PDA

View Full Version : Review: Penguin United Remote Charging Dock + Rechargeable Battery

bandit
March 23rd, 2007, 13:11
Penguin United Remote Charging Dock + Rechargeable Battery
Manufacturer: Penguin United
Site: Buy from Penguin United (http://penguinunited.com/proddetail.php?prod=PU011) (dock + battery) / Buy from Penguin United (http://penguinunited.com/proddetail.php?prod=PU013) (dock + 2x battery) / Buy from Penguin United (http://penguinunited.com/proddetail.php?prod=PU014) (battery only) / Buy from Penguin United (http://penguinunited.com/proddetail.php?prod=PU015) (2x docks + 4x batteries)
Price: $19.99 (dock + battery) / $24.99 (dock + 2x battery) / $7.99 (battery only) / $44.99 (2x docks + 4x batteries)

Overview : The included rechargable battery will provide you with 38 hours of game playing time and tons of $$ saved on batteries. To recharge your Wii Remote, simply place your Wii Remote on the charging dock. Your Wii remote will be charged from USB cable using modified battery cover provided.

Includes : (dock + battery)

Wii Remote Chargin Dock
USB Connection Cable
Rechargeable battery pack lasting 38 hours
Recharge enabled battery cover

Includes : (dock + 2x battery)

1X Wii Remote Charging Dock
1X USB Connection Cable
2X Rechargeable battery pack lasting 38 hours
2X Recharge enabled battery cover

Includes : (battery only)

Rechargeable battery pack lasting 38 hours
Recharge enabled battery cover
Requires dock

Includes : (2x docks + 4x batteries)

2X Wii Remote Charging Dock
2X USB Connection Cable
4X Rechargeable battery pack lasting 38 hours
4X Recharge enabled battery cover

Quality/Usability : Ever since the release of the Nintendo Wii whether it be in Asia, Europe or North America, 3rd party manufacturers have been releasing rechargeable battery packs. Why? Because everyone wanted rechargeable battery packs to save money rather then spend it on regular alkaline batteries. The Wii Remote would eat through batteries like no tomorrow and would need to be replaced as if it was a handheld system.

With the need of rechargeable battery packs, Penguin United has jumped in to help fellow gamers. Penguin United released their Remote Charging Dock and Rechargeable Battery. PU originally offered only the dock and battery but due to demand, they are offering different bundles. You can pick up either a dock and battery, dock and two batteries, batteries only or two docks and 4 batteries, at relatively cheap prices!

Upon opening up the box (dock + battery), you'll find a USB cable, dock, rechargeable battery, battery cover and instructions. Setting up the dock is easy. Just plug one end of the USB cable into either your computer or the Wii and the other end into the dock. Thats it.

Putting the battery into the remote isnt as easy. It takes a bit of trial and error but once you know what to do, it shouldnt be a problem. To insert the battery into the remote you would need to hold the remote right-side up and hold the battery with the (+) and (-) sign facing the bottom. While holding the battery at an angle, place the (+) and (-) into position and then push down. At the same time, push the top of the battery into place. The battery should now be inserted into the remote.

In order to charge the batteries, you must use the included battery cover as it has a custom connection that will work with the dock. The battery cover though is a bit darker then the Wii remote itself. But if you have a glove or case on the Wii remote, you wont notice it. Speaking of glove, you will either have to remove the glove or lift it up enough so that the remote can fit into the dock. When the remote is placed into the dock, there is a blue LED. A steady blue means it is charging and if the LED is blinking, it means it is done charging.

In the instructions that were included, they suggested that the battery require 12 hours of charging before use. The battery were done charging within 2 hours or so and the dock started to blink.

Once the battery was fully charged, I took it for a test (7 straight days of playing). After the first couple hours of WarioWare, Wii Sports and Zelda, the Wii remote still showed 3 battery bars. Played a couple more hours the next couple of days and it still showed 3 bars. Probably by the 4th or 5th day, the battery dropped a bar. By the 7th day, it was still at 2 bars. Had I played longer, it would of probably lasted me almost 2 weeks on one full charge! Thats insane.

Conclusion : Overall, the Penguin United Remote Charging Dock + Rechargeable Battery exceeds my expectations. The battery life is long lasting. Only minor complaints is the non-matching color of their battery cover to the Wii remote and the dock not stop charging if it is fully charged. If you're looking for a rechargeable battery pack, I suggest checking out PU's Remote Charging Dock + Rechargeable Battery. Interested International buyers can purchase this through their eBay store (http://stores.ebay.com/PenguinUnited-DotCom-Gaming). PU will be releasing a dual charger sometime in April. But it would be nice to see a charger only for the battery rather then a dock.

Images via comments

Friko
July 23rd, 2007, 10:09
Hello,
is it possible for you to provide more details regarding the battery provided?
Details such as capacity and battery type would be useful as there are many different types being sold on eBay at the moment.

bandit
July 23rd, 2007, 13:45
Hello,
is it possible for you to provide more details regarding the battery provided?
Details such as capacity and battery type would be useful as there are many different types being sold on eBay at the moment.
Details regarding the battery itself was not provided but like all other rechargeable battery packs on the market, its probably a 1800mAh and NiMH. If you plan on buying this brand, might as well buy it directly from their website.

Friko
July 23rd, 2007, 14:07
Details regarding the battery itself was not provided but like all other rechargeable battery packs on the market, its probably a 1800mAh and NiMH. If you plan on buying this brand, might as well buy it directly from their website.

Thanks. I did indeed buy one, which I received today.

When I placed the order (about a week ago), their website stated that they were providing a 450mAh Li-ion battery with the single charger (the one in your review) and that they were providing 1800mAh batteries with the dual charger.

Thinking that Li-ion was the one to go for (based from your review and the description that was on their website) I went for it. But I received a 1200mAh NiMHbattery with my single charger, which is why I'm asking what kind of battery you reviewed.

bandit
July 23rd, 2007, 16:12
Thanks. I did indeed buy one, which I received today.

When I placed the order (about a week ago), their website stated that they were providing a 450mAh Li-ion battery with the single charger (the one in your review) and that they were providing 1800mAh batteries with the dual charger.

Thinking that Li-ion was the one to go for (based from your review and the description that was on their website) I went for it. But I received a 1200mAh NiMHbattery with my single charger, which is why I'm asking what kind of battery you reviewed.
Whatever battery they are selling, is the same battery I have reviewed. Whatever information is provided to me whether through email or on the package/instructions is the only information I can go by.

A 450mAh? I dont know if thats true. The battery wouldnt even last too long. Majority, if not all rechargeable batteries are like 1800mAh or higher.