PDA

View Full Version : How Far Can the Nintendo DS be Pushed to Emulate?

wraggster
May 3rd, 2005, 18:46
The Nintendo DS aka the GBA`s bigger brother is a great console in its own right but with the right programming talent how far can we see emulation on the Nintendo DS, Will we see a full speed Snes Emulator or maybe a Full Speed Genesis emulator, the Nintendo DS is getting a lot of ports from old Nintendo 64 games but do you think that the DS could emulate the N64?

josemci
May 3rd, 2005, 20:04
OFF TOPIC

Wragss, aren't Judas Priest from Nottingam? Or maybe Birmingham? I've seen them two weeks ago at Zaragoza, Spain, and they're still one of the greatest bands, aren't them?

wraggster
May 3rd, 2005, 20:16
i have no idea :P

AlexB123
May 3rd, 2005, 20:31
No N64 emulation for the DS, or if there will be it will be rather slow. (Unplayable speeds.)

- All the 8 bit emu's at full speed.
- All the 16 bit emu's at playable speed (80%+) Probably full speed.

ptr.exe
May 3rd, 2005, 20:45
Im confident that we could see SNES emulation at about 75% unless theres custom chips then it might be down to 55-60%

I cant wait till a SNES emu is released for DS.

Cap'n 1time
May 9th, 2005, 15:31
it was rather kind of them to make it backwards compatible. Perhapes soon they will do whatever to allow ds apps to boot on gba flash cards with only the use of software. the good people of snesadvance are already looking into it, and they seem seriouse about using ds hardware to boost their emulator.

edit:
http://ds.gcdev.com/dsfirmware/
currently this is a good software alternative to a pass me... but it still requires a passme card or booting through wireless and its suposed to be dangerouse. I might try it later. Still its just not cool, eventually flubba a loopy of snesadv hope to be able to bypass without the use of any hardware hacks or modification.

shade
May 9th, 2005, 23:05
Bet ya ten bucks a NES emulater will be first.

Cap'n 1time
May 13th, 2005, 05:31
Bet ya ten bucks a NES emulater will be first.

Why... would you say that...?

As i said before, i think its more likely that they will simply take the pre-existing GBA emulators and use the hardware from the DS to boost the performance... but thats what I have understood. Frankly i dont know what the hell im talking about.

I imagine some one will now tell me how differant the GBA and DS harware is and why you cant depend upon certain peices of hardware from one side the the machine to help support software that is used by another part of the machine.