PDA

View Full Version : 360 issues getting worse?

tsaikimon
March 30th, 2007, 10:33
This is the story of how all 3 xbox 360’s in our house broke in a little under 3 weeks time. Now for all you doubters and nay-sayers out there let us just preface this story with a few things.

1. View this youtube video for visual proof of the story below but please read the story first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1QPL9Ak0-c

2. We like 360. Or that is, we want to like 360. We didn’t sleep out in the cold on launch day for no reason. And we like the idea of competition amongst the console manufactures to stimulate innovation etc.

3. We’ve enjoyed our 360’s for the time they’ve been working no matter how short that was. We’ve even played them more than our ps3’s until just recently.

4. We are not trying to over hype this issue. The fact is that reality is just as bad as the hype makes it out to be. Once again refer to 2 & 3 to see that we really do want to like 360.

5. We treated these consoles like gold. As you can see from the youtube link at the beginning and end of this story we aren’t spastic little kids that use the 360 as a coaster for our chocolate milk, we like to have nice things and we take excellent care of them.

So here it goes

Two and a half weeks ago Roommate #1’s 360 took a crap while he was playing madden. This was preceded by many disc read errors and eventually the red ring of death. This 360 was only 3 months old. Bummer. He called Microsoft and since it was still under warranty they sent him a box to send it to the repair center free of charge. While his 360 was at the repair center roommate #2’s 360 took a crap while playing Geometry Wars. Wow-wow-wii-wow! This was a launch 360 and had shown absolutely no prior issues up until this point. Right after Geometry wars froze the red ring of death appeared and the 360 has not worked since. Roommate #2 also called Microsoft but since his console was out of warranty they were going to charge him $140 dollars for the repair which is about the price of half of a core 360. Just as roommate #1’s 360 returns home roommate #3’s 360 dies while playing GoW. This system was also a launch system and will cost him $140 dollars to repair as well.

The point of this article is that this cannot be a random occurrence or anomaly as Microsoft likes to call it. Take a moment and think about every person you know who’s had problems with their 360’s. Almost everyone we know has had problems with their consoles and now it’s not funny as ours are now the ones biting the dust. Microsoft should not be allowed to get away with sweeping this broad issue under the rug and charging us for it.

Please view the youtube video below for further proof incase you are a doubter. Also please add your stories and videos.

The included pole will hopefully tell us a bit more....please take the time participate

Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1QPL9Ak0-c

Darksaviour69
March 30th, 2007, 11:41
Its been establish now, that the first generation xbox 360's have a high fail rate. We have 3 xbox's in our house and 2 had to be replaced (for free). (mind has been ok, bar the very odd disc read failure, no read lights for me... yet)

kaffie
March 30th, 2007, 11:55
I have 2. Never had any problems (touch wood).

beetroot bertie
April 3rd, 2007, 13:39
My July 06 model has been OK so far but my mate's 360 (maybe 7-8 months old) has packed up with the ring of death. Fortunately Game have replaced it with no probs since it's within it's 1 yr warranty. He still decided to pay for extend cover this time though, so not much faith in the reliability there. Even I've been looking into some of the cooling solutions available. Whilst all seem to have pros and cons, the Madcatz fan and charger seems to be fair for the money. Anyone had any experience with one of these?

Shilo
April 5th, 2007, 23:00
My friend's 360 broke while he was playing Oblivion the other month. Only had it for 2 months too :(

UchihaSasuke
April 5th, 2007, 23:31
I been having mines for a 2 months and never had any problems with it

Khorney
April 14th, 2007, 11:40
i've had mine since december last year, and apart from one disk read problem (which i suspect was the disk rather than the console, a quick wipe down stopped the disk clattering around and no problems since), and thats with packing it up and taking it on a plane with me, twice =P. My friend had a problem of it not switching on properly or something, but its great that you can get replacement ones so easily with no hassle, and keep your harddrive.

gdf
April 14th, 2007, 17:26
cacked myself last night, moved it to the big tv cos i could and then got flashing red ring eek! turns out it was just cos i hadn't plugged it in yet.

BrooksyX
April 14th, 2007, 19:33
cacked myself last night, moved it to the big tv cos i could and then got flashing red ring eek! turns out it was just cos i hadn't plugged it in yet.

That happened to me before and I almost flipped, then I realized that 4 red rings of light means that the 360 audio video cable isnt plugged in.

Anyways my 360 that I got in dec 06 has been pretty good to me, I get the occasional freeze but that usauly only happens when I try and use the guide while a game is loading. I only got the 3 red ring of light once and that was after a power surge. That was a while ago and my 360 is doing fine. I also got a HDD error once but rebooted the 360 and everything worked fine (I don't remember but I think my HDD might not have been completly plugged in).

jaaae
April 17th, 2007, 10:25
I've had the hot air gun on my motherboard allready.....fixed a 3 ring 0102 error :)

SnesR0X
April 17th, 2007, 20:43
i got the 3 ring of death a few days ago, i called eb and they said they'd replace it.

wolfpack
April 17th, 2007, 21:14
the only problems i get are the disc read error... but i do remember my friends xbox 360 exploded while playing oblivion (true story too, i cant even make this up), so then he got it repaired, and exploded AGAIN! (the light on the 360 also turned red and started spinning like crazy) so then he junked it and bought a wii and hes been happy with it since... :P i like my 360 though.

Shadowblind
April 17th, 2007, 21:38
I got one around launch day and it up and died after a year and a month, unexplainably. My new one has no problems...yet.

Most disk errors are the disk itself.

mesosade
April 17th, 2007, 21:51
i'm scared to aproach mine, it bit me the other day.

Man
April 17th, 2007, 22:20
i traded my xbox 360 for a wii, so no problems here.

Xiofire
April 17th, 2007, 22:22
Xbox 360s are scary things. Duno whether its gonna break or not. Scared to play mine, want it to atleast work for Halo 3 and GOW 2 when it comes out. My one year warranty is gone :(
-Xiofire

pibs
April 17th, 2007, 23:00
Yep my 360 went down, it fried or something cuz it had the red ring of death i think it was because of the low ventilation and it had a bit of dust in the back. but circuit city replaced it no questions asked :)

folo30
May 3rd, 2007, 09:09
You guys are lucky my third 360 went last night my fist 1 lasted 5 months, my second one was faulty from day one and now my third one has just gone. Microsoft customer support will be getting a phone call tonight but it looks like its gonna cost me more money to repair or replace. I feel like trading all my 360 stuff and just playing on my PS3. It makes me sick though to think of how much money i have spent over the last year on my 360.

hexmex357
May 3rd, 2007, 14:36
I went by my buddy house. He traded his old 360 and now has the Elite. Well we started playing madden and it started freezing up on him. Man was he pissed because just before we started playing he was boasting on how smooth the new Elite is. If any new problems arrive i will post.

gdf
May 3rd, 2007, 21:47
why are the 360s so unreliable? i am shiting it cos i don't want to lose it and maybe my game saves and points. (seriously i couldn't start a new game on oblivion now)

mesosade
May 5th, 2007, 17:17
well i'm sure the hard drives have all remained intact correct? (soz for bump O_o)