PDA

View Full Version : Japanese machine

TheMegaMan
April 3rd, 2007, 13:38
Hi,

I hope some of you guys can offer some advice and help to a complete newbie to the PSP world.

I recently got a PSP on a trip to Japan (I live in the UK), having been assured that games weren't region encoded. While it does indeed seem to play most games OK, I recently found that MACH seems to have the 'X' and 'O' buttons swapped over. Hardly a disaster, but annoying, none the less.

So is there any way I can fix this? I'm on V2.82 firmware, but is it the firmware that's causing the buttons to be swapped, or do the Japanese machines have the buttons wired up differently?

While I'm intrigued by the homebrew world, I'm not a programmer, and I'm having a hard time finding any docs that really give me a good, basic introduction to this. Any pointers, anyone, please? It seems I need to download a whole bunch of different FAQ pages from sites such as this, and try to piece them all together. :confused:

Also, I've just got my PS3, so I'm keen that anything I do to my PSP isn't going to affect how the two are likely to coexist, ie do I need to get the latest firmware to allow the PS3 to work with it?

Thanks, everyone!

:thumbup:

Edit to correct current firmware version (I originally wrote v2.72 instead of v2.82)

hodgy47
April 3rd, 2007, 17:56
you need to downgrade to 1.50 firmware then up to a custom firmware to rectify this problem and the custpom firmware will also let you play homebrew and ps1 games on your psp
As for your ps3 they will work together no probs with any ps3 firmware however you must have firmware on your psp that supports remote play and again custom firware has this feature. you dont need anymore reasons to go custom do you?

ru'
April 3rd, 2007, 18:09
For some reason the Jap ones have X and O swopped; the games you have don't so you see a difference.

Custom firmware is your friend...

TheMegaMan
April 4th, 2007, 12:37
Thanks guys, that's great.

I've been looking around a bit, and read a comment that there is no such thing as different firmware for different regions, but that doesn't quite sound right if that's what's causing the buttons to be swapped.

Anyway, downgrading sounds like it's what I want to do. Just to check my understanding on this, as I currently have v2.82, it looks like I have to upgrade to v3.03 before I can then go back to v1.5. I do happen to have what I believe is the correct version of GTA:LCS, so I guess I should be abe to do this fairly easily.

From there, would I be advised to go to 3.10 OE-B?

Thanks!

steve-b
April 4th, 2007, 14:35
yes, or hold off a couple of days till 3.30 oe is released

TheMegaMan
April 16th, 2007, 12:23
Right, I've now got my PSP running 3.10OE-A (I thought I'd let 3.30OE settle down for a little while before trying this)

However, the X and O buttons are still swapped and I've not seen any options anywhere in the new firmware to swap them back to US/UK spec.

Any advice on where to go from here? Is there a config file or something that I need to change, rather than being able to do it through the user interface?

Is there in web site in general which explains all the things I can do with 3.10OE-A that I couldn't do before? From what I've seen by looking around, this information isn't really all in one place...

Thanks, guys!

splodger15
April 16th, 2007, 12:55
You need to go into recovery menu to change buttons. Hold R on startup

TheMegaMan
April 16th, 2007, 13:06
Ah, I see. Thanks. I assumed the recovery menu was just needed in case of a disaster, or something.

Is there anywhere that actually has this kind of thing written down?

TheMegaMan
April 17th, 2007, 11:56
Excellent - the recovery menu did indeed contain the option, so I've now got X as my select button! This will make it a lot easier to use now.

Cheers!