PDA

View Full Version : Just got an Xbox (NOT a 360).

Napalm-Death
March 17th, 2007, 00:14
Hey, I just got an Xbox, a bit late..yes, I know. I have a few questions regarding the whole process.
What's the best dashboard to use?
Does the softmod process differ for each dashboard?
If I can't set up an FTP, can I load my emulators/homebrew on DVD-R's and run them when I want to?
And the last one (I think), how long would a softmod take? Thanks.

opiate81
March 17th, 2007, 01:34
Well the only Dashboard worth worrying about is XBMC
(XBOX Media Center)
there are alot of guides for soft modding here http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php?p=151|374|375|#151
if you are connecting your XBOX straight up to a PC (no router) you need a crossover cable (usually a red cable)
yes you can load emulators, homebrew, mp3 and any video file type imaginable on to a DVD-R
my strong suggestion would be to get a chip and a 200GB HDD ;) even if you just use it for mp3 and videos its more than worth it.
welcome to XBOX homebrew Im sure you'll love it :D
PM me if ya need anymore help

Edit: Also you'll need bit torrent or IRC to get the homebrew

BrooksyX
March 17th, 2007, 04:26
Yeah I would go with XBMC and softmod over a hardware mod.

Here is a good tutorial to install XBMC:
http://www.productwiki.com/microsoft_xbox/article/how_to_go_from_xbox_to_xbox_media_center_in_30_min utes.html

I would also get a 120 gb hard drive at least so you can put tons of Emulators, roms, games, and other files on your xbox.

Xbox is the greatest homebrew console so far, I am surprised it wasn't more popular in the homebrew world.

Good Luck!

mnuhaily22
March 17th, 2007, 05:37
lol, a little late there buddy...jk, congrats and like people said above, medai center is a nice mod...

Cap'n 1time
March 17th, 2007, 05:49
Hmm. I was always annoyed by having to wait 10 extra seconds for XBMC to load as a dashboard. Since I've been around the xbox scene since the very beginning, I still use EvoX. Sure, it aint pretty... but it does a damn good job.

opiate81
March 17th, 2007, 06:56
yeah those extra 10 seconds do suck and I would go evox or avalaunch if not for xbmc
I found avalaunch ftp's a bit quicker.. but xbmc with the mc360 skin is pretty unreal!
I got the X3 control panel and Xtender case with one HDD dedicated to Linux for a lounge PC and I can honestly say Im absolutely stoked with what I can do with a $600au investment
I can control it all with my psp which is an added bonus :)

BrooksyX
March 17th, 2007, 08:36
Hmm. I was always annoyed by having to wait 10 extra seconds for XBMC to load as a dashboard. Since I've been around the xbox scene since the very beginning, I still use EvoX. Sure, it aint pretty... but it does a damn good job.

I prefer UnleashX myself. I like to keep it simple.

Napalm-Death
March 17th, 2007, 12:18
Okay, thanks for everything guys, I'm going to go with XBMC, and pick up a hard drive later on. I still need to get an Action Replay. I'll wait the extra ten seconds for MC to load as long as it's worth it, I like having fancy layouts, lol.
One last question: This is really stupid, but I just want to make sure I don't mess up. The wire needed for the FTP is an ethernet cable, right?

Cap'n 1time
March 17th, 2007, 18:29
Okay, thanks for everything guys, I'm going to go with XBMC, and pick up a hard drive later on. I still need to get an Action Replay. I'll wait the extra ten seconds for MC to load as long as it's worth it, I like having fancy layouts, lol.
One last question: This is really stupid, but I just want to make sure I don't mess up. The wire needed for the FTP is an ethernet cable, right?

It can be done with a boring old ethernet cable, I'm pretty sure anyway. I'm sure there are instructions somewhere on xbox-scene.com. If you have a router or a hub it makes things a little easier.

BrooksyX
March 17th, 2007, 18:56
If you are using a router, hub, or switch you can use a standard ethernet cable but if you go straight from your xbox to your pc you will need to get a crossover cable. Don't worry though crossover cables are easy to find and are the same price as regular cables. They are just wired different on one end.

Napalm-Death
March 17th, 2007, 23:58
I see, thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate it, I can't wait to start modding!
EDIT: My mom just let me order a crossover cable, and my friend is lending me his Splinter Cell. Last thing to get is the Action Replay, I'm a bit excited.