PDA

View Full Version : Game Review: Quake 4 (Xbox 360)

Shadowblind
March 16th, 2007, 22:17
Quake 4
Publisher: Activision
Developer: id Software
Genre: First Person
Players: 1

Quake 4 is produced by id Software inc. for the PC and Xbox 360 Computer Entertainment system.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/games/drg200/g223/g22365k8uwm.jpg

Quake 4 may not be as well known around as Doom 3 (even though they were made by the same people and company), but that doesn't keep it from being an all-around better game. Quake 4 looks to have incorporated all the needs that Doom 3 didn't have fullfilled, such as the flashlight-on'a-gun for one. Quake 4, when first shown at the 2005 E3 convention, fans flipped out of their minds for this game. The graphics, gameplay, and classic scenerio had many people, me included, waiting on the edge of their seat for this incredible FPS. We were waiting for gold...and we got platinum. The graphics, AI, weapons, and pretty much anything else incorporated in this game were much more advanced then the best up to this point. The gameplay becames highly repetitive after a while, though. The multiplayer is also a bit overused for various reasons.

The graphics for Quake 4 are the best I've seen until the time I bought it in 2006 as the first 360 game I got. I was stunned at the level of detail on each individual level. Textures were different for almost every part of the level, none repeated themselves through consistancy. Even when looking close to walls and sides, weapons and pretty much anything, the textures didn't became grainy or pixaled, for lack of a better term. They retained their smooth and shiny display from point-blank to distances half-across the level. The characters were almost life-like, having individual features such as a larger nose, bigger jaw, different eye colors, and whatever else there is to have on physical featuring. Such as the detailing in the next screen-shot:
http://chadypu.com/quake4/4t.jpg
The lighting is often very dark, which makes the light attachment for the guns come in very handy.

The AI in the game, both enemy and ally were nice, to say the least. It wasn't what I'd call an AI revolution, but the enemies often knew when to dodge and when to shoot, as did the allies. What amazed me is how id made the allie's movement. They used actual people with motion sensors to replicate movement into a virtual "skeleton". They used that skeleton as a basis for the movements of your buddies in-game. They add in textures and physical features of the characters and put them in-game. The result? An artificial ally thata replicates the same movements in the same style that the actor performed in reality.

Gameplay is the real deal in Quake 4. The gameplay features the standard shoot-and-get-shot style that all good FPS have and has made id Software famous. You, as corporal Mathew Kain set out with Rhino squad to break through the Strogg enemy lines to take out their central system called the Nexus. While along the way, you confront the Makron, the leader of the Strogg whom Mathew Kain killed in Quake 2. How hes standing in front of you is another story. You are shipped to a Strogg processing facuility where you are turned into a Strogg--literally. But before they have time to implant in your head the chip to make you obey they're every command, the remaining Rhino squad busts you out. Thus you, in your strogganized state go with the rest of Rhino squad to finish the job, and take Quake 4 features a great variet of weapons from both Quake 2 and Quake 4 introductees. This can range from the Rotosaw and the Nuclear pistol, to the clip-loaded shotgun and dark matter cannon(the Quake alternative to Dooms BFG9000) which creates a black hole, sucking in furnature and enemies alike.
While writing this my friend next to me said "I'd hate to be on the recieving end of that" when I showed him a shot of what it can do. Try being on the recieving end in multiplayer. It's not too fun I'll bet...

Multiplayer isn't near as good as it could have been. Still gun, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't utilize some of the nicer features of Quake 4. For instance, its maps are directly ported maps from Quake 2 with better graphics. There are very little parts of Quake 4 multiplayer that are original to Quake 4 and not the rest of the Quake series. Another bad let down is the fact that Quake 4 cannot be played multiplayer by 2 or more people on one Xbox 360. You can system link up to 8 Xbox's though for a game of up to eight players. You can also play online multiplayer through Xbox Live. The sad part is id seems to have forgotton all about co-op, which would be very nice in Quake 4 considering its dim storyline and levels. Heres a screenshot for the masses, although its shrunk so it doesn't show good detail.
http://www.amdzone.com/pics/gaming/quake4/shot00106_small.jpg

Now onto ratings:

Graphics: 5 out of 5
I couldn't really ask for anything better. For its time up until this day, its graphics have proved amazing. Those shots aren't even in HD!

Sound: 4 out of 5
There isn't much to talk about, but the music varies from the creepy moments in the game where the music is a sorta blurred Twilight sound to those heart pumping moments where Quake 4 shoots out the hard rock. Yeah!

Replay Value: 4.5 out of 5
Due to the ability to choose from 5 different difficulties this game has a great replay value. That, and the fact you unlock achievments for almost every level you finish in a certain difficulty, tagged with chievments for finishing a level with only one type of gun at a time. Tons of gamer score for you!

Multiplayer: 3 out of 5
While not being awful, it sure isn't very good due to the limitations it has on a single Xbox and having pretty much only maps from Quake 2.

Gameplay: 4.5 out of 5
In my opinion the best FPS I've played to this day. And yes, I have played Halo 2 before. No it stands no chance in comparison to Quake 4 single player. Multiplayer on the other hand...

Overrall: 4.5 out of 5
If you liked any of id's games or FPS games, ranging from Wolfenstein to Halo 2 you'll love this game. That is, if you can stand a little freakiness here and there. And if you liked Doom 3, you'll love this game.

Score:
http://games-reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review/review4.gif

gdf
March 17th, 2007, 14:43
i was thinking of getting this, cheers for the opinion!