PDA

View Full Version : Frankenreview - Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

wraggster
March 29th, 2007, 21:08
via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/frankenreview/frankenreview-+-command--conquer-3-tiberium-wars-247957.php)

Experts have long upheld that commanding is really not all that difficult. Similarly, experts have also upheld that conquering is also a bit on the overrated. But to command AND conquer...now that...that is something really special.

That's why for this week's Frankenreview we're covering Westwood's sequel to Tiberian Sun (released 8 years ago already, btw), Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. It's not just another RTS. It's another RTS with campy video. (And I mean that as a compliment).

So what did the "experts" have to say?

Yahoo
This is probably the first Westwood style RTS that has almost everything you could want. It has hotkeys, easy unit selection options, ample visual cues, solid tactical AI, useful unit stances, formations, big obvious buttons, and helpful tool tips. You can even set an adjustable speed slider for multiplayer games and skirmishes. Cranked way down, Command & Conquer 3 is absolutely languid.
Gamespot
Some of the maps and textures are somewhat bland, but you aren't bound to care for long...In the most extreme battles, your screen will fill with mighty blasts and streams of lasers, as if you were the main player in a sci-fi action film. Amazingly, the game's performance never suffers, with few noticeable drops in frame rate and brief loading times.

Eurogamer
It's not really even trying to be a serious RTS - it just wants to live up to its name. You command, usually by drawing a big rectangle around everything on screen, and then you conquer, usually by then right-clicking on an enemy power station so their defences run out of juice and you can then kill everything else...this C&C is about entertaining rather than challenging.

Games Rader
Right off the bat, you'll notice how fast the game plays. Even at the default setting, there is little time for planning what you will build next or in which direction you will expand. Get a build order memorized and go, go, go; this is one of the most frantic real time-strategies in recent years....This is good, in a way, since it means you'll get to the action quickly.

Games For Windows (1up)
The last time we saw live bodies in a game was...what, last century?...Whether it's Tricia Helfer (Battlestar Galactica) preaching you up in punky fishnets, Josh Holloway (Lost) drawling like everyone's favorite Southern-fried wiseass...personality's the reason why you really can't miss Tiberium Wars...[it's a] revival of steely actors staring you straight in the eye and declaiming "Save our bacon or else!"... Consequently, this sequel...has something that most of its peers don't: personality.
I miss the early CD titles and their obsession with awkward, cheesy live action video. So this is a must-buy in my book...though I'm waiting for the 360 version.