PDA

View Full Version : What will happen if I get a Japaneese psp?

AvengedSevenfold Fan
April 13th, 2007, 02:45
I live in the United States. What will happen if i buy a Japaneese psp? Will my warrenty still be good? Will my the plug be different? Will I still be able to play American UMDs? Will my camera still work? What will I have to do for official Sony updates? Pretty much tell me all the differences of having one. I plan on updating to 3.03 OE-C. (The psp is coming as a 1.5)

JKKDARK
April 13th, 2007, 02:48
The PSP is region free for the games, not the movies

ICE
April 13th, 2007, 03:25
dont the OE firmwares break the region blocks?

rehbock
April 13th, 2007, 06:17
hm i just heard one Person trying the Region break but it didnt work. :confused:

PrettyStupidPerson
April 13th, 2007, 06:40
u will turn japanesa

jonezybaby
April 13th, 2007, 10:44
dependin on the company u buy the psp from they might supply u with the right leads, umd movies are region coded, games arnt, everything else is fine!!
i have 2 japanese psp's and im in the uk, both came with the plugs i need.

PrettyStupidPerson
April 13th, 2007, 17:28
why would u buy a psp from japan... i live in the U.S but i didnt get mine from japan. is it different or better or...

AvengedSevenfold Fan
April 13th, 2007, 23:24
so the only thing ill have trouble with is umd movies? and cant i just use fake region with the oe firmwares? and what about official sony updates? like compiled data.dxar's? and what about my warrenty?

F9zDark
April 13th, 2007, 23:32
It will work fine. The plug works without a problem as does games. The only issue I have had with it is O for Accept and X for Cancel; gets rather annoying if your used to a US PSP.

jamotto
April 14th, 2007, 00:24
so the only thing ill have trouble with is umd movies? and cant i just use fake region with the oe firmwares? and what about official sony updates? like compiled data.dxar's? and what about my warrenty?

The fake region setting worked fine on my silver psp. I used the N.A. sony updates to install 3.10 oe on mine without any trouble. The warranty is not valid in the U.S.

gdf
April 14th, 2007, 00:44
yeah fake region got working ages ago after it failed first time round on 3.02 OE.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
April 14th, 2007, 02:17
It will work fine. The plug works without a problem as does games. The only issue I have had with it is O for Accept and X for Cancel; gets rather annoying if your used to a US PSP.

I didnt know that O and X were swapped. Is this for games also, or just the XMB and menus? And cant I just use the swap registry hack thing in the OE recovery menu?

Will the psp act as a U.S. psp if i install custom fw? Can you install U.S. fw on a Japaneese psp?

F9zDark
April 14th, 2007, 06:50
I didnt know that O and X were swapped. Is this for games also, or just the XMB and menus? And cant I just use the swap registry hack thing in the OE recovery menu?

Will the psp act as a U.S. psp if i install custom fw? Can you install U.S. fw on a Japaneese psp?

Yes you can, but when I first updated my 1.0 PSP to 1.5 (downgraded back to 1.0 after a few months) O and X were not swapped, so installing a US firmware made no difference.

Custom firmware might change that, but there is a swapper that exists.

http://www.psp-hacks.com/2005/09/27/button-x-and-o-swapper-for-jp-psp-20/

There is one, but its for 2.0 PSPs apparently. Here is one for 1.5 JP PSP:

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=4348

Hope this helps you. If you swap the buttons then install Custom Firmware it should retain the swapped buttons.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
April 15th, 2007, 03:31
does the x o swap apply for games too, o just the xmb?

Wally
April 15th, 2007, 04:56
I live in the United States. What will happen if i buy a Japaneese psp? Will my warrenty still be good? Will my the plug be different? Will I still be able to play American UMDs? Will my camera still work? What will I have to do for official Sony updates? Pretty much tell me all the differences of having one. I plan on updating to 3.03 OE-C. (The psp is coming as a 1.5)

The world will fold in and collapse, We will never find the holy grail...

JK

Answering ur questions:
Nithing, No, Yes (Just use a US plug or somethin), yes, yes, same,

xg917
April 15th, 2007, 06:45
X and O buttons can be swapped in the recovery menu through the registry hacks option. and i think it is only for the XMB, not games. the buttons are normal for games depending what region you buy your game from, if america, then X should be the selecting button for the game

F9zDark
April 16th, 2007, 00:53
The world will fold in and collapse, We will never find the holy grail...

JK

Answering ur questions:
Nithing, No, Yes (Just use a US plug or somethin), yes, yes, same,

The plug from Japan is the same plug as from the US. I bought a Japanese 1.0 PSP and it had the same plug as its US counterpart. Maybe the shop I bought it from put in a US plug knowing that I was from the US, but I find that unlikely.

To OP:

I think its only in the XMB.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
April 16th, 2007, 03:54
Thanks for helping guys. You told me everything i need to know +Rep to everyone who helped.

jonezybaby
April 16th, 2007, 17:26
X and O are apart of the registry, to swop them back u have 2 edit sumet in the registry. Japanese UMD Movies have the same region and europe, american movies will not work, i havent tryed the region thing as i only have european movies but most ppl think it works so ill go with ur fine there! if u get a downgradeable psp and upgrade to DAX 3.02 OE or higher u can get into the recovery menu and swop them back that way. anything else just ask!

AvengedSevenfold Fan
April 16th, 2007, 20:36
but if i update to an OE, will the X and O still be swapped? y would they?

JKKDARK
April 16th, 2007, 23:44
but if i update to an OE, will the X and O still be swapped? y would they?

I heard your psp can brick

TeenDev
April 16th, 2007, 23:47
What will happen if i buy a Japaneese psp?

you will be shunned by SOny USA and they will cut your balls off:eek:

DeeDub
April 19th, 2007, 06:55
I bought a Japanese PSP (I live in Australia). I've upgraded it to 3.30 OE and it works great. The power cable doesn't work here (but the power supply does, I just had to switch the cable). The X and O thing isn't an issue, I just tried it and was able to swap them in the recovery mode. :)

*EDIT* Also thought I should add that the O and X switching also applies to games... Tested with Burnout Dominator and confirm in the game has been switched to X. :)

AvengedSevenfold Fan
April 20th, 2007, 21:14
ok good, cuz i ordered my blue 1.5 two days ago :)

ajvctrindade
April 29th, 2007, 13:35
Hi,

I also have a Japonese Version of a White PSP 1.5 with 3.10 oe-a.

I would like to know if there is a way to run UMD Video from region 2. :confused:

Thanks in advanced,

ajvctrindade

AvengedSevenfold Fan
April 30th, 2007, 00:11
go into recovery mode, (fully power off psp and turn on while holding r) go into configuration, then go to region and toggle to which ever you want.

ajvctrindade
May 1st, 2007, 10:05
Hi,

I'm Sorry, I forgot to say: I already tried all combination "Fake Region" and "Free UMD Region".

Thanks,

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 3rd, 2007, 21:38
that should fix it. what country would "region 2" be? just set it to that country