PDA

View Full Version : Nintendogs selling DS's? Read my review.

AlexB123
April 30th, 2005, 21:03
Hello folks. After about 6 hours with the game I can give you guys a good review. Let me just tell you this. If you are into pet sims, this is your game. If you are not, you will find this as boring and bland as I found it. Hey, at least some good came out of it when I handed my copy over to my friends 9 year old sister, who thinks its the greatest game in the universe.

At the beginning you get to pick from a few dogs. There are 5 on the cart. After you do that, you choose if you want a boy or a girl. Yet again after that you get to pick how it looks. (Limited choices.)
Once you get that out of the way you can begin "playing" with your dog by petting it and things like that. Soon a little bulb popped up and I was told to name him. I named the guy "Spud". It took the DS quite a few times to recognize my voice. Let me give you a hint. DO NOT have the TV on while playing this as it will throw the voice rec out of whack.
After yet more sitting and petting I tried to get spud to do tricks. BTW the light bulb pops up and tells you when the dog is ready to do, well almost anything, heh.
After a while I taught the dog to do some tricks, like "Sit", "Shake" and "^$@*"
Yes it seems you can use ANY word for a command that you would want. If you see the dog do something, and say ^$@* a few times while it does that, it will eventually associate ^$@* with the action it was doing at the time. I thought this was hilarious. Whenever I said "Hey boy, are you a dumb ^$@*" it would wag its tail at me.

All things aside, this had limited appeal to me. Yes there are things you can do (Buy toys, enter competitions, etc) but the game is just so boring. There is only so much I can take, and watching my dog pee is only entertaining the first few times through. If you like pet sims boy is this a game for you! It has so much things you can do with your pet (like throw balls and have it fetch, etc.) But that’s not my cup of tea… Actually, tea isn’t my cup of tea as I don’t really like it.
Oh, if you’re a 9 year old girl, you will like the game as well.
Otherwise, run, run as fast as you can and save the money it cost to buy the game and go with the awesome Super Mario 64 instead!

Now how did I come up with the idea of saying bad words to it? Well, see I was playing it with a friend and we wanted to see just what the AI is capable of. We are both 22 years old and like to torture the hell out of games. Honestly when we saw this game we both got hyped up and thought this game would be like Seaman. (Best DC title ever made. After all having a lil fish dude tell you that he will kill you in your sleep is one of the funniest things that can happen. The game has so much variety! Out of 3 different Seaman games all 3 creatures turned out different. Where as my Seaman was a suicidal trash talking psycho, my friends Seaman was actually pleasant to talk to, with no comments like “Todays the day you kill me… I know, I can feel it, well I say, not if I get you first you good for nothing *muttering obscenities*” The third Seaman was odd. He just swam around muttering words like “pee” and “gargle” Then one day we found him floating dead in the tank… Well that’s what happens when you ask a woman to play a videogame, lol.)

I honestly have no idea why Nintendogs is selling DS’s. Maybe selling them to kids? Or pet lovers? But I can’t see a 20+ year old playing this game for more then 3 hours without wanting to gnaw of his hand so he could stop. Don’t take me wrong, I love childish games. I think Animal Crossing is incredibly fun and Super Mario is amazing, its just that this title was so boring it made me want to kill people. If it wasn’t for my bud constantly saying “Hmm, lets try to teach it some more swears.” I would have given up after about 2 hours.

Hope this review helps you.

To sum up…

If you have kids, get this game. They will love it.
If you are a pet lover, get this game. You will love it.
If you are a girl who always wanted a pet, get this game… You will probably like it.
If you are retarded… Well, depends on how retarded you are… But you might enjoy this? (But you probably already enjoy eating your own drool..)

Otherwise, if you are older then 16 go play something else instead.

Christuserloeser
April 30th, 2005, 21:09
But it looks sooooooooooooooooooo damn cute :) I would prefer Nintencats though :D

shade
April 30th, 2005, 22:32
This game is obviously not for everyone but its the kinda thing that Japaneese love. It won't be as popular in the west.

wraggster
May 1st, 2005, 00:21
this game got a perfect 40/40 by famitsu

psplover
May 1st, 2005, 00:37
Famitsu hasnt been a good magzine since around 1997.

Zaneblade
May 1st, 2005, 01:25
for the type of game it is its amazing and so clever...... for people that dont like this kinda game it sucks major balls!

AlexB123
May 1st, 2005, 02:00
Psp I agree with you, Famitsu sucked since about 98 ish lol, and good point Zane

scrabbus
October 2nd, 2005, 20:50
Erm...I think not somehow...I love Famitsu, me and about 2 million readers worldwide, but hey if your into just looking at the pictures then great. I respect the comments made about nintendogs, but I also feel however as a 32 year old (VETERAN!!) gamer who has more or less seen it all so far having owned and played almost every home console since 1982-ish, I think nintendogs is a great little game. What with a family etc I dont often get as much time on my beloved consoles, but so far this little gem (LAB) takes away the pain and boredome of my wifes soaps et al. I just think its a quality title, but hey dont believe me just check out Games TM, EDGE, and nearly EVERY single US and UK multiformat reviews, have we all got it wrong and Alex got it right...Hmmmmmm...I can smell a fanboy review anywhere, and I can smell the Sony ones a mile away, they like the Nintendo and x-box fanboys, just appear to be very upset at the worldwide success this is, that and yes your right this is selling the DS, well this and many other titles in Japan, and hey lets not argue over regional specifics, the japanese market KNOWS its games, thier charts are a refreshing change from the durge in ours, another EA movie/sports licensed game anyone?
I do hope that people would just love the games whatever they happen to play on, A GOOD GAME IS A GOOD GAME. And lest we forget how many games of late have just been absolutely shameless in thier mediocraty and foul gameplay or lack of it. When a great game is released we should hail it for what it is, GREAT. "OH no because the highly rated game X is on a different console to mine I WONT PLAY IT OR BUY IT" That folks was a tender little generalisation, but you know where i'm headed with this beauty!!! Grow up, yes you heard me GROW UP, this isnt the schoolyard and if your going o become fanatical or display such techno masturbatory fetishism for a certan console, keep it to yourself, your dirty little secret is out!!! And however I try and believe that the days of the spectrum VS c64 days were just a fleeting schoolyard memory, it all just manifests itself a new set of clothes and hey presto, its the fanboy mark 12. phew, Ive said enough...For now, but hey fanboys, dont push me.

King DS
November 15th, 2005, 18:08
They thought about Nintencats but they decided not to as there isnt much you can do, it would just wonder off and bring back a dead bird