PDA

View Full Version : New owner need's help.

Xbox_Man
April 4th, 2007, 18:42
Hey guy's i just bought my dreamcast today and when i got it homw pluged everything in and powered it up and the light on the top of the console came on but there was no picture on the screen, btw im using rgb.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Xbox_Man
April 4th, 2007, 21:41
Any one?? Please.

PLZKLLME0080
April 4th, 2007, 21:43
were the cords plugged into both the system and T.V.? its happend to me before. with my PS2, i have to juggle the part of the cord connected to it to get it to work. try that to.

Xbox_Man
April 4th, 2007, 21:52
what do you mean by that and yeah they are connected and before i even got sound for a short period of time.

beetroot bertie
April 4th, 2007, 21:53
When you say RGB, do you mean a scart cable or the standard RF cable?

If it's the RF cable, have you tried moving the switch on it? The 'I' setting is for the UK, the 'G' for all other countries. That might help.

I can't remember exactly how it works as I use a scart cable but you may need to tune the TV too.

PLZKLLME0080
April 4th, 2007, 21:55
what do you mean by that and yeah they are connected and before i even got sound for a short period of time.

when i say i have to jiggle the cord around, i mean the part that connects into the system. DIRECTLY plugging into the system. i guess the output on my PS2 got damaged and the picture and sound wont come out right sometimes.

Xbox_Man
April 4th, 2007, 22:19
When you say RGB, do you mean a scart cable or the standard RF cable?

If it's the RF cable, have you tried moving the switch on it? The 'I' setting is for the UK, the 'G' for all other countries. That might help.

I can't remember exactly how it works as I use a scart cable but you may need to tune the TV too.

yeah its a normal scart and i cant tune my tv.

Christuserloeser
April 4th, 2007, 22:28
Unplug the scart lead from your Dreamcast and put it back in as deep as it goes.

Also switch through the AV channels of your TV (usually AV1, AV2, RGB, etc.). Select RGB and don't forget to turn your Dreamcast off and on again.

On my TV, the Dreamcast sets its channel automatically, no matter what channel I've been watching before.

beetroot bertie
April 4th, 2007, 22:33
Mine too. I turn on the DC and the channel automatically switches over. I wish my 360 would do the same.

If you got an RF cable as well (?) maybe you could try that instead as the scart cable may be faulty.

Xbox_Man
April 4th, 2007, 22:35
Unplug the scart lead from your Dreamcast and put it back in as deep as it goes.

Also switch through the AV channels of your TV (usually AV1, AV2, RGB, etc.). Select RGB and don't forget to turn your Dreamcast off and on again.

On my TV, the Dreamcast sets its channel automatically, no matter what channel I've been watching before.

when i push it in as far as it goes, the console doesnt show the power on light.

Xbox_Man
April 4th, 2007, 22:36
Mine too. I turn on the DC and the channel automatically switches over. I wish my 360 would do the same.

If you got an RF cable as well (?) maybe you could try that instead as the scart cable may be faulty.

nah i dont have the rf cable.

Xbox_Man
April 4th, 2007, 23:23
comeon guys please help i really need this to work.

Christuserloeser
April 5th, 2007, 00:04
Please edit your posts instead of doing three posts in a few minutes. ;)

when i push it in as far as it goes, the console doesnt show the power on light.

You mean you push the scart lead on your Dreamcast's video out ? and that's causing your Dreamcast not to work anymore ? Sure you didn't touch the power plug ?

Xbox_Man
April 5th, 2007, 11:10
Please edit your posts instead of doing three posts in a few minutes. ;)

You mean you push the scart lead on your Dreamcast's video out ? and that's causing your Dreamcast not to work anymore ? Sure you didn't touch the power plug ?

no when i push the end that goes into the dream cast as far as it goes the dream cast wont turn on.

*edit* i now have sound and can see faintly the dream cast logo on the start up screen as its a slightly lighter shade of black, any ideas on how to get this baby running?

Xbox_Man
April 5th, 2007, 15:13
aww come on please help me!!!

Christuserloeser
April 6th, 2007, 02:25
*edit* i now have sound and can see faintly the dream cast logo on the start up screen as its a slightly lighter shade of black, any ideas on how to get this baby running?

Turn it on and off again.

Xbox_Man
April 6th, 2007, 12:47
Turn it on and off again.

ive done that a million times.

Christuserloeser
April 6th, 2007, 14:15

Here's how it should be: I turn on my TV, it starts on channel 1. I turn on my Dreamcast and it automatically switches to AV1. (AV1 is the scart port of my TV where my Dreamcast is connected to, it's set to RGB).

Your TV should have the option to select which signal is the source for your AV channel (usually AV1, AV2, RGB, etc.). Either select RGB or switch through them and don't forget to turn your Dreamcast off and on again.

If you got access to a second TV set it would be helpful too. So take your DC to your friend or parents and try if you can get a picture. If it doesn't work there too, you know for sure it's not your TV's settings that's the problem.

You might want to try tracking down another RGB cable, as it's still possible the one you currently have isn't in a very good condition.

Although, from the limited hints and bits of info you've posted, the problem could also be your Dreamcast. So, if you can't get it to work, buy another one at ebay. They're really cheap anyway. Plus if you got a new Dreamcast and a new RGB cable, you should be able to definitly find the source of your problem and could still sell at ebay what you don't need anymore (either your duplicated RGB cable + your broken Dreamcast, or your broken RGB cable + dublicated Dreamcast).

Xbox_Man
April 11th, 2007, 10:35
thanks man im gonna have a fiddle round with this new cable that just came but it looks like its the dream cast at fault.

Shinebi
April 11th, 2007, 12:08
i now have sound and can see faintly the dream cast logo on the start up screen as its a slightly lighter shade of black, any ideas on how to get this baby running?

Well, you plugged the Scart into the wrong socket, I'd say. When you hear sound and have a faint picture as you described, try another scart socket, as the original cables only work on AV/RGB enabled sockets.