PDA

View Full Version : original 1.5 wants to play new games...

bjaffe
April 3rd, 2007, 19:49
I own an original 1.5 that I would like to play newer games on. I have never upgraded. I considered DevHook, but it looks like there are better options. I don't want to do anything to brick my PSP.

What is the best option if I want to play new games and also convert my old PS1 games to be playable on my PSP (I don't know if I can do that with DevHook)? Other than watching my converted DVDs, I am not really interested in doing much more than that. Maybe I am one of those people that should just update regularly...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

gymnotropic
April 3rd, 2007, 19:53
Anyone here would probably tell you to upgrade to a custom firmware-- there are risks involved in doing it if not done correctly, however.

Google up "3.03 OE-C". My personal preference in custom firmware.

Shadowblind
April 3rd, 2007, 19:54
I stuck to 1.5 as if my life depended on it. I was extremely reluctant at first, but I NEVER regretted updating to Dark_Alex's custom firmware 3.10 o-ea.

bjaffe
April 3rd, 2007, 20:00
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I saw you had helped the guy who thought he bricked his PSP, and was hoping you might see my message. I have 3.03 OE and 3.10 OE downloaded as well as the newest DevHook. I have some tutorials as well that seem to be easy to follow. I am not the most technically savvy person, but I can follow directions well. I will almost certainly need to use an easy installer.

So 3.03 OE will allow me to:

1. Play all of my new UMD games (I have the actual games...not ISO's)?

2. Play my converted PS1 games?

3. Watch my converted DVD's? (what do you recommend for converting...I was going to by Xcopy9 or something?)

Any advantage to 3.10 OE?

Thanks again for any advice.

bjaffe
April 3rd, 2007, 20:04
I stuck to 1.5 as if my life depended on it. I was extremely reluctant at first, but I NEVER regretted updating to Dark_Alex's custom firmware 3.10 o-ea.
Shadowblind, thanks for the reply. Do you think that 3.10 OE has advantages over 3.03 OE?

I only had Hot Shots golf, Lumines and Ridge Racer for a long time so I didn't need to update. I got new games for Christmas, but found out about all the homebrew stuff so I have been sort of paralyzed while trying to figure out what to do. I would like to keep the option of learning a lot of new stuff to do with my PSP.

weirdelf
April 3rd, 2007, 20:36
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I saw you had helped the guy who thought he bricked his PSP, and was hoping you might see my message. I have 3.03 OE and 3.10 OE downloaded as well as the newest DevHook. I have some tutorials as well that seem to be easy to follow. I am not the most technically savvy person, but I can follow directions well. I will almost certainly need to use an easy installer.

So 3.03 OE will allow me to:

1. Play all of my new UMD games (I have the actual games...not ISO's)?

2. Play my converted PS1 games?

3. Watch my converted DVD's? (what do you recommend for converting...I was going to by Xcopy9 or something?)

Any advantage to 3.10 OE?

Thanks again for any advice.

3.10 oe can do all of that and play pal ps1 games.

bjaffe
April 3rd, 2007, 20:41
Thanks for jumping in weirdelf...I will plan on upgrading with one of the OE's tonight. I will report back and let everyone know how it is.

The first PS1 game that I want to play is Einhander...I can't wait!

weirdelf
April 3rd, 2007, 22:40
The converting process is quite difficult. I recommend that you use this guide:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=391740

bjaffe
April 7th, 2007, 10:19
I did it! I just upgraded to 3.10oe! I used the easy installer from Vision and it was a breeze. I played a new UMD to test it out and it worked perfectly. Thanks for all of your responses and encouragement.

I am going to make ISO's of some of my PSX games tomorrow and try them out. I will use the Popstation info. that weirdelf provided a link for.

Does that automatically place the game in the right directory/file on my memory card after a make the image?

Do I need any other application to run the PSX iso?

Thanks again!

hodgy47
April 7th, 2007, 10:23
Depending on which popstation gui you use it can indeed place it in the correct location on mem stick. and you may need alcohol120% or something similar to rip your ps1 game to iso before you convert to eboot.

bjaffe
April 7th, 2007, 10:29
Wow hodgy47, I thought I was the only person awake right now. Thanks for the quick response.

Will I need to add anything else to my memory stick...like an emulator or anything? Or, does the 3.10oe firmware just allow you to play the PSX game as an iso? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Sorry, I just saw that you're in the UK...it may not be so late/early there.

hodgy47
April 7th, 2007, 11:12
Wow hodgy47, I thought I was the only person awake right now. Thanks for the quick response.

Will I need to add anything else to my memory stick...like an emulator or anything? Or, does the 3.10oe firmware just allow you to play the PSX game as an iso? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Sorry, I just saw that you're in the UK...it may not be so late/early there.

If you have upgraded to 3.10oe the ps1 emulator(popstation) is built in you need nothing else on psp in order to play them although you must convert your iso to eboot and it 11.13am here in UK

weirdelf
April 7th, 2007, 11:40
But it says 11:12 on your post :eek:
Anyway, use this guide and it should be easy:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56492

hodgy47
April 7th, 2007, 11:46

My clock must be a minute fast LOL:rofl:

bjaffe
April 7th, 2007, 18:08
Thanks again weirdelf and hodgy47. I will make the iso's today. I already have Alcohol120, and I have used it before to create BOR discs for my dreamcast so I am familiar with it. Weirdelf, I will use the guide that you linked. Thanks!

hodgy47
April 7th, 2007, 19:00
No probs anytime if you need anymore help just shout

Triv1um
April 7th, 2007, 19:03

My guide :thumbup:

Thanks for linking it, it doesnt seem to be helping very many people =\

hodgy47
April 8th, 2007, 00:13
My guide :thumbup:

Thanks for linking it, it doesnt seem to be helping very many people =\

Triv1um it should cos i know how to use simple popstation gui and its correct word for word the problem is people just dont read instructions they download the program and to hell with the guide and a well known fact the read me of many programs is still the most ignored part of a program.

bjaffe
April 8th, 2007, 03:41
Triv1um xxx, I will definitely be using it to guide me. I am old and afraid of technology so I am always very careful. Thanks!