PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal

ricki_b
March 27th, 2007, 22:49
Ok so Im back on the scene after yonks and wondering whats the custom firmware all about, this OE-A and B and all that. Im running 1.5 with DevHook and have been for some time. Why should I use this? Can someone give me a quick description and update as to what this is all about.

(Yes ive searched and looked around, I just need a low down, but I think Ive been away too long :rolleyes: )

Alpha_Slayer
March 27th, 2007, 22:59
Dark_AleX's custom firmwares (2.71 SE, 3.03 OE, etc.) all have the homebrew support of 1.50, but also the UMD compatibility of 2.71/3.03/3.10 (depending on which you install). They can also load PSP ISOs from the XMB, and they can run PSX games that have been converted with PopStation, without a PS3.

Shrygue
March 27th, 2007, 23:01
PSP ISO talk is not allowed on the forum as it's against the rules.

By the way, the custom firmwares have a recovery menu to help recover from semi-bricks if a flash operation goes wrong.

ricki_b
March 27th, 2007, 23:04
Ah I see so worth going to then.
One more thing whats the OE-A OE-B thing? Just newer versions? Strange convention aii.

Edit : Thats hardly ISO talk, hes describing the funtionality.

SSaxdude
March 27th, 2007, 23:06
PSP ISO talk is not allowed on the forum as it's against the rules.
Instead of stating the obvious, why not contribute to the thread?

Why you should go to 3.10 OE-A (3.03 OE-C is only better for customization):
It can play Playstation games, it can play all the newest PSP games, all homebrew can be run from the XMB, recovery mode to save you from possible bricking, plugin support, no emulation like in Dev Hook, and it has ALL the features included in 3.10.

One more thing whats the OE-A OE-B thing? Just newer versions?

Yes, the higher the letter in the alphabet (example OE-B) the newer the version. So in this case, 3.03 OE-B is newer than 3.03 OE-A, but 3.03 OE-C is newer than both of those.

ricki_b
March 27th, 2007, 23:13
Thanks you lot, I feel in the know again now, ill give 3.10 OE-A a go.

God its all change since the days when my 2.01 was useless....

Edit : The install files are tiny? That right? I mean not including the 1.50 and the 3.10 boots

Axelius
March 28th, 2007, 14:57
I remember using an easy installer from 1.50-->3.10OE. It was made by someone named csfreakno1 or so. The file size is about 17mb (including the 1.50 and 3.10 eboots)... It worked very well on my psp

Kichigai Mentat
March 30th, 2007, 06:01
BTW: "OE" stands for "Open Edition," reflecting how the firmware is more, well, open than Sony's, and has the ability to use plug-ins (such as a USBFS plug-in, or a screen shot plug-in). Before this was CE (such as 2.71 CE-A) which stood for Custom Edition.

Also beware for names like OE-A' or OE-A2. These stand for sub-revisions, usually small bug-fixes. A' and A2 are pretty much the same.

ICE
March 30th, 2007, 06:14
3.03 OE-C is what i use because its the latest version that still allows customizing you xmb.

jak66
March 30th, 2007, 06:50
Before this was CE (such as 2.71 CE-A) which stood for Custom Edition.

Almost

Before this was SE (such as 2.71 SE-A) which stood for Special Edition.

ricki_b
March 30th, 2007, 12:51
OK, im doing good. Got it all going well.

One more thing though, PSX emulation. Ive got 3.10 OE-A. What else do I need? Plugins? If so where do I get these from? Ive worked out how to convert the games to an eboot, change the images etc and copy over.

Edit : Never mind got a different game working now must have been a bad one.

flandersman
March 30th, 2007, 16:50
is there any way to go from 3.10 OE back to 1.50? because my psp has this weird thing where most 1.50 homebrew can't be run from the XMB, instead, i have to boot up 2.71 devhook, boot the tiff exploit eloader and run it from there. and also, do you have to format the psp when you go from 1.50 to 3.10 OE, or if you return from 3.10 OE to 1.50

ricki_b
March 30th, 2007, 20:03
You can use the recovery pack I think, its stickied. Are you putting it in the GAME150 folder though?

Oh and does anyone know how to run 333mhz with the custom firmware?

krazykarl
March 30th, 2007, 21:54
Oh and does anyone know how to run 333mhz with the custom firmware?

several programs/plugins allow you to change the clockspeed ie irshell, irsmp3 plugin, scep plugin, and many others

ricki_b
March 30th, 2007, 23:48
Anything specifically for doing it? Like quick and easy.

Tesseract
March 31st, 2007, 05:29
is there any way to go from 3.10 OE back to 1.50? because my psp has this weird thing where most 1.50 homebrew can't be run from the XMB...

Make sure that you're doing one of two things:

1) Putting the folders (game and game%) in the GAME150 folder

OR

2) Placing the folders in the PSP/GAME folder and setting the Recovery configuration to use the 1.50 kernel for that folder.

Keep in mind, also, that you can't just put the files right in the GAME folders. They need to be in subfolders, or even DA's XMB won't see the program.

ricki_b
March 31st, 2007, 11:24
So does anyone know how to run games with 333mhz on the custom firmware? Its so much better.

Edit : Done, its in the configuration mode. Two settings, one for XMB and one for UMD/ISO's

Diplomat223
March 31st, 2007, 17:08
- The ability to play your old PSX ganes
- Homebrew Support
- The recovery Menu
- 4th level of brightness
- UMD compatibility
- "Other" things that ca't be metioned
- The use of plugins

and more. BTW, go get 3.10 OE-A, I perfer that cause you get the recovery menu.