PDA

View Full Version : An Introduction and a few Questions

eomund
March 15th, 2007, 23:17
Being as I can't find place for introductions I'll do it here. I live in Southern California and I am an avid gamer and all around gadget geek. I'm also an avid surfer, motorcyclist and I'm completely obsessed with cars and Drifting. At this point in time I'm actually a little bit behind in my gaming technology being as the newest system I have is my DSlite and before that a game cube.

Now on to my questions :p . I only just recently bought my DS (About 2 or 3 weeks ago) and I'm suprised on how much I like it. A few days ago I bought a Datel Max Media Player with the Max Media Dock (I'm using a 1GB Lexmark for the flash card). I've been fidling with the thing for the last few days and I'm quite happy with it in whole but I'm unsure how to work almost all the homebrew apps and games I've tried. I'm still unsure if it's because I'm using a DSlite versus a regular DS, or if i have to use a homebrew program to run them. I've done various searches, and I plan on trying a few things when I get home from work tonight.

The one program that seems to be number one for most people is the 'Moonshell' but I haven't been able to get that one to work quite right yet, I'm still trying to figure it out.

I've read that most of you seem to think the 'Max Media Player' is a waste of money, but I disagree.

Thanks for all responce, and I hope I can be an active and helpful member to this community.

-Eomund-

DanTheManMS
March 15th, 2007, 23:34
The MMP/MMD isn't exactly the best choice for homebrew, no. However, many applications can run with some tweaking.

What have you tried so far with Moonshell? I would suggest deleting anything Moonshell-related on your card and downloading the latest version (1.7 or 1.71 I think) from the official website. Run the setup.exe program with your CF card inserted into your computer. Deselect all of the various devices except for the MMD. The other options you can change, like making sure English is specified as the default language and selecting a clock style if you wish to use one. Then let it run. It should copy the necessary files over to your CF card.

Run the MMD and launch Moonshell's .nds file. It should run then.

eomund
March 15th, 2007, 23:55
^ That's actually what I was going to try tonight. Before I was trying to use the one Datel provides on their website.

I'm not willing to hack the DS's firmware (at least yet). I'm curious is the Max Media Laucher compatable with the Max Media Dock? They Claim it's Home brew capable, Is it?

I'll buy it if that's the case, Thanks for your reply.

DanTheManMS
March 16th, 2007, 00:18
I had another user show me some pictures at another forum. Basically, that DS cartridge you call the Max Media Player is actually the exact same as the Max Media Launcher, which is just a NoPass device. It's confusing, as the actual Max Media Player is a slot-2 device just like your MMD but with a built-in CF card you can write to through a USB cable instead of a removeable card.

So basically, you already have the MML, but the sticker on the front is lying to you. All it does is launch whatever is in the GBA slot in DS mode. Without it, the MMD would be completely useless, as it only functions in DS mode to begin with.

eomund
March 16th, 2007, 00:49
The question remains that I can't seem to run most games. I can run some but most just turn the screens white or block out. I'm still not sure if I need to use another app to work them.

DanTheManMS
March 16th, 2007, 01:15
Hm, not really sure what to tell you. Make sure you're using the .nds versions of homebrew, not .ds.gba. I've also heard that sometimes renaming one to bootme.nds will sometimes help, and something to do with changing the clock to 00:00 I think. I'm not that familiar with the device you see.

Like I said, it's not the best homebrew device ever.

madda cheeb
April 19th, 2007, 09:52
hello every one, im new here so could you help me out.

eomund
April 19th, 2007, 18:27
In regards to what? Are you looking to buy or bought and have questions?

Junixx
April 20th, 2007, 04:00
The question remains that I can't seem to run most games. I can run some but most just turn the screens white or block out. I'm still not sure if I need to use another app to work them.

In most cases when this happens it just isn't compatible with the MMD, if you could i would recommend to get a Supercard Lite or some other Slot-2 or slot-1 solution

eomund
April 20th, 2007, 17:39
In most cases when this happens it just isn't compatible with the MMD, if you could i would recommend to get a Supercard Lite or some other Slot-2 or slot-1 solution

He for some reason brought back my old post from the dead. I actually own a SC mini now. I still have my MMD because it's still a little better with video than the supercard, and it's also 100% perfect with my scummVM app.

But yes, I agree that the supercard is superior compatibility wize in comparison to the MMD.

Oh and in the process I ended up with a SC lite rumble and immediately returned the thing. Wasn't compatable with a bloody thing.