PDA

View Full Version : 2G Slot 1 NDS flash format problem

vancom
April 5th, 2007, 09:13
Hi,
I have a card called anyy cvt 2g that fits into the slot one on my NDS. it is a 256 mb card. It came with a usb writer that fits in the slot 2. The card was running fine for a few weeks but then stopped working. I formatted the flash card under windows xp using FAT. when I boot the NDS It either asks to reformat using windows as itneed to needs to be 16k. I have tried to reformat it at the command prompt using <format H: /fs:FAT /A:16k> but the NDS says it cannot find <dsystem> which does exsist under windows or it says disk full delete some files. The disk however only has a 16mb file on it.
Has any one had this problem and how on earth do i format to get the card running again?
PLEASE PLEASE HELP
Regards
James

eomund
April 6th, 2007, 01:04
First off it does work like a jump driver on your computer right? If your running windows xp, to format the card in 'my computer' you right click it and select format.

I know that the slot 2 cards need to be FAT or FAT16, but I don't know about the slot 1 cards, hopefully someone here will fill that in.

vancom
April 6th, 2007, 04:13
First off it does work like a jump driver on your computer right? If your running windows xp, to format the card in 'my computer' you right click it and select format.

I know that the slot 2 cards need to be FAT or FAT16, but I don't know about the slot 1 cards, hopefully someone here will fill that in.

Yes that is right..It works just like a thumb drive. The NDS says it needs to be FAT 16. I wonder if I need to redo the partition? Any one care to comment on this....I dont really want to try anything that will make the card even worse!

eomund
April 7th, 2007, 00:32
Try reformating the card.

You right click the drive in 'My Computer' and select format. You can then choose what format you want I.E. FAT, FAT16, FAT32 ect. You also have the option to do a quick format or a full format. DON'T do the quick format when changing drive types.

Back up anything you might want that's on the drive first, but this will give you a clean slate to work with. This is how you do it in windows XP. If you're not using XP, post up and I will try to help out.

BTW, using the command prompt to format anymore isn't the best way to go. Now that it's an emulated version of the original, it doesn't work quite as well as it used to.

vancom
April 7th, 2007, 01:52
This is exactly what I have done right from the start. However, I only have two choices when formatting. FAT or FAT32. I dont get any choices such as FAT16 or any others.
This is reason I tried to format via command promt.
I may need to delete the partition and then try to repartition it, Was kinda hoping a techie might have been able to advise me whether this is a good or bad idea before I went ahead and did it.

DanTheManMS
April 8th, 2007, 03:12
in the Windows format box, "FAT" is the same thing as "FAT16" so that's not the issue. Unfortunately I have no idea what the problem is.

eomund
April 10th, 2007, 02:00
in the Windows format box, "FAT" is the same thing as "FAT16" so that's not the issue. Unfortunately I have no idea what the problem is.

Dan is right FAT and FAT16 are basically the same thing, if you do it with the FAT settings 99% chance it'll work.

vancom
April 10th, 2007, 10:43
Dan is right FAT and FAT16 are basically the same thing, if you do it with the FAT settings 99% chance it'll work.

I agree with you guys, the only wierd thing is, my nds keeps telling me either I need to reformat to 16k (which I have) Or it tells me the disk is full (which it is not) or it will tell me it cant find dsystem folder (which is there). I cant delete the partition or anything because it is basicaly a mem card.
Windows formats the card without problem, it writes to it and can delete from it and property checks tell me there is nothing wrong with it. I have tried the card in a friends NDSL and the same result.
It is making me go grey to early in life!!

eomund
April 10th, 2007, 21:59
Haha, I dunno if you have this info, but can you call the company you bought it from?

I've never used a slot 1 card before, so I'm not familiar with them. If you can get a hold of someone, they maybe able to walk you through it, tell you if they have special software, and maybe even able to tell you if it's working properly or if you need a replacement.

Sorry that the help I tried to provide was worthless. Post up if you figure it out and what you did for future slot 1ers.