, and Ogre Battle. All play at around 60 fps. (I actually had to limit the FPS on a few games because it was going over to unplayable speeds.) All games look stunning on my PC, way better then my PS2 can do.

Btw my test PC is a 1.4 GHz PC with 1 gig of 2700 ram (DC) and a 6600GT (Oc’d). And I run them at 1600 by 1200 and 32b color.

--- EDIT

Sorry, I had to quote this post.
Please dont tell me to research emulation. PSX is not 100% emulated...When every PSX game is emulated then fine but now Its not.......I even get crashes on some games.....Check the EPSXE forums...........

As for a N64 emu running zelda on a 300mhz pc with 32mb of ram......yeah The very unstable emu Corn.......Good luck there.....

SchmuckofNI
May 5th, 2005, 06:41
Lets not forget UltraHLE the first N64 emulator to play commercial games all you really needed was a Pentium 2 233 with a voodoo 2 card and it played most games perfectly(at least at the time), if the authors still worked on it today I am willing to bet it probably would have been the best n64 emulator for the pc.

Onetonbullet
May 5th, 2005, 06:50
Heh heh,
When N64 was in its early days of emulation NO emulater played "most" games......

Ok guys FINE...Anything is possible ok? (But its not gonna happen!! heh heh)

SchmuckofNI
May 5th, 2005, 06:55
Well there was a N64 emu on the dreamcast, but I don't think it could play any commercial games. Wraggster would you like to elaborate on this?

Onetonbullet
May 5th, 2005, 07:00
Sorry to be a crazy over and over again poster...
N64, as far as I know was never working on DC....
But It runs on the xbox ok....games like mario, and even Conker BFD even run great....
I have N64 on my modded Xbox, along with just about every game.....only a handful refuse to run...

I would be VERY suprised to see N64 on the PSP

AlexB123
May 5th, 2005, 08:37
Don't know about DC dev, so I can't comment.
And One, that’s true. EPSXE is not 100% compatibility, but with the correct plugins it comes to about 92ish% game compatibility (speed is perfect in all compatible games, and all PSX games I have tried worked perfect for me, accept for Vandal Hearts 2 which after a few romps through the forum gave me the proper plugins and settings to play the game.)
Hey SNES9x is not 100% on the compatibility issues either. It's at about 98% at its current stage, but just like with the PSX emu the games that play do so really well.
Good catch on UltraHLE and it did in fact run most games when it was released. I thought people forgot about it, but I guess that didn't happen yet. Just to mention the authors of that emu came under a lot of heat… Not only from Nintendo but also from fans! Then there were emu leaks and the whole deal was just messy.
As for the XBOX... I think it uses the XDK (Xbox SDK)... which is bad so I will not comment on that, but if you know dx you know XBOX, hehe. That’s why its so easy to port emus to the XBOX.

N64 and PSX emus would have to be built from the ground up, as someone mentioned before, but there are many devers out there with enough free time to do this, heh.

Darksaviour69
May 5th, 2005, 11:17
N64, as far as I know was never working on DC there is a N64 emu for the dreamcast, but it only plays a few demos. the problem is that the DC has 16mb of RAM, that has to hold the emu and the game, and most n64 games will not fit... the xbox uses the harddrive to get round this problem.

psplover
May 5th, 2005, 12:04
Thats not true. Having a HDD has nothing to do with it. Xbox moves the roms to ram just like any other pc would do with cart emulation. The Xbox has 64Mb of ram so it fits almost everything and has special work around for some games that at bigger than that like Metal Slug 3.

Darksaviour69
May 5th, 2005, 12:09
yeah, its steamed of the hard-drive

psplover
May 5th, 2005, 13:32
I thought only roms larger than the memory where down like that.

Darksaviour69
May 5th, 2005, 14:03
yeah, thats what i ment, ;)

Onetonbullet
May 5th, 2005, 23:20
Someone made a good point that SNES emulation isnt perfect on PS2, wait a minute, nes isnt either......anyways I was thinking today,(no it did not hurt much) Do you guys think the PSP is going to get alot more attention than the PS2 because its a portable? It might become a more popular platform for development....

My PSP emu wishlist:

-SNES- -MAME- -NES- -GBA-(A boy can dream cant he?)
-Lynx- -Saturn-(Never happen)
-PCE- -2600-

MAME is gonna be the ultimate! I mean, if they can get it to run on a friggin camera, the PSP will get it for sure. If I could just have my Ms. Pac man *droolz*....She's hot

AlexB123
May 6th, 2005, 01:47
Exactly Oneton, thats my reason as well. Its PORTABLE, hehe. ANd it just looks so sexy.

ganon
May 6th, 2005, 03:00
n64 is my wishlist (you never know)