PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk DS firmware

Mr_Biggs
April 13th, 2007, 22:32
hey all, ive been wondering how much space is reserved in the DS for firmware. I plan to make an alternative firmware sometime in the future, and would like to know what size limitations there are. I have no idea about software limitations of the firmware, so i'm just gonna rattle off features.

the firmware i have in mind would have not only pictochat intergrated, but also some type of online messenger, preferrably MSN messenger. and if it's possible, it would use flashcarts as storage devices, meaning you can boot games right from the startup screen of your DS. While im asking, how much space is reserved for DS downloads?

I dont have any programming knowledge, but if i find that the messenger function is possible, then i will learn my ass in an instant.

What other features would be desired?

DanTheManMS
April 13th, 2007, 23:00
Uh, if you have no programming experience, I don't think a firmware hack would be a very easy task to start with, especially not one that's got several different sections that may or may not be encrypted with an unknown encryption.

Regardless, search the GBAdev forums a bit, as the firmware has been brought up there from time to time. You could also talk to Creebo, the creator of CreeboMe, and the creators of FWNitro to see if they could help you with your hack.

Mr_Biggs
April 14th, 2007, 02:27
thanks mr. man, completly forgot about GBAdev. i dont plan on diving headfirst into making this firmware, i'd have to start out small with things like games and apps.