PDA

View Full Version : Jack Thompson responds biblically to Take-Two

wraggster
March 18th, 2007, 21:55
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/18/jack-thompson-responds-biblically-to-take-two/)

Last weekend we reported that Jack Thompson plans to sue Take-Two over concerns about the release of Manhunt 2 and Grand Theft Auto IV. A few days ago Take-Two countered saying that Thompson was simply bringing another nuisance suit to the courts. Thus, the circle of Jack Thompson life continues. We could attempt to ignore Jack Thompson the same way the Associated Press attempted to ignore Paris Hilton, but then we couldn't tell you about Jack's latest email to the press (full text after the break).

Thompson begins by saying that he has been "praying" for Take-Two to sue him and that this "misstep would enable [him] to destroy Take-Two" and his "prayers are finally answered." He then goes on to quote scripture. He closes with, "Amen, and Praise be to God Almighty, maker of Heaven, Earth, and yes, the maker even video games." This is a whole new level for Jack Thompson. Get ready to experience Thompson v2.0.

Dear Gamers and Gamer Publications on the Internet and Elsewhere:

I have been praying, literally, that Take-Two and its lawyers would do something so stupid, so arrogant, so dumb, even dumber than what they have to date done, that such a misstep would enable me to destroy Take-Two. With the filing of this SLAPP lawsuit last week, my prayers are finally answered.

This lawsuit, filed in US District Court for the Southern District of Florida, is, without a doubt, the single dumbest thing I have ever seen any lawyers do in my thirty years of practicing law -- while in continuous good standing to do so with The Florida Bar, I might add, the shock radio and video game industry's efforts notwithstanding.

I encourage folks to read Psalm 35, a Psalm of David, which is brilliant in its entirety (since God Himself wrote it), but for those who don't own a Bible or who think their hands will catch on fire if they touch one, here is the salient portion that applies to this lawsuit:

7 For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit,
which without cause they have digged for my soul.

8 Let destruction come upon him at unawares;
and let his net that he hath hid catch himself:
into that very destruction let him fall.

9 And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD:
it shall rejoice in his salvation.

The pit Take-Two has dug for itself will be patently clear next week when I strike back. Oh, and by the way, the entire Take-Two management and board will be gone on March 23, so this pit-digging comes at a very bad time indeed.

Amen, and Praise be to God Almighty, maker of Heaven, Earth, and yes, the maker even video games.

Jack Thompson

Harshboy
March 18th, 2007, 22:01
I hate Jack Thompson so much. One of these days someone will kill him, I can se that happening in the near future

muffinman
March 18th, 2007, 22:03
he is a rather big dickhead isn't he?

anyways what could he possibly do to bring down take-two in under a week?

Cap'n 1time
March 18th, 2007, 22:09
What a tool.

blade47167
March 18th, 2007, 22:12
I hate Jack Thompson so much. One of these days someone will kill him, I can se that happening in the near future

I'm sure he prays for that to. Do you not realize the implications that would involve :S. If someone was to kill him his case would immediately become the equivalent of GOD Mode in Doom. That would be the stupidest shit for anyone who wants him to shut could do.

valtiel
March 18th, 2007, 22:15
lol
Shouldn't he be trying to stop real crime instead of attacking video games? hes filed may lawsuits and every one of them have come to nothing.
What an idiot.

wolfpack
March 18th, 2007, 22:23
i think jack thompson had too much "jesus juice"

andk1005
March 18th, 2007, 22:31
hi im a chrstian and if jack thomson you are out there seriously stop this stupid selfish mission you have that destroying the christian image we are not all ridiculously embeded into the bible wheras anything modern or new is evil.

i do not personally believe that video games are destroying society as a whole they are a means of virtual entertainment. even to the point where many of our church members have and do play many of the gta games as they are fun and they are entrtaining.

but thats all they are. non of us have ever gone out and had the urge to go on some mad crime spree with a chainsaw as we do in the game. the only people who have weak enough minds to start believing they are in the game or they use the game to practice killing people is ridiculous, and these pepole must have underlying mental instabilities to be doing such things.

also only a handful if not less than ten lawsuits that come to court over a murder or stabbing ect involve blame on a video game. get this ten out of 6 billion people on this planet and lets say 300 million of these people have access to a violent video game of some form. then that would make games acountable for 0.000000033% of people who own a violent video game and then go out and comit a crime of some sort.

for christs sake road rage or adultery cause more deaths per year than gaming supposedly does so please please jack thomson do something for the planet and the christian communtity that is worth making a cause for.

kaffie
March 18th, 2007, 23:01
for christs sake road rage or adultery cuase more deaths per year than gaming does

That actually makes it sound like gaming kills. :(

aries2k4
March 18th, 2007, 23:15
YA, Roadrage 3d was actually a pretty cool game;)
This Jack is quite a character:rolleyes:

DCRich
March 18th, 2007, 23:19
I am a firm believer in Christ and god.....and this pisses me off. This Jack Thompson character is tainting Christianity. To think that he is on some sort of crusade to stop "evil" video games is just ridiculous. God gave people the freedom to choose, and view what they please, so long as what they are doing is not offending someone else. I can play what games I want, and you don't even know it, so it does not affect you. If you don't like the games, then don't play, respect the ratings, and keep your kids away from them.

His stupid fight is a slap in the face to freedom. Religion cannot be forced onto to something. Any religious person should know this, it is a choice to believe.

And if this man wants to quote or paraphrase the word of god. how's this

Matthew 5:44

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you"

Luke 6:27

"But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,"

See, anyone can quote the bible. It's confused people like you that are distorting the word of god, making real Christians look bad. He has been praying to destroy Take-Two. Last I heard, it was a sin to wish bad things upon others. Bloody hypocrite.

Veskgar
March 18th, 2007, 23:25
I knew this guy had some issues but this really takes the cake. This sounds a little like religious extremism. What the hell happened to separation of church and state? This sort of religious rhetoric doesn't belong in politics. Not in the US at least and not aimed at video games of all things.

I don't wish violence against this douchebag, that is what he wants. If he is attacked physically or worse, I would not give a hoot but he and people like him will say, "I told you so" and his misconceptions about video games breeding violent people will be realized.

Unless this guy is some sort of master strategist and there is some sort of secret method to his mayhem, I think he is digging his own grave.

mike_jmg
March 18th, 2007, 23:26
Jack Thompson, kiss my ass!!!!

Get a life or something that keeps you busy

freitax
March 19th, 2007, 00:29
Jack Thompson:
I must kill take-two, that is the mission...BRhhhrh Error error, too much thinking too much thinking

iniquitous_beast
March 19th, 2007, 00:42
Sorry Jack, God didn't create video games or the book of Psalms. But pay that no heed; for surely he favors your Holy War against Take-Two and shall be quite please when you smite them in his name. Just keep doing what you are doing, Jack. Anything else just might embarrass God...

darkspectorXP
March 19th, 2007, 01:41
Kill him, he isn't even worth a life sentence without parole. I can't wait until the rumored Dateline NBC episode on what parents think about what he is doing airs this August.
Ben

samthegreat68
March 19th, 2007, 02:25
lame! what a prick. before GTA kids used to just go outside and make believe that they were shooting people and hi-jacking cars, now that our imaginations are on the TV dosnt make a difference.

Sk8.4.Life
March 19th, 2007, 02:55
This guy sounds like the village idiot that everyone mocks behind his back, but wont actually say it to his face... Someone needs to just step up and tell him he's a complete retard and to drop law and go be a late night radio ranter about todays issues, especially video games... lawl

Shilo
March 19th, 2007, 02:57
This lawsuit, filed in US District Court for the Southern District of Florida, is, without a doubt, the single dumbest thing I have ever seen any lawyers do in my thirty years of practicing law

Obviously he doesn't pay attention to his own work :rolleyes:

BlackShark
March 19th, 2007, 08:11
Dear Gamers and Gamer Publications on the Internet and Elsewhere:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

but for those who don't own a Bible or who think their hands will catch on fire if they touch one,
Jack Thompson

I find this quite offencive, addressing gamers and then assuming we are all Godless and dont have bibles etc, well for your information I am catholic. infact I had Confermation classes today, and yet I've been playing doom since The age of 2.

What a Dick head, to stereotype gamers as atheist.

Cap'n 1time
March 19th, 2007, 08:26
What a Dick head, to stereotype gamers as atheist.

You know, It's guys like him who make us stereotype southern Christians like him as intolerant, uneducated morons.

Just because this guy is a lawyer says nothing about his common sense. What a tool.

GobboFett
March 19th, 2007, 08:36
It is extremely hilarious that one person can be so blind-sighted by their own ambition to not even see what is going on around them. Jack is trying to win a battle that he cannot win, "Destroy Take-Two" as he so blatantly put it? When will Jack realise that the world does not want one voice/opinion trying to shut down facets of life to make it more "Politically Correct" (or PC). Jack Thompson is a Martyr and there is nothing honorable about being one. His last ditch at getting others to follow his cause by mentioning God/The Bible just makes you sick (and I'm not even Christian :p) Even IF he mentions god and what is written in the bible, he's still going to burn in hell. I mean, since when were there lawyers in heaven? :p

Uchiha Sasuke
March 19th, 2007, 09:33
Thompson overuses the word "dumb" in his writing. Moreover the word "dumb" is not a very professional word and considering a good lawyer should be professional this fact starts to expose what Thompson is - a phony and a shit lawyer. Add on top the failed lawsuits he has been involved with, the topics and content of these lawsuits, everybody's view and opinion of him and countless other things that just segregate him further and further from being regarded as a normal person and Thompson is humiliating himself even more.

He will no doubt lose this latest palaver and be rightly scorned worldover by gamers and probably by his fellow lawyers. In fact I often wonder whether he really cares for the cases he throws himself into. I think he just does it for the publicity and to gain a reputation.

His attempt at injecting the religious content into his letter will have two effects, both of which have already been achieved on this thread alone -
1) Religious people will condemn him for trying to fuse their religion with his pathetic crusade and therefore will hate him further.
2) Non-religious people like myself will not give a shit about - "9 And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD:
it shall rejoice in his salvation".. In fact I didn't even read half of the religious stuff Thompson wrote in his letter.

Overall Thompson needs to get a life because he regarded as a very sad man. Rockstar has pissed all over him in the past and Take-Two will piss all over him here. I guess his next case would have to involve IO-Interactive and Eidos because a bald clone going by the name of Agent 47 could be appearing in the sunset ready to plug Mr Thompson full of silenced Dual-Baller bullets. If that cannot be a reality then please incorporate a similar mission into the next Hitman game please!

benn
March 19th, 2007, 09:37
lmao. its official..... by his own words.... jack thompson has officially declared himself a D1CKHEAD!!! lolol
what an idiot.
he clearly has WAY too much time on his hands.

Ichijoe
March 19th, 2007, 09:51
I encourage folks to read Psalm 35, a Psalm of David, which is brilliant in its entirety (since God Himself wrote it), but for those who don't own a Bible or who think their hands will catch on fire if they touch one, here is the salient portion that applies to this lawsuit:

So God was some 37 Year old MAN living in (Ca. 325 A.D.), Constantinople and took part at the "Council of Nicaea" to help in this invention called "Christianity" ~Right~?!?!
God alway was and ALWAYS WILL remain a figment of the Human Imagination!!

PROTIP: THERE IS NO GOD!!

What a Fscking moron this Guy is, does he actually think anybody ~save Billy-Ray and Mary-lu-Who, down in some Hell Hole in Arkansas~, really give a F*ck about what ~he~ thinks?!

It's Arseholes like this Jerk that have made me proud to be an Atheist!!!

Sorry there Tommy, there is no "Tooth Fairies", and "Santa Clause" dosen't exist either.
You are a Grown Man (well to look at you), don't you think it's time to let your "Invisible Friends" go yet?!

P.s. Put a Doalla in teh Box!! (on your way out!)

Dickhead
March 19th, 2007, 10:27
Well Iam a Born again Christian. This really does give us all a bad name and I am appauled that Jack Thompson would quote scripture to try to make a point about video game censorship.Christians all have different doctines/options on this. Also computer games was not around/invented when the bible was written. In the end its only God whos going to judge peoples actions and not men. I am looking forward to the next GTA game and I am going to buy it!

geise69
March 19th, 2007, 11:52
As much as I hate Jack Thompson and wished he would vanish from the face of the planet I hope this isn't going to be in the Florida courts. He's actually pretty respected and has a lot of people backing him down in Florida, which is one reason he is glad that Take-Two is doing this. There are a lot of (sorry to say) crazy bible goers down in Florida that certainly would back him, and a lot of the Bible goers are pretty big politically in Florida. I just hope this goes well for Take-Two and it doesn't come and smack them in the face. This crap is getting way out of hand.

HomerSp
March 19th, 2007, 13:30
Wth. Thompson, you can go and die for all I care. You have nothing to do with Take Two's games and if you think you're going to bring them down you're wrong. The company has alot of supporters who are willing to do something about this.
(Not that I think he's going to read this)

bullhead
March 19th, 2007, 17:09
You know what his problem is? I do. He doesn't have enough sex in his life. If he had sex he wouldn't have this problem. I think that because he is an unattractive person(see pic.) he has given up on all hope of ever getting laid, so rather than comit suicide, he has decided to become a religious extremist, and is trying to suck a little happiness out of the world.

wiredforpower
March 19th, 2007, 22:14
There are too many statistics against the theory that video games "create violent behavior" when in fact, teenage violence went down after the releases of each GTA Game. Other studies taken show that video games can create violence thoughts but there's no transition to action involved.

Buddy4point0
March 20th, 2007, 01:00
yea dude people who get mad and play video games probly lose anger through go kill somebody virtually instead of in real life.