PDA

View Full Version : Help buying PSP

HAzArdrOxS
April 11th, 2007, 08:40
Hi Everyone new to this forum.
If someone could possiblly tell me the do's and donts to buying a PSP.

Well i plan on buying a PSP this weekend and plan on playing SNES on it and PS1 so could someone possible things i need to think of before buying it and starting my quest
Such as:
Size of Memory stick and what games not to play before trying to do all this.
I read all y o ur FAQ's and unerstand much and ready i hopes.
I would like to know about this 3.10 firmware this comes with a PS1 emulator and id like to know if u could add the SNES emulator to it or if its a seperate firmware? id also like to know with 3.10 firmware u can play all games currently out for the actual psp and i could play any of them with no problems or worries of downloading any unwanted firmware which stops me from getting the things i want.

Hopefully i posted this in the right forum hehe if not plz move it to correct one thanks

Thanks for all help and hope to learn much

HAzArdrOxS

Zeon
April 11th, 2007, 09:33
Essentially, you need a version 1.50 firmware psp or anything up to I believe 3.03 (or 3.01 can't remember for sure) but no higher. If you get anything after a 1.50 or up to 2.80 you can run a downgrader to return to 1.50 even on the newest psp motherboards without the need of an unpatched Grand theft auto LCS umd game. With a a psp > 2.81 but < 3.03 (or 3.01 whichever it is) psp I believe you need upgrade to the respective firmware be it 3.01 or 3.03, check the faqs to be sure. After that you will need to run the downgrader for that firmware with the unpatched GTA game.

The bottom line is that you need something that you can downgrade to a 1.50 psp from which you can upgrade to DA's custom firmwares which allow you to play you own psx games if you so choose. 1.50 will run all homebrew, but does not have the features of later psp firmwares, while DA's custom firmwares include the most of the newest features of the psp and the homebrew and psx functionality. You can play snes games with a snes emulator made for the psp, check dcemu's psp site and look under the emulators for psp section on the left side to get yourself started, I recommend SnesTYL or whatever it is called. As of right now the most current firmware is 3.30 and the most current custom firmware by da is 3.10-OEA'. The reason I mention this is that whenever new games that require firmware 3.30 come out (of which there currently are none) you will not be able to play them until DA comes out with his next custom fw supporting 3.30. Or you can downgrade back to 1.50 and upgrade to the official sony 3.30 but lose all homebrew functionality. Usually DA is pretty on top of things with his custom firmwares, and they are out before any game requires the newest firmware. However the possibility that he may discontinue his work is always a possibility and something to keep in mind. But like I said there is a recovery feature in his custom firmwares which allows you to return to the official sony 1.50 firmware and upgrade to the latest official sony firmware from there.

So to recap get a 1.50 psp if possible and upgrade to da's custom firmware via the faqs for psx iso, official umd, and all homebrew capability, or if not get anthing under a 3.01 (or 3.03 like I said check to be sure) and downgrade via the appropriate method to 1.50 and upgrade to da's custom firmware. Da's custom firmware's have a recovery mode so you can always go back to the official firmware (although on downgraded ta-082 and ta-086 motherboards I have heard of people not being able to upgrade to the latest official firmware, and I'm not sure if that was solved or not). For me thest best price per space range of memory sticks was a 2 gig and it stores a lot of stuff. I think you can get a 4 gig nowadays on sale at places like Fry's or Circuit City for a pretty decent price and considering the 8 gigs just came out they should continue to get cheaper. Just don't buy off ebay, you will likely get a cheap counterfeit ms pro duo and this can brick your psp if you use it to downgrade. For the downgrader and DA's custom fw's I would recommend having at least 256 mb just to be safe, but you may as well get a bigger one if you plan to play psx games, at least 1 gig.

And just to be clear, if you want to do homebrew, play psx games, etc. for the love of all that is good and holy do not upgrade your psp. Period, unless it's a custom firmware upgrade. With official firmwares, anything beyond 1.50 cannot (for the most part) do homebrew or psx games at all. With custom firmwares, you can play all of the newest games, and play homebrew such as a snes emulator and play psx games via pops the official sony psx emulator for psp. So keep in mind sony's official firmware upgrades = bad for homebrew enthusiast, DA's custom firmware's = Pure homebrew bliss plus full psp functionality minus the location free player, korean font, plus recovery mode to recover from bricks and return to official firmwares if you so choose.

I hope this all made sense and that I didn't just scare the crap out of you, and that it helps you. If you have any more questions I or surely someone else will be glad to help as best as we can.

Triv1um
April 11th, 2007, 10:37
I just answered in you're ither damn thread.

here is what I said -
"
a 2.71 psp would be best for you, so you can downgrade without needing unpatched gta-lcs which is hard to get hold of now.

you downgrade to 1.50 so you can open up the world of homebrew and emulators, from 1.50 you can upgrade to a custom firmware, which gives you all the same goodnesses but you have psx emulator built in and you can play the newest umd games, and you get all the benefits of the current firmware.

if you're getting into emulatation I recommend a 2 to 8gb memory stick. I use a 4gb and its full.

UMD wise I recommend getting a 'pre-owned' gta-lcs hoping you get the unpatched version. if you do you're in the money
"

HAzArdrOxS
April 11th, 2007, 18:27
Yeah lol my bad well i didnt realize i was shoulda just posted in Help forum hehe

Well i have a question do all Brand NEw Psps you buy anywhere are they all start with what version do they come with the newest firmware? so if so id have to buy one off ebay where its a 1.5 firmware?

hodgy47
April 11th, 2007, 23:41
Success HK sell them already at 1.50.

HAzArdrOxS
April 12th, 2007, 00:38
Success HK sell them already at 1.50.
Whats this mean?

Triv1um
April 12th, 2007, 00:54
Didn't you read my post?

1.50 is the firmware that allows homebrew/emulators. already been 1.50 meens its homebrew ready out the box.

HAzArdrOxS
April 12th, 2007, 02:08
people ive talked to are saying that when they got there brand new psp the version of the firmware was 2.8 and people are constatnly telling me differnt verisons they getting when they buy psp's