PDA

View Full Version : Wii Opera browser final version now available

bandit
April 12th, 2007, 04:45
If your Wii's blue LED is pulsating, thats because there is a new system update. The final version of the Wii Opera browser is now available to download.

Internet Channel

Now even more convenient to use!

The Internet Channel allows everyone to enjoy the Internet from their living room. We’ve just added some new features to make it even more convenient to use! Best of all, it’s still free!

New features include:

Faster start-up time!
Search button added!
Text is clear, even when enlarged
You can now hide the tool bar to see even more of the screen

It’s a great way to surf the Internet with family and friends, and allows you to experience the Internet in ways you never thought possible with your PC (on your TV!!)

To get this latest version of the Internet Channel, you’ll need to download it.

To download the Internet Channel:
First: Press the “Update” button at the bottom right, and update the Wii console.

Next: Select “Internet Channel from the Wii Ware section of the Wii Shop Channel. Download the new software and start surfing!

Please Note: You can download the Internet Channel for free until the end of June 2007.

Parents who want to control access to the Internet Channel should refer to the Parental Controls options available in the Wii System Settings. To access these settings, return to the Wii Menu and select the Wii icon.

Here is a list of what is new to the browser:

Parental Control support
Optional Internet content filter provided by Astaro (available soon)
Improved start-up speed
Clearer text when zoomed-in
Improved Wii Remote navigation
Improved scrolling and zooming
Built-in search via Yahoo! or Google
Option to hide Toolbar
New cursor animations and operation sounds
Ability to view page security information
Option to delete cookies
Built-in support manual

Source: Opera (http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2007/04/12/)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Full_Wii_Opera_Browser_released

Bonic
April 12th, 2007, 05:26
I'm in my happy place right now (AKA, using the update) Its great.

ICE
April 12th, 2007, 05:33
for some reason i can update but i cant do connect to do anything else!!! it justed started doing this right after i read this becuase i bought super mario world earlier today!!!!

EDIT: fixed it. browser rocks. get it now.

masterpaul
April 12th, 2007, 14:39
Em, they havnt upgraded the flash enough.

bandit
April 12th, 2007, 15:30
Here is a press release (also included link in first post)

* Today Opera Software and Nintendo released the much-anticipated full version of the Internet Channel, powered by the Opera browser. The Internet Channel can now be downloaded directly from the Wii Shop Channel on any connected Wii™ console.
* Nintendo and Opera have incorporated user feedback from the original version of the Internet Channel to create a faster, more functional and feature-rich Web experience on Wii that can be enjoyed by the entire family.
* The Opera-powered Internet Channel introduces a new living room activity for the family to share. For example, parents and kids can now actively research on the Web for school projects from the comfort of their couch, while using multiple remotes to point out interesting facts on the Web page.
* New features introduced in today’s release include: New type of zoom, more scrolling options, increased simplicity and ease-of-use, and the ability to turn the toolbar on or off (see a complete features overview below).
* This version of the browser remains a free download until June 30, 2007, and once downloaded is free for the lifetime of the system.

Discover the new Internet Channel features:
* Zoom – The Internet Channel features two types of zoom: manual and automatic. The automatic zoom was first introduced in the trial version and allows users to select a point with the remote and zoom into that point at an auto-detected level. Manual zoom now gives the user the option to zoom the entire page at self-determined intervals. Nintendo also introduces the "outline font" feature which prevents fonts from appearing blurred no matter the zoom level in use.
* Search – A search button has been added to the start page and to the browser toolbar. Choose between Yahoo! Search and Google as preselected search engines. Your selection can be changed at any time, or a different search engine can be used by typing the address of the search engine you wish to use.
* Scroll - To help users understand their scrolling motions, a new scrolling display guide has been added to the Internet Channel that indicates the direction and speed of the scroll. In addition to scrolling by pressing the B Button, users can also scroll by pressing the +Control Pad, for four-directional scrolling. This allows you to scroll the screen without having to point the remote at the TV.
* Ease of use – The Internet Channel now offers more user feedback when surfing. Users will encounter new sounds, animations and loading cursor graphics, creating a more complete browsing experience.
* Multiple cursors - The Internet Channel now displays the cursors of multiple Wii remotes. The primary Wii Remote can control actions on the screen, while the other Wii Remotes can point out interesting content.
* Hide the toolbar - Users are now given the option to display or hide the toolbar in the settings menu. Also, there are new advanced key presses for each toolbar function allowing users to surf with the toolbar off.
o B Button + Left Arrow = Search
o B Button + Right Arrow = Enter web address
o B Button + Up Arrow = Reload
o B Button + Down Arrow = Favorites
o B Button + (+) key = Page forward
o B Button + (-) key = Page backward
* Response time – The Internet Channel now sports improved performance and response time upon start up, when loading the favorites menu and in the toolbar.

Parental Controls
Parents who want to control access to the Internet Channel should refer to the Parental Controls options available in the Wii System Settings. To access these settings, return to the Wii Menu and select the Wii icon.

My Opera on Wii
Check out the My Opera Community while surfing on Wii. Already pre-set as a favorite in the Internet Channel favorites menu, simply select the "My Opera Community" icon and discover the first online community optimized for viewing on the TV.
Learn more about Opera for Nintendo products at www.opera.com/nintendo.