PDA

View Full Version : psp text input via j2me mobile phone ir

superpomme
March 20th, 2007, 01:35
something that i just want to bump from a while back as it got some interest but was buried away in a thread for soemthing else, but seems completely feasable -

"
Something i see having great potential is if someone codes a little j2me applet that can run on a mobile and transmit text over to the psp via the infra red port. I dont see it being too hard (for someone who knows what they are doing - count me out) to code something inwhich you could write in a sentence, hold it there and press send, then on to the next sentence. Theres a lot of people with ir ports on their mobiles, and the input isnt phone dependant.
Would this work, and does anyone know j2me programming?
"

seeing all of teh work that has been done on getting ir keyboards to work with the psp despite their cost, and seeing that a vast ammount of phones have ir capability (and some homebrew i saw a while back let you tranfer files between the psp and a phone) it just seems really within reach to someone who has some knowledge of this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to knock something up :)

Kichigai Mentat
March 21st, 2007, 01:31
I'm not quite sure of the viability of this. First, few phones today actually have IR ports. Most have abandon them for BlueTooth and USB. And part of the problem would be just getting the J2ME midlet onto the phone. Some phones allow JAD/JARs to be installed via BlueTooth/USB, notably Motorola, but some do not, like LGs. Then you have the problem of locked firmware, and I don't mean on the PSP. Verizon and Virgin Mobile put locked down, custom firmware on all of their phones, which cripples the BlueTooth from being able to do anything besides sync with a PC, attach a headset, and receive (but not send) contact information. It's likely that they did the same thing with their IR systems too. I know, however, that Cingular and T-Mobile do not cripple their phones, don't know about any other providers.