PDA

View Full Version : SD Gecko VS SD Media Launcher

160R
March 25th, 2007, 01:17
EDIT: This comparison is now pretty pointless, read the text bold in red at the end of this post!

Don't know which one should buy? Read this:

Sure there are lots of modchips for GameCube/Wii, but homebrew software (BIOSes to run backups, emulators, homebrew games, mp3 players,...) can be played in a more easy way without the need to be burned in some media. I'm talking about run homebrew stuff through SD cards. You don't need to open your home system, so you do not loose the warranty and risk your pretty system. You don't need to spend time and money in burning a new disc each time you want to change the content, the version of some program, add a new mp3,... you simply move them to a SD card, and play it through SD Gecko or SD Media Launcher method. I see there is some confusion about them, so I compare both SD methods here.

SD Gecko adapter

Stuff needed:

SD Gecko + Action Replay (any new AR works now)
or SD Gecko + modchip (to launch a SDLoad self booting disc or an Action Replay backup)

Homebrew compatibility:

100% compatibility. Sdload is the old pioneer menu system that allows to run homebrew software from SD cards with the help of an Action Replay disc. The GameCube homebrew stuff have been made and tested to work through sdload, since it was the traditional way for SD cards.

Price:

SD Gecko adapter can be found new in ebay for about 15USD shipping included
Action Replay can be found in some online shops for around 25USD
Total price is about 40$

Other comments:

With Action Replay you don't only get a disc to launch sdload. Action Replay is a product that lets you run lots of unofficial cheats for most GameCube games (cheats that will unlock secrets, hidden characters, will help you to success in the game, funny cheats,...). Futhermore Action Replay includes Freeloader that allows to play games from other regions.

Pros:

+You get more for less $ (SD method + best cheat system + freeloader)
+100% homebrew compatibility

Cons:

-More complex (you need to follow this tutorial (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42901) to get it working)

SD Media Launcher

Stuff needed:

Disc and SD adapter all included in the same SD Media Launcher package

Homebrew compatibility:

Lower compatibility. Datel fastly did a sdload clone after Wii launch, but it misses some stuff and not all the homebrew software works on it since the homebrew software was made to work on sdload firstly.

Price:

SD Media Launcher is 50$ shipping not included

Other comments:

With this package you don't need to buy anything more. You get all the needed stuff to get it working, so it is more simple than SD Gecko + Action Replay. Furthermore, to get sdload running in Action Replay, you need to enter a long code. With SD Media Launcher you get all ready to work.

Other thing homebrew scene lovers should care is the fact that Datel removed in newest version of Action Replay the 'add code' feature (the feature that allowed to play to some amazing new codes such as play with Sandbag or Crazy Hand in SSBM) so people with newest version can't load sdload and needs to buy the SD Media Launcher instead of an additional SD Gecko. To sum up, Datel made a worst version of their Action Replay simply as an attempt to make still more $$$ from the homebrew scene.

Pros:

+More easy (all in the same package ready to work)

Cons:

-You get less for more $ (only sd method)
-Lower homebrew compatibility
-You give more money to a company that only cares about money, not customers

Well, that's all. Hope you enjoyed this comparison, and don't forget to ask if you have some question!

Source:
http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4246

EDIT:

Now SD Media Launcher is being bricked by Nintendo's last firmware. So the way to do it is getting a SD Gecko and running sdload through Action Replay. If you own a modchip, you can launch a sdload autoboot disc instead or even an Action Replay backup. You can find SD Gecko with worldwide shipping and best price at Adictron store (http://www.adictron.com)

Sorry, no way for SD Media Launcher users, so get a SD Gecko instead.

superpotatoman
April 4th, 2007, 15:19
Yeah, Datel sucks!

Category
April 21st, 2007, 22:09
They don't suck completely - they are just pussies, scared of making piracy possible with their products. Which ends up with them being harshly restricted...

Have you seen Datel's DS homebrew offerings? DON'T EVEN BOTHER.

TeenDev
April 21st, 2007, 22:50
I'd go with the more compatible homebrew one.

Nicko01
April 29th, 2007, 13:45
definately.

PeterM
April 29th, 2007, 14:42
As a coder, I went for the least compatible one. That way, SDML users will be able to run what I release in the future.

160R
May 3rd, 2007, 14:16
As a coder, I went for the least compatible one. That way, SDML users will be able to run what I release in the future.

Well, that's the stuff you release in a future VS all the stuff already released with sdload and that will be released in a future (all homebrew programs, emulators, mp3 players,...) :p

Anyways, there is already a patch or something somewhere to fix SML compatibility so can use sdload and have the same great compatibility than SD Gecko. :)

eH9116
May 9th, 2007, 15:46
It seems to me that the SD Gecko is a better way to go. I've been looking into buying one and it is very difficult to find one, especially at a decent price nowadays (either low supply or low demand, I'm not sure which). I looked into it further and discovered that I could probably sell them for about $15 shipped. This is at least $5 cheaper than the cheapest ebay ones right now and $10 cheaper than other websites w/ shipping. Yes, I would be making some money but it would also hopefully help out the homebrew community (players and developers). Are people still interested enough in this to warrant me buying a large quantity? What do you guys think?

PeterM
May 9th, 2007, 19:40
Agreed. For non-programmers I'd say SD Gecko & AR is definitely the way to go.

There are a few Geckos on Euro eBay sites, not sure about others.

160R
May 10th, 2007, 13:20
For non programmers and also for programmers ;)

There are SD Gecko in almost all ebay pages (ebay.com, ebay.com.au, ebay.fr, ebay.es,...)

The cost of selling them on ebay is:

Price of product + price of international shipping (postal service fees, envelope, handling) + ebay fees (post and selling fees) + paypal fees + government fees + other indirect costs (storing, defective or lost packages, currency conversions,...)

It is about 5$ lower price than other webpages. 20$ shipping included maybe isn't that high margin of benefits...

eH9116
May 10th, 2007, 14:24
Well, when you put it that way...... That may add up quite quickly. I forgot about the combo ebay and paypal fees. I'm not sure about an ebay store, if that is any different, but when you include defective parts, even envelopes, etc... $15 may not provide nearly enough margin to make it worth it. I'll have to reconsider this. Maybe they are worth $20 a pop.

miyawii
May 15th, 2007, 17:22

There is a coders competition for GameCube / Wii. They want the files to be working through sdload, which is the default 'OS' for SD Gecko. If you are going to enter the competition, be sure your stuff will also be sdload compatible.

ICE
May 15th, 2007, 18:38
commercial homebrew devices will always suck because if they were good they'd probably support piracy and would then be shut down.

this is the best they can do legally.

PeterM
May 15th, 2007, 22:35
There is a coders competition for GameCube / Wii. They want the files to be working through sdload, which is the default 'OS' for SD Gecko. If you are going to enter the competition, be sure your stuff will also be sdload compatible.

Indeed. Thankfully SDLoad can also be launched via SDML.

I have a SD Gecko too, but I've not found an "old" version of Action Replay yet. Still looking...

miyawii
May 16th, 2007, 11:16
commercial homebrew devices will always suck because if they were good they'd probably support piracy and would then be shut down.

this is the best they can do legally.

Erm... Both SDML and SD Gecko are still being used to run backups in GameCube.
And they do a much better job running homebrew software than modchips.

Modchips need homebrew software (emulators, mp3 music, homebrew games,...) to be burned in a DVD.
How long did a GameCube laser last running your burned media?? Wii modchips were launched few months ago, so people still don't experience problems with their lasers. Do you think they will last much more than the GC ones?

And they can also do some great things no modchips can do:

What about storing the game saves for the thousands of retro games you can play through GameCube/Wii? If you are using a modchip, how many GC memory cards do you need?
The biggest memory card avaible for GC/Wii is 128mb (16MB). I have SD cards of 2GB and they work perfectly at least with SD Gecko adapter.
I would need 128 memory cards of 128mb to get the same storing space for the saves of my emulated games. Isn't it a really worth thing?

Or what about making your Wii backups saving them into SD cards? Don't you think it is much cheaper than buying a LG drive?

Anyways I appreciate your opinion. The topic shouldn't be only a comparison between different SD methods (I'm the author of the original VS thread), but also a comparison between the different ways to run homebrew stuff in GameCube/Wii. :)

jbbdude
May 20th, 2007, 21:48
SD Gecko for $16.94 USD shipped at http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=952680 minus a $ discount if you use Google Checkout and have never used it before. Gamestop has the old GC AR for $20 USD, as does Gamestop program at Barnesandnoble.com

miyawii
May 21st, 2007, 10:39
Gamestop has the old GC AR for $20 USD, as does Gamestop program at Barnesandnoble.com

Nice to hear that the good version of Action Replay is in stock somewhere :thumbup:

160R
May 21st, 2007, 16:21
Nice to hear that the good version of Action Replay is in stock somewhere :thumbup:

Yes, some people couldn't find it. However it was in stock in GameStop...

The link is exactly this one:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801614

EDIT:

In some shops they show the photo of one version but sells other one. They think it isn't an important detail. They even think will be a better surprise if buyer receives the new version instead. But is not the case. The crappy new Action Replay don't feature the 'add code' function that allowed to play sdload with SD Gecko, or to play custom cheats, or even to update the cheat list with new cheats whatever they are custom or Datel official ones. I mean, that new version not only can't launch sdload but also is a not updateable version.

Are you guys sure it isn't the new version? Maybe GameStop simply didn't update the photo... Someone who bought it can confirm it is one of the SD Gecko compatible versions (any version unless the new one)??

Thx

Baboon
May 21st, 2007, 17:32
I've gone for the sd media launcher. :)

What I thought was funny is that the official website for the product quotes dcemu:

GameCube/Wii SD Media Launcher is already going down a storm on the internet.For example, on the forums at leading home brew site DCemu, a poster called sonikku88 says, "It sounds awesome!I mean, not only is it supposed to run homebrew on aGamecube/Wii (in GC mode) but you get a 1GB SD card, GC SD card adapter and boot disc all for £30!" He obviously knows a bargain when he sees one!

http://us.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&p=23%20&i=9064&s=8

160R
May 21st, 2007, 18:18
However AR+SD Gecko is cheaper, 100% compatible and more complete (freeloader and best cheat system avaiable for GameCube included)

PeterM
May 21st, 2007, 19:04
The old AR is a pain to get in the UK. Second best is launching SDLOAD from within SDML.

160R
May 21st, 2007, 23:59
The old AR is a pain to get in the UK. Second best is launching SDLOAD from within SDML.

It is not so hard to find it. Simply try google with GameCube Action Replay or Action Replay GameCube

PS

I love your avatar :)

godsakes
November 3rd, 2007, 13:05
I've got myself a Gecko card (and a chipped pal wii) - I'm trying to run some emulators from the SD card.

As i understand it i need a autoboot DVD with SDload on it (i don't have an action replay card). Can anyone advise me how to make it or point me to t download link?

160R
November 7th, 2007, 22:30
There is already a disc with sdload floating around ;)

Other way to do it is to get an Action Replay backup at http://gctracker.mine.nu But you need to own the original AR or it won't be legal ;)

Or you can built an autoboot disc:
http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216&highlight=autoboot

And you can download sdload from http://www.gcdev.com/download/sdload.zip

Hope this helps :)

ChurchiJo
December 21st, 2007, 11:30
Datel have an updated SD launch disk now, compatible with the latest Wii firmware.

Yami Mario
January 8th, 2008, 18:13
Datel have an updated SD launch disk now, compatible with the latest Wii firmware.

And thats awsome. Update first post.

Wiihomebrewnoob
January 14th, 2008, 00:13
Hello everyone, sry i'm a noob here and to the Wii system but i was hoping i could get some help with my question. Will the SDmedia launcher set found in the below link work for the current firmware of the Wii system? (1/13/08) And if so, if the fireware is updated again can i just not download it to continue using my homebrew applications?

http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/zz-wii-sdml1g

Any and all input would be great, and i'm sorry if i might be repeating old questions i just wanted to make sure that the answers were still current.

Thanks

VampDude
January 23rd, 2008, 00:57
Agreed. For non-programmers I'd say SD Gecko & AR is definitely the way to go.

There are a few Geckos on Euro eBay sites, not sure about others.

My Wii has restricted my AR from loading (no homebrew for me), but that's known due to Nintendo's firmware update before the last one.

160R
February 6th, 2008, 12:06
My Wii has restricted my AR from loading (no homebrew for me), but that's known due to Nintendo's firmware update before the last one.

Did you contacted with Datel?? They replace old Action Replay by new one compatible with Nintendo firmware updates and with 'add code' feature. So working with SD Gecko both in GameCube and Wii :D

So no more pain to find a compatible Action Replay! :thumbup:

laser1982
February 19th, 2008, 20:45
hey just to clarify - are both the SD media launcher and the action replay from codejunkies now updated to work with the current firmware? Looking on the codejunkies uk site is seems very unclear as to whether this is the case

esteem
February 22nd, 2008, 22:57
Yeah, just noticed that myself. I remember a news post a while back that was saying this is in the works, but now It appears to be available at least at the US store. Anyone try this yet? For 20$ It might be worth a shot.

Apple Juice
March 13th, 2008, 13:48
Did you contacted with Datel?? They replace old Action Replay by new one compatible with Nintendo firmware updates and with 'add code' feature. So working with SD Gecko both in GameCube and Wii :D

So no more pain to find a compatible Action Replay! :thumbup:

I just got an email from Datel, and here is what they told me:

"Unfortunately, the current version of the GC AR does not have the add code feature, as it has been discontinued for some time. We apologize for any inconvenience."

So I just wasted $40.

PeterM
March 13th, 2008, 14:12
The new version of Action Replay (available from [email protected] on request if you bought AR previously) works with Wii and has SD Media Launcher built in.

ChurchiJo
June 6th, 2008, 08:48
FYI All, the SD Media launcher replacement disk I got from CodeJunkies still works, (I have got the mario kart wii firmware update, on the system, one of Nintendo's latest updates), Hope this is useful info for you.

superpotatoman
July 13th, 2008, 08:56
Yeah, but Action Replay + SD Gecko yet have better price and are more complete.

Now genuine SD Gecko (not the fake clones being sold by wiikey clone team) can be purchased at Adictron (http://www.adictron.com) for only 5 euro and they offer worldwide shipping :)

Furthemore they also sell USB Gecko which seems even more pro cheat system that Action Replay

KumoriRyuX
September 2nd, 2010, 04:13
does sd gecko work with the new ar that doesn't allow adding codes? or is there another way of using it?