PDA

View Full Version : Did i brick my psp ?

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 03:48
Hi everyone, hope someone can help me here.

I've been using themepsp 1.2 and absolutely loving it. It all worked fine i hope i didnt brick my psp.

What happen was i installed devhook.51, and downloaded themepsp 1.2 again, it worked the first few times until it suddenly stop working. i'm stuck at devil's may cry theme, right before the char kick the screen, it hangs, and switches off by itself.

It starts okie, i can scroll around on fw1.5 and all, but when i try starting a prog or update, the same thing happens, - its suppose to kick the screen then start the prog. But after installing devhook .51, and like i said it worked first few times (with spiderman theme), it stop working with devil may cry theme.

I've tried formatting my memory stick and reuse the programs, devhook 0.44 (the one i use to use before switching to 0.51), it hangs on the very same spot, where the char kicks the screen. So i'm pretty much stuck. I have a feeling its the theme that was corrupted, and wrote the corrupted stuff into my flash0. am i right ? :confused:

Can someone pls help me, have i bricked it? its a gift from my gf, and i cannot afford to buy another one, though the price has drop its still too expensive for me. please help.

DPyro
April 3rd, 2007, 03:53
Do you have recovery?

BL4Z3D247
April 3rd, 2007, 03:54
do you have custom firmware?

edit: nevermind $n!per's got you, your in good hands

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 04:00
no. whats recovery ? as in custom firmware ? i've read about harley custom firmware or some sort but i dont wanna be a smarta** act by myself. coz at least now i can still start my psp.

So i guess my answer is no i dont have a recovery :(

DPyro
April 3rd, 2007, 04:02
So the gameboot.pmf is not the default one, and when you try to run any homebrew it gets stuck at that screen?

BL4Z3D247
April 3rd, 2007, 04:02
yeh i think that's the case $n!per, he doesn't have custom fw either

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 04:21
wow thats some technical shit.. i dont understand :(

i just know, technically i dont have the recovery software like u guys have.

please tell me there's a way to fix this... sigh....

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 04:23
how do i know if my gameboot.pmf is the default one ? default as in from sony ? or from before my psp stop working on me ?

and yes, my psp hangs everytime i start whatsoever homebrew (as in sw ppl make yeh ? )

BL4Z3D247
April 3rd, 2007, 04:31
yeh the default one is the original PSP gameboot.pmf, wait can you see the XMB or "main screen" on your PSP? or does your memory stick light just keep flashing?

ICE
April 3rd, 2007, 04:34
sounds not good. if you used a custom gameboot thats corrupt then you cant load any games. no games on 1.5 with no recovery means no way to fix it that i know of.

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 04:36
i can see the main screen, but with a background of the devil may cry img. not the usual wavey red pink or blue type. and i cant change to the wavey one too coz fw1.5 doesn have theme change.

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 04:38
sounds not good. if you used a custom gameboot thats corrupt then you cant load any games. no games on 1.5 with no recovery means no way to fix it that i know of.

but i'm not using custom gameboot.. or am i ? what do u mean by custom gameboot ? things like themepsp and devhook ?

BL4Z3D247
April 3rd, 2007, 04:41
the custom gameboot is the little PSP thing that pops up when you start a game

ICE
April 3rd, 2007, 04:41
ok so the hanging/ crashing happens while under the devhook? if so you dont have a brick. if it crashes while on 1.5 you have a problem.

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 04:46
yeh the default one is the original PSP gameboot.pmf, wait can you see the XMB or "main screen" on your PSP? or does your memory stick light just keep flashing?

i can see the main screen.
This is what happen when i start my psp

switch on > "Lets rock baby" (instead of the original psp sony sound) > main screen with DMC wallpaper.

I can still scroll around options, pictures, music, video and game tabs. But when i start a homebrew, instead of the psp original screen this theme was suppose to have some dude kicking the screen, but mine freezes half way through the kicking process. It hangs and after a few seconds, let me time the thing..approx 15secs, it switches off by itself.

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 04:48
ok so the hanging/ crashing happens while under the devhook? if so you dont have a brick. if it crashes while on 1.5 you have a problem.

it crashes on 1.5 :( :( :( and yes i was running a custom gameboot :( :( :(

its sad to know i'm learning so much about my psp but its too late to do anything about it..

BL4Z3D247
April 3rd, 2007, 04:49
well may i recommend upgrading then downgrading, this should fix your problem

edit: wait it will freeze, unless you upgrade thru network update but it will give you 3.30 which you can't downgrade yet, so nevermind i'm outta ideas

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 04:52
i tried but it wont run anything, not even the upgrading process, coz it has to go through the gameboot first dont it ?

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 05:01
ok... so if i upgrade through network, i still stand a chance ? will it run the gameboot if i update through network ? since downgrading from the latest upgrade is a soon to happen thing with the pros around.. is it ?

ICE
April 3rd, 2007, 05:03
stop double posting. if you update through the update icon you will have a clean perfect 3.30 with no homebrew.

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 05:09
woops sorry.

okie. so u guys reckon i should update then ?

when did the 3.30 came out ?

BL4Z3D247
April 3rd, 2007, 05:10
ok... so if i upgrade through network, i still stand a chance ? will it run the gameboot if i update through network ? since downgrading from the latest upgrade is a soon to happen thing with the pros around.. is it ?
like theICE man said 3.30 at the time has no access to homebrew so i wouldn't upgrade thru the network update

ICE
April 3rd, 2007, 05:17
its either update to 3.30 and wait for it to be cracked or have a psp that cant play games.

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 05:28
ok... thanks for the help guys.

just a last question, once theres homebrew for 3.30, does that mean i can network update mine, then downgrade it back ? and things will be the same again ?

okie.. now i've got another problem. its got error connecting to the server. not my end, but probably sony's end ? i tested my connection, its connecting, but not to update server.

damn this is getting to my nerve...

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 07:05
hi. sorry to be a pain, this psp is my everything. my mp3 player, games of coz and yeh... i cant afford to have it bricked.

i'm using my neighbour's psp to download an update into my ms, then run it on my psp. will that work ?

gymnotropic
April 3rd, 2007, 07:17
Get a 2.71 firmware update. Put it in X:\PSP\UPDATE.

From what I've gathered, you can start up your PSP and scroll around, but you can't start any applications because your gameboot is messed up.

Try this:
Turn your PSP on.
Go to the Memory Stick under Game.
Find the 2.71 update (assuming you have placed it already).
Hold down the button that changes the screen's brightness for a few seconds, and keep holding it down. While you do this, press "X" to start the update that you should have "moused" over.

I've heard someone say its worked before, so it is worth a shot. Assuming the update runs successfully, downgrade back to 1.50 and then install 3.03 OE-C (my personal preference).

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 07:41
hi. was it x:\psp\update or x:\psp\game\update ?

just wanna be sure

omggg... its working... its updating......

gymnotropic
April 3rd, 2007, 07:58
So yeah, like I said. Find the 2.71 downgrader (I don't know where it is, should be around here somewhere) and downgrade down to 1.50.

To prevent further problems (mostly, anyways), get 3.03 OE-C on your PSP (Google it).

After you get 3.03 OE-C, you will notice you cannot run most (any?) homebrew.

When you start the PSP up, hold down the Right trigger and go into the recovery screen. Go to Configuration and find something that says "Game folder homebrew". Hover over it and press X, and change it to 1.50 Kernel. Exit, and you'll be able to run it again, with less risk of bricking your PSP.

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 08:05
sorry to double post, but i'm too excited now.. it worked !!!

thank you heaps gymnotropic... u're a legend... i've been frowning for the entire day its great to be finally smiling again...

now.. to downgrade to 1.5 then install 3.03, if u dont mind can u guide me through the process ? i dont wanna brick my psp again.. thank u again...

gymnotropic
April 3rd, 2007, 08:13
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&thread.id=2748114&jump=true

Here is an excellent one. Ironically, it is on the Playstation board.

Be incredibly cautious when following these instructions-- the only way something could go wrong is if you don't follow closely.

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 08:27
i'm having trouble downgrading it to 1.5 now...
i downloaded a full version downgrader from xtrusion, and it hangs before the red screen appear in the photo album.

is there any other ways that i can downgrade this ?

mkelvin
April 3rd, 2007, 08:59
i'm back with 1.5

going through the instructions u gave me. thanks heaps for your help.

seriously, thank u. :D

Triv1um
April 3rd, 2007, 09:11
Now you're there, get custom firmware if you are going to start customizing themes.

It is not as safe messing with v1.50 flash memory because it is unrecoverable always, unless in you're case.

When in custom firmware it does not make you unbrickable but you have chance of it been recoverable.
This meens you can drop down to 1.50 when ever you like or you can make the flash0 right so it doesn't brick.

Seriously 1.50 doesn't have any advantages over custom firmware at all.