PDA

View Full Version : Review: SuperCard DS ONE SLOT-1

bandit
April 12th, 2007, 04:02
SuperCard DS ONE SLOT-1
Manufacturer: SuperCard (http://eng.supercard.cn)
Site: Buy from DealExtreme (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5097~r.74066433) / Buy from VolumeRate (http://www.volumerates.com/product/sku/5097~r.1288139925U4523) / Buy from DealExtreme (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2393~r.74066433) (1GB) / Buy from LighTake (http://www.lightake.com/detail.do/sku.SuperCard_DS_One_Multimedia_Card_(English_SDHC _Version)-21151~C.IOOAM102312010ANEWC)
Price: $37.90-$49.90

Overview : As the first extra flash memory game cartridge, SuperCard team has been working in developing new features in the past three years. With the simple but practical functions, SuperCard has gained a great popularity of gamer in the world. After a long period of development, our team finally come up the new version -- SUPERCARD DS (ONE).

Main Features :

Plug 'n Play(No FlashMe, No PassMe, No convert).
100% Clean Rom Support. 100% game capatibility.
No PC software required, just Drag 'n Drop file from PC to flash memory card.
Hardware save support. Easy to backup and exchange save with other players.
Support FAT/FAT32 up to 32Gbits flash memory card. Flash memory card can be used on other digital products, save money.
Blue-Light engine included. Support High speed flash memory card without any slow down.
DS original cartridge size, the perfect solution of slot 1.
TFlash/MicroSD slot Push 'n Push design, easy to use.
Micro firmware designed, and extended skin which is fully upgradeable.
MoonShell built-in design. Can play MP3, OGG and DPG2 directly in SuperCard DS system. Compatible with DPG0/DPG1. It also support eBook and view picture. It's a real multimedia system.
TWO mode design:
Standard mode: 100% Compatible when copy clean ROMs are place into MicroSD for playing directly
Super mode: support RESET, cheat code, save to flash memory card directly.

Additional Functions :

Can be used as a SuperKey.
Inter-play with GBA slot.
Support SC Rumble Series as a rumble PAK.
There is a SuperCard DS software (Super Mode need to use), you do not need to use it at standard mode. But if you use the software, SuperCard DS can support more powerful functions, such as RESET, cheat code, infinity save space etc (can support save more than 4m in the feature).

Quality/Usability : SuperCard has re-released their DS ONE. This time with a new look, new packaging and improved quality. The DS ONE is a SLOT-1 cartridge similar to that of the R4DS (http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review-r4ds-r4-revolution-for-ds-slot-1-54318.html) and M3 Simply (http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review-m3-ds-simply-cartridge-slot-1-54763.html). Included with the DS ONE is a small manual on a slip of paper as well as a microSD card reader. Unfortunately, no CD with drivers or file were included so you would have to go to their website to download (http://eng.supercard.cn/soft_scdsone.htm) the latest files. Here is another alternative site to download (http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/) the latest files. The download file will contain NDS files and a SCSHELL folder.

The quality is top-notch and very sturdy. Size is the same exact size of that of an original DS cartridge. Just like all SLOT-1 microSD cartridges, you simply insert your microSD through the top of the DS ONE. It also has a spring mechanism for ejecting the microSD. Transferring files to the microSD either with the included card reader or your own is a simple drag and drop procedure.

Once you have placed all the necessary files on to the microSD and inserted it into the DS ONE, its time to take it for a test drive. Upon booting up the DS, you are greeted with a splash screen. Unlike the R4DS and M3 Simply where all your files are viewed at the top of the screen, the DS ONE is all at the bottom. That means you can do all your selecting and changing with the stylus rather than the directional pad and buttons. The graphic user interface (GUI) is customizable and resembles that of the Moonshell. On the touch screen, you are given four menus to choose from:

Saver - manually change the size of the .SAV file to 4K / 64K / 512K / 2M / 4M
Other -
- Enable GBA Union: links between GBA and NDS games to unlock bonus content, such as new characters, or levels for example.
- Set SC to Rumble Mode: allows you to use SLOT-2 SC Rumble to be used as a rumble pack.
- Display Chinese Name: displays in Chinese characters.
- Save Menu Option: saves your current settings to the global.ini file for future use.
- SuperKey: acts as a PASSME so you can boot a SLOT-2 card.
- AUTO Set SD Speed: runs a test program to determine microSD data speed.
- Enable Patch: allows you to Normal Read/Fast Read, SaveIN DS/SaveIN SD, Enable Reset and Enable Cheat
Option -
- ICO Modality: you can set how you want your icons to be displayed (big, small or text)
- File Sort: sort files by alphabetically or modified date
- Language: select your default language either English or Chinese to be displayed
- SD Speed: manually set the microSD card speed
- File Info: show or hide the information pop-up box that displays the ROM’s scene number, full name, save type & icon. This is displayed whenever you highlight a ROM.
- About: displays Moonshell info and credits
Help - basic informations on how to use Moonshell

I have only tested a hand full of ROM's and homebrews that I loaded on to the microSD, and they all loaded and saved without problems.

Conclusion : Overall, the SuperCard DS ONE SLOT-1 can compete with the R4DS and M3 Simply. What I like about the DS ONE is that I can do all my selecting on the touch screen rather than use the directional pad and buttons to do all my selecting and viewing on the top screen like the R4DS and M3 Simply. The price is slightly higher than that of the R4 or M3 Simply. They should of also atleast included a CD with some files..even if its not the latest version. You can purchase a 1GB for as low as $10! To find the best deals, visit our Online/Store Deals (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25935).

Please note that none of the "upgrade" products listed in this site are endorsed by Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft. DCEmu Reviews and DCEmu Network does not condone piracy. The primary functions of a "modchip" and/or "flashcart" are to allow you to play imported games and homebrew software that you legally own or simply just for experimenting with hardware. We in no way endorse piracy, and encourage all users to do the right thing and support the developers/manufacturers that support them. We do not take any responsibilities for any use outside of these parameters or where the use of such a device is illegal.

Images via comments

skipboris
April 12th, 2007, 09:45
maybe i missed it but i didnt see any ads for a $10 micro sd.

bandit
April 12th, 2007, 15:15
maybe i missed it but i didnt see any ads for a $10 micro sd.
Because those deals expired. You have to keep checking the sales thread to see.

blader600
April 12th, 2007, 21:15
Did the custom robo the US or any version of this rom work on the new Supercard One slot. Please respond and thank you a lot

bandit
April 12th, 2007, 21:25
Did the custom robo the US or any version of this rom work on the new Supercard One slot. Please respond and thank you a lot
I will find out tonight. I will edit this post with my result.

*edit*
Custom Robo Arena has been tested and works.

blader600
April 13th, 2007, 04:43
I will find out tonight. I will edit this post with my result.

*edit*
Custom Robo Arena has been tested and works.
thumbup:Thankkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk yyyyyyyyoooooooooooouuuuuuuuuu

Aprime
April 14th, 2007, 04:44
I don't know about the new one, but my girlfriend got a faulty (constantly freezes yet checkup software finds nothing wrong with it) Supercard DS One and it's off warranty (Go Kicktrading!).

bandit
April 14th, 2007, 16:42
I don't know about the new one, but my girlfriend got a faulty (constantly freezes yet checkup software finds nothing wrong with it) Supercard DS One and it's off warranty (Go Kicktrading!).
Could it be the game? Maybe you got a bad version.

reverendwhack
July 17th, 2007, 21:49
You mentioned that you can use the touchscreen for the filebrowser instead of of the d-pad & buttons... I just got mine & I don't have the option anywhere to do that...

Is there a setting for this?

bandit
July 17th, 2007, 22:15
You mentioned that you can use the touchscreen for the filebrowser instead of of the d-pad & buttons... I just got mine & I don't have the option anywhere to do that...

Is there a setting for this?
I didnt touch any settings. I just loaded the necessary files and popped in the SuperCard DS ONE into the DS.

reverendwhack
July 17th, 2007, 23:04
Nevermind, gogo self-reliance! It appears as though the version of the OS I loaded uses an old interface by default , by pressing L+A switches to the touch screen interface

XP_Master
January 17th, 2008, 03:41
hmm I may either buy the super card ds one or the DSTT...

sweep
January 18th, 2008, 13:13
Appologies if this is on the wrong post but it was the most relevent I could find.

I am wanting a slot-1 card for my 8year old daughters DS so she can use it as an mp3 and play video clips from DVD's she owns etc. As she is only 8 I would appreciate any advise on which is the simplest to use with icon driven menus as opposed to lines of code etc. It doesn'y matter too much about uploading the files as i can do it for her.
I know there are plenty types around besides the SuperCard (cyclops, m3, r4, xtreme, ttds) but which has the best user interface.

thanks ...sweep

bandit
January 18th, 2008, 14:58
Appologies if this is on the wrong post but it was the most relevent I could find.

I am wanting a slot-1 card for my 8year old daughters DS so she can use it as an mp3 and play video clips from DVD's she owns etc. As she is only 8 I would appreciate any advise on which is the simplest to use with icon driven menus as opposed to lines of code etc. It doesn'y matter too much about uploading the files as i can do it for her.
I know there are plenty types around besides the SuperCard (cyclops, m3, r4, xtreme, ttds) but which has the best user interface.

thanks ...sweep
They all have pretty much the same interface and are self explanatory with image of a music note or says MEDIA or something similiar

D00zers
April 12th, 2008, 04:48
I've tried a few of the slot 1 carts that use micro sd and found the new Edge DS to be the fastest and easiest to work with---only a bit fiddly getting the micro sd card out, but this is good as you won't lose it easily. Edge has no spring and the micro sd sticks out a tiny bit. Have to be careful with carts with springs as the spring sometimes breaks, or the micro sd might come flying out when accidentally tapped and get lost, or take out an eye if you're not careful---they're little and fly at such speed! My Supercard DS One doesn't feel as solid as M3 Simply or Edge, but it has more functions such as option for card speed and rumble programme already in. In my opinion, all of the slot 1 carts do pretty much the same job and are amazing. I haven't tried any homebrew games, so can't comment on how they work on the carts. Just try to get the cheapest by shopping around. Get an EZ Flash 3-in-1 expansion pak for slot 2 to go with your slot 1 for extra fun---as memory expansion for use with DS Browser, to add rumble to compatible games, and to play GBA games.

Squee168
April 19th, 2008, 01:47
i just got a supercard ds. But for some reason when i insert my micro sd into the slot and try to play it, it says no find SCFW.SC! i downloaded the newest os to my micro sd, so whats the problem?

CarbonQ
June 1st, 2008, 17:34
very new to all this and im a bit of a hoarder and was wondering if i could use this to save my games to my external hard drive and play them from the back ups thus keeping my cartridges in pristine condition. Is this possible?

Many thanks

CarbonQ

bandit
June 1st, 2008, 18:15
i just got a supercard ds. But for some reason when i insert my micro sd into the slot and try to play it, it says no find SCFW.SC! i downloaded the newest os to my micro sd, so whats the problem?
Where did you download OS from?

Try downloading from http://linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/

very new to all this and im a bit of a hoarder and was wondering if i could use this to save my games to my external hard drive and play them from the back ups thus keeping my cartridges in pristine condition. Is this possible?

Many thanks

CarbonQ
When playing your games on this cartridge, it makes a save file. I dont know what you mean by external harddrive but I assume playing from your computer? If so, I dont think you can. I never heard of anyone doing anything like that.

Also, FYI we do not condone piracy and only do it for testing/reviewing purposes.

CarbonQ
June 1st, 2008, 22:15
no, i mean can i put my zelda in to it and copy the game to a hard drive. i had 3 GBA games die on me meaning i had to buy them again and start from the beginning, until i brought a card that allowed me to save gba games to my pc. then if any died i could use the cart to play the save buy copying it off the pc. this is not piracy as i own the rights to a copy of the game ?(by buying it) annoyingly after i brought the cart i never had a cart die on me. so im just wondering if i can do the same with this cart.

bandit
June 1st, 2008, 23:57
Flash carts allow you to play homebrew and ROMs. It does not dump your retail games. It allows you to play games such as homebrew.

Fank
October 29th, 2008, 23:01
Hi, I'm wondering if you could tell me if browsing can be done with both the touch screen and the D-Pad.

And do ROMs need to be converted first in a PC program to have Super Mode functions like RESET?

And if not running Super Mode, where are the save games stored other than on the memory card?
("Super mode: support RESET, cheat code, save to flash memory card directly")

Cobra-King
December 24th, 2008, 18:15
Nice review