PDA

View Full Version : Memory stick Duo

ganon
May 9th, 2005, 02:41
Ok I wanna get a bigger MS but they r too expennsive I found a Sony brand 1gb for £82.95 with free shipping. Is it worth it?
R there cheaper 1s out there apart from ebay

Onetonbullet
May 9th, 2005, 06:45
I heard from a little birdie that Sony plans to release some sort of hard drive. Do not expect it to be cheap, but expect it to be large. Can you say iPod killer?

Corpsical
May 9th, 2005, 11:41
£83 for a Sony 1GB is cheap, I paid £92 for my Sandisk, is it in this country (if not add potential customs charge) if it is then is it in stock? ... these cards have got pretty rare at the mo

Corpsical

ganon
May 9th, 2005, 12:40
yea its in this country im not sure if its in stock though

vinnyemmery
May 9th, 2005, 15:54
hi i bought a 1gb sandisk from jessops the camera shop for £99 gbp took 3 weeks to time of order to collection but at least its a hight street store and you are not gonna get ripped off

leggy
May 9th, 2005, 16:07
Vimes, please let me know if you get one at that price.

I heard from a little birdie that Sony plans to release some sort of hard drive. Do not expect it to be cheap, but expect it to be large. Can you say iPod killer?

An add on hard drive would be crap - no portability.

Vimes220
May 9th, 2005, 19:50

What when where... wad did i do.... don't bring me into this, it was him ganon :p

ganon
May 9th, 2005, 20:23
i think that website is dead it says 1999 - 2003 all rights reserved

zen_child
May 9th, 2005, 23:06
Hi everyone, I've been looking to upgrade my memory stick due to the limited stock 32meg, I think a 1gig pro duo is the way to go instead of buying a 512 and finding the need to update at a later date.

I just wounded what the cheapest you guys have found(UK), i was lead to beleave sackdisk were cheaper then sony sticks but i found the Sony Original Memory Stick Pro Duo 1gb for £82.95........(maybe same place as ganon found)

http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_Sony_Digital_Memory_284.html?pid=PCACC06 4
(down bottom of page)

Is there anywhere cheaper i should know about?

Thanks

Onetonbullet
May 10th, 2005, 00:04

Large capacity...Not large size. heh heh

ganon
May 10th, 2005, 01:42
Hi everyone, I've been looking to upgrade my memory stick due to the limited stock 32meg, I think a 1gig pro duo is the way to go instead of buying a 512 and finding the need to update at a later date.

I just wounded what the cheapest you guys have found(UK), i was lead to beleave sackdisk were cheaper then sony sticks but i found the Sony Original Memory Stick Pro Duo 1gb for £82.95........(maybe same place as ganon found)

http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_Sony_Digital_Memory_284.html?pid=PCACC06 4
(down bottom of page)

Is there anywhere cheaper i should know about?

Thanks

bang on

danrowland
May 10th, 2005, 12:54
so does anyone know about the PSP HDD? where and when etc?

Odie
May 10th, 2005, 14:12
I've placed an order with MX2.co.uk. I phoned up to check on stock, they *said* that they're out of stock, but expect stock to come in tomorrow..... plus they don't charge till the item is dispatched.

83 quid for a Sony card is a bargain just now!

- Odie

ToolkiT
May 10th, 2005, 17:08
I've placed an order with MX2.co.uk. I phoned up to check on stock, they *said* that they're out of stock, but expect stock to come in tomorrow..... plus they don't charge till the item is dispatched.

83 quid for a Sony card is a bargain just now!

- Odie
Keep us posted!
I wonder if that 'hi speed' model is worth the extra ££..
Would the regular one be fast enough to stream movies?

Odie
May 10th, 2005, 17:32
It's unlikely that the high-speed model will be any more useful in the PSP. I currently have a 512mb Sandisk card, and if the Sony standard-speed one is as fast then I'll be more than happy. I might do some speed tests and post the results if/when I get the 1Gb card.

- Odie

ganon
May 10th, 2005, 17:40
It's unlikely that the high-speed model will be any more useful in the PSP. I currently have a 512mb Sandisk card, and if the Sony standard-speed one is as fast then I'll be more than happy. I might do some speed tests and post the results if/when I get the 1Gb card.

- Odie

you do that

zen_child
May 11th, 2005, 02:11
Bargin is what came to mind also, so i put in an order today... personaly i dont think the high speed is worth the extra money....

Onetonbullet
May 11th, 2005, 06:32
No it doesnt matter. Gamesaves and videos work perfectly on both.....I wonder if homebrew can take advantage of the faster transfer rate?

ganon
May 13th, 2005, 03:36
ne1 got it yet?

Odie
May 13th, 2005, 17:34
Not yet, I phoned them yesterday and they still expect stock some day soon.

zen_child
May 13th, 2005, 17:54
I rang them yesturday (thurdays) and they said i should have it by early next week.....I dont mind waiting at that price for a 1gig stick.... got myself fifa and mercury today so that should keep me busy in the mean time.

ganon
May 17th, 2005, 02:42
found another site with 1gb ms duo
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=121443
not sure about shipping charge and btw they r out of stock :P

leggy
May 17th, 2005, 10:05
Anyone any idea how much a 1gb would cost in the states?

I have a friend going over this week and wonder if I can get myself a bargain.

Odie
May 17th, 2005, 10:45
I think the going rate is around $110 in the shops, which is a brilliant deal considering the current exchange rates!

MX2 are still awaiting stock, apparently it's meant to be arriving today, but that might just have been another in a growing number of excuses I've gotten from them since last week.

- Odie

zen_child
May 17th, 2005, 16:48
Hmmm i'm starting to wonder about this company, i dont like been given false dates. they said to me they would certainly have stock by friday lastweek. Now i cant even get hold of them......Let me know as soon as you recieve your memory card odie....

Spark
May 17th, 2005, 16:55
I think the going rate is around $110 in the shops, which is a brilliant deal considering the current exchange rates!

MX2 are still awaiting stock, apparently it's meant to be arriving today, but that might just have been another in a growing number of excuses I've gotten from them since last week.

- Odie

It is a good time to be British, isn't it. :)

zen_child
May 17th, 2005, 17:00
lol i just got hold of them and they say there still awaiting stock, there taking the piss now..... (today's date : 17th)...... the person on the phone was a little impolite and blunt, which didnt make me very happy. If i dont recieve it by thursday/friday i'm going else where!!!

Zeno
May 17th, 2005, 19:00
BestBuy carries 1GB sticks.

Sony brand: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6895657&type=product&id=1095941103960

Sandisk brand:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7065258&type=product&id=1108125653511

Odie
May 18th, 2005, 01:36
Hmmm i'm starting to wonder about this company, i dont like been given false dates. they said to me they would certainly have stock by friday lastweek. Now i cant even get hold of them......Let me know as soon as you recieve your memory card odie....

The reason I ordered from them was because they seemed to have a decent rep when it came to some of the mp3 players they sell.

The person that I spoke to the other day was a bit blunt and rude as well, making out that they had done absolutely nothing wrong.

I'll give it a few more days, because to be honest, that price is hard to beat, and most reputable places with < 90 pricing (for the Sandisk one mind you) seem to be out of stock.

- Odie

ToolkiT
May 25th, 2005, 14:14
I have ordered from them too, but haven't heard a peep..
They didn't even reply to my email :(

I'll give them 2 weeks and then I'll cancel and go elsewhere..

Does anybody know any US online shops that have a good price AND ship to the UK AND allow UK credit cards?

zen_child
May 26th, 2005, 02:58
Its will have been 2weeks today (25th) since i ordered mine and i'm gonna give them a ring later and see what the deal is.

BlingShyne2 TAA
May 26th, 2005, 03:24
For those of you anxious for a PSP Harddrive, I hope you plan on playing your PSP for only 30 minutes at a time.

A hard drive will murder the PSP's already crippled battery life, Stick with memory sticks folks.

Kpow
May 26th, 2005, 07:02
Maybe not Bling, don't assume that a hard drive soaks up battery capacity.....maybe it'll have it's own power source and maybe it'll fit in a mobile phone, such as this one......

http://techdigestuk.typepad.com/tech_digest/2005/03/samsungs_uk_bou.html

A hard drive is a pretty good idea, 4gb on a drive that is 0.85inches....ummmmm YES PLEASE http://www.techdigest.tv/2005/03/tosh_4gig_mobil.html

Is it looking like a posibility???

ToolkiT
May 26th, 2005, 09:33
Maybe not Bling, don't assume that a hard drive soaks up battery capacity.....maybe it'll have it's own power source and maybe it'll fit in a mobile phone, such as this one......

A hard drive is a pretty good idea, 4gb on a drive that is 0.85inches....ummmmm YES PLEASE http://www.techdigest.tv/2005/03/tosh_4gig_mobil.html

Sounds like the HD in the new palm lifedrive..
Pretty sweet indeed.

p.s. I got a 1Gb MS on ebay, so we'll se how the other order goes.. I'll probably cancel it..

Odie
May 26th, 2005, 11:38
I've just cancelled my order this morning, I was tired of all the lies and rudeness from them on the phone. I'm sure their previous reputation has taken a battering over this whole MS Duo situation.

I managed to snag myself a fantastic deal on two Sandisk 1Gb cards on ebay, so I'll probably sell one when it arrives and save myself a few extra quid.

- Odie

peanut
May 26th, 2005, 13:59
just bought a 256mb off fleabay, its works fine in my psp, but my laptop cant read it, its a sandisk memory stick, but im using a sony duo adaptor, will this matter? im wondering if this is why it wont read it, coz it reads my sony memory stick duo fine, but not the sandisk...
anyone having this problem

Kpow
May 26th, 2005, 14:19
just bought a 256mb off fleabay, its works fine in my psp, but my laptop cant read it, its a sandisk memory stick, but im using a sony duo adaptor, will this matter? im wondering if this is why it wont read it, coz it reads my sony memory stick duo fine, but not the sandisk...
anyone having this problem

My sandisk 512 won't read either in my multi-card reader but works OK in the PSP. My camera is a Minolta, who say that the MS Duo won't work but it does. Didn't you get a Sandisk adaptor with it? Mine came as a set.

peanut
May 26th, 2005, 15:06
My sandisk 512 won't read either in my multi-card reader but works OK in the PSP. My camera is a Minolta, who say that the MS Duo won't work but it does. Didn't you get a Sandisk adaptor with it? Mine came as a set.
I orininally bought a sony card off ebay and a sony adaptor, to go in card reader and all worked fine its just the sandisk wont work in sony adaptor. Which means i have to spend more money on a damn Sandisk adaptor now.

Odie
May 26th, 2005, 15:14
peanut: why not just use the PSP as your card reader?

I think the converters cost around 6 quid, but I don't see any reason why the Sandisk card shouldn't work in the Sony converter, it's only used to enlarge the connectors to the standard MS (non-duo) size.

- Odie

zen_child
May 26th, 2005, 19:22
I was gonna ring them today but didnt get round to it. What did they say on the phone Odie? did they say they was still waiting for stock....? How much did u find the 2 cards off ebay for, was it about the same as from that website....

Who wants to be carrying an externel hard drive round with them anyway? not very portable.....Just get a MS duo

Odie
May 26th, 2005, 19:49
When I phoned I got some guy on the phone (at least it wasn't that rude woman that I've spoken to on previous calls) - he said it was still out of stock, and the system said they've been expecting them from the 19th. Apparently the reason the website hasn't been updated is because they're working on their new site (so basically, they couldn't be arsed)

They have no idea when they will get them in.

I managed to snag the two cards off ebay for a few quid less, including delivery from the USA than from MX2, which is quite an achievement considering the astronomical going rates on ebay these days.

Kpow
May 26th, 2005, 19:51

Well I carry something round all day, it's called my Mobile and Nokia have an N series that has a 4gb HD coming out in the next quater, it would be great if you could link the two items. There's your answer Zen_child, do you have a mobile phone??? and do you carry it around with you???

BlingShyne2 TAA
May 26th, 2005, 20:59
What the hell is a quid?

shizzle
May 26th, 2005, 21:14
one of our english quid pounds

zen_child
May 27th, 2005, 00:30
Sorry Kpow, my fault for not reading/viewing post/links..... i just assumed u ment something else (probably coz i'm getting pissed off with not been able to connect my psp to my pc but thats another story)......

Using your mobile as a hard drive would be sweet for music and video storage but i'm not a great fan of cables plus them things r most likely going to be expencive but sounds promising ....

Odie, thanks for info, i'm certainly going to cancel my order with them tomorrow and look else where.

gtekman
May 27th, 2005, 02:44

well just take a look at the Ipod PHOTO. It has a 40 gig HD, and it is smaller than the PSP. I don't know how they would add it on, but it wouldn't be too far out there ;)

Kpow
May 27th, 2005, 08:10
Sorry Kpow, my fault for not reading/viewing post/links..... i just assumed u ment something else (probably coz i'm getting pissed off with not been able to connect my psp to my pc but thats another story)......

Using your mobile as a hard drive would be sweet for music and video storage but i'm not a great fan of cables plus them things r most likely going to be expencive but sounds promising ....

Odie, thanks for info, i'm certainly going to cancel my order with them tomorrow and look else where.

On the subject of cables, PSP is wireless, so will mobile phones be. I wouldn't mind a cable if it means i have 40gb of storage, i'm only ever sitting down when playing my PSP and sometimes it's plugged in and charging.

Odie
May 27th, 2005, 10:09
Holy crap, my two 1Gb cards have arrived from the US, in under 36 hours!

peanut
May 27th, 2005, 11:00
Holy crap, my two 1Gb cards have arrived from the US, in under 36 hours!
where did you order them from?

Odie
May 27th, 2005, 11:04
From a seller on Ebay.

I just put up the 'spare' 1Gb card on another forum for sale, and it's been snapped up almost instantly. It's knocked another couple of quid off the cost of the one card I'm keeping.

Now I just need to sell my 512mb card :(

- Odie

peanut
May 27th, 2005, 12:10
From a seller on Ebay.

I just put up the 'spare' 1Gb card on another forum for sale, and it's been snapped up almost instantly. It's knocked another couple of quid off the cost of the one card I'm keeping.

Now I just need to sell my 512mb card :(

- Odie
how much you want for it?

Odie
May 27th, 2005, 12:33
£36.50 including first class recorded delivery sound fair for the 512mb? (either via bank transfer or PayPal)

It's in excellent condition. The blister packaging is long gone, but I have the cardboard insert (for the warranty) along with the card itself, the plastic case and the adapter to turn it into a full sized MS card for use in card readers.

If you're interested, I can provide you with my ebay feedback as well as feedback on other forums.

- Odie

zen_child
May 28th, 2005, 18:48
I cancelled my order on thursday and i'm now on the look out for another cheap MS.... Odie did u get charged import duty? and do u have the sellers ID?

shizzle
May 28th, 2005, 20:02
I'm interested, how can i get hold of it from you, where is it coming from??

Odie
May 28th, 2005, 22:20
ARGH! I typed a long reply and it got lost as I was posting it!

Anyway, long story short, the seller was blueproton or something like that. He/she sells a lot of memory cards in general, so you should be able to find their 1Gb Sandisk MS Pro Duo auctions quite easily. Make sure you take into account the ~15 pound postage cost when bidding. (Don't worry, the bidding usually ends in the 67-75 pound range before adding postage, so you'll get a reasonable deal delivered)

- Odie

ganon
June 1st, 2005, 01:59
found more in stock
http://www.onlinememory.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=80_95&zenid=667b01a7efbecd205e6b3948bcb2d71c
£86.87

http://www.digimem.biz/Details.cfm?ProdID=1003&category=0
£89.95

but still will look for cheaper coz im low on cash

ToolkiT
June 1st, 2005, 09:55
I got mine of this guy:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZeglobal26
He's in the US but ships to the UK and guarantees no VAT or import duty..

ToolkiT
June 6th, 2005, 10:08
I had canceled my order at MX2.com last week, and today I got this email:

Sent : Monday, June 6, 2005 10:50 AM
To :
Subject : RE: Order Number:

| | | Inbox

Dear Customer,

Sorry but your credit card has not been authorized.

We have tried to contact you by phone but to no avail.

To maintain our stock levels we have had to cancel his order. Should you
still require the goods, please re-order as we have not kept your order and
please ensure all card details are correct.

Sorry if this has caused you any inconvenience.

N.B. Please note this is not us not authorising the transaction it is your
bank, they do not give us a reason as to why they have done this so you will
need to check with them.

***If you reply please include all previous emails on the matter, Many
Thanks.***

Best Regards

Lisa

Customer Services

E-Mail [email protected]

These guys certainly don't have their bussiness in order..
I wonder why my CC bounced though, but it happened to be a blessing in disguize.. otherwise they would have charged me anyway, even though I canceled the order..