PDA

View Full Version : Datel Games n' Music Question

Jake11611
April 14th, 2007, 22:11
I'm new to homebrew DS games, but I've already heard of how horrible Datel is from these forums. I was wondering how the Games N' Music works with homebrew games.

pulito
April 14th, 2007, 22:27
It works good with some homebrew games. It is the only card that I have used, so I don't have experience and I don't know how other flashcards work. I'm waiting for the famous dldi for GNM to be invented some day, so that I can play all the homebrew games and cool ds applications.

DanTheManMS
April 14th, 2007, 22:28
Don't get it. Only games that do not require filesystem access will work, since no DLDI file has been created for the device. Unrecommended.

The only Datel products I'd recommend are the Max Media Launcher since it's a NoPass device that works on nearly all slot-2 devices and the Action Replay DS, which can function as a NoPass device if you hold Select upon bootup.

Jake11611
April 14th, 2007, 23:17
How would I use the Action Replay to play homebrew games?

DanTheManMS
April 14th, 2007, 23:56
You don't. You use it to boot a slot-2 device that has the homebrew games on it.

Jake11611
April 15th, 2007, 00:36
I see, and you said that no DLDI file has been created for the Games N' Music. Is there any chance that someone will write one?

DanTheManMS
April 15th, 2007, 03:36
There's a chance, yes, but the guys at GBAdev have been unsuccessful so far.

crowseed
May 23rd, 2007, 10:21
The Games n Music is great for simple homebrew games - basically anything you can play without having to save. It's also fantastic for video - all my videos have converted perfectly and look and sound great. The music player is really good as well - once one track's finished it goes onto the next. The only problem is that it doesn't seem to want to take a 1GB microSD, even when you format it as FAT. If someone has got a larger card working with the Games n Music, let us know!

LeprechaunIV
May 31st, 2007, 01:44
How do you convert google vids to the d3v format?

DanTheManMS
May 31st, 2007, 04:41
You'd probably want to use a tool called "gvi2avi" on the video (save it as a different file name or it will complain that the file is already being used), and then use whatever conversion software comes with the GnM

sasukeremix
June 4th, 2007, 01:07
can u use roms like jump super star cause it gives me a black screen

DanTheManMS
June 4th, 2007, 01:55
Commercial games will not run on the GnM.

Claxus
June 28th, 2007, 21:10
This sucks...

I also got this as my first homebrew game thing, and can barely play anything that's out there...

Plus, I can't rewind/forward videos... And I can't even use MoonShell...

--I don't really mind not being able to play games and such on it, but I got it mostly for MP3s and videos, but the videos aren't that fun to watch when you're forced to watch the whole thing, like, what if you miss a part...?

So I ask, is there some sort of add-on/app. that would allow me to rewind/forward(playback, is it called?) videos? Thanks in advance. (That works on Games n Music, of course.)

DanTheManMS
June 29th, 2007, 00:15
That's why it's important to do research before impulsively buying a product.

choche1562
September 18th, 2007, 00:38
can some one help me i cant see no pictures or videos wat do i have to do?

crowseed
September 18th, 2007, 17:38
You need to encode some video using the software on the CD then transfer it to the video folder on the \games n Music. It's dead simple.

elios_kenni
September 18th, 2007, 20:39
I bought this game and watch yesterday. And I've been downloading homebrew games to play on it besides the crappy ones that come with it. But after putting some games on it and putting the card reader back into my USB drive on my computer. My computer won't read it. Anyone know why ? Please help.

Sonny_Jim
September 18th, 2007, 20:49
Sorry to echo previous posts but the Datel GnM isn't very well supported at all, which is annoying as it seems to be the most easily available homebrew device for the DS. The only thing you can do is complain to Datel themselves to work with the homebrew community to improve compatibility.

This is highly unlikely to happen as it wouldn't surprise me at all if the GnM was just ripped off another design.

crowseed
September 19th, 2007, 15:11
Chances are one of the homebrews corrupted the card. Don't try using homebrew on GnM that writes to the file system, as it'll become corrupt. You could try formatting the microsd (as FAT), then just create 3 folders, games, music and video. Should then work fine.

elios_kenni
September 20th, 2007, 21:28
Chances are one of the homebrews corrupted the card. Don't try using homebrew on GnM that writes to the file system, as it'll become corrupt. You could try formatting the microsd (as FAT), then just create 3 folders, games, music and video. Should then work fine.

Alright now how would I go about formating it? And in FAT format? and remind you that my computer doesn't even recognize it. when I go to my computer it says there isn't anything there.

crowseed
September 21st, 2007, 12:22
It should still set up a drive letter, even if it doesn't read the card. If it's not setting up a drive letter then check the microsd is pushed in correctly and the USB connection is pushed in correctly etc.

elios_kenni
September 21st, 2007, 19:23
It should still set up a drive letter, even if it doesn't read the card. If it's not setting up a drive letter then check the microsd is pushed in correctly and the USB connection is pushed in correctly etc.

It's not setting up a drive, it's not doing anything actually. The green light, lights up when I stick the usb drive in with the microsd but if I put it in without the microsd it doesn't. It's not setting a drive letter. I double click removible disc and it says to please insert one. But if I right click it and go to properties and then the tab Tools. And click defragment it has my C:/ drive on it and something else called Unmounted Volume, I've defragged the unmounted Volume and I read the files in it and it's my microsd card. But I can't access it or format it by right clicking or anything >< Any ideas? Oh and if I put the microsd into my DS I can still play all the games in it.

Breffix
September 23rd, 2007, 10:50
There is totally a DLDI written for GnM. (http://dldi.drunkencoders.com/index.php?title=Datel_Games_%27n%27_Music_%28micro SD%29) I've gotten almost all the homebrew software to work with it including emulators & Moonshell. Try version 2 if you got the Datel Games n' Music recently. In defense of the GnM, it's no NinjaDS, but for 20 bucks it's well worth what you get. Also, the Wikipedia entry for Nintendo DS Homebrew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_Homebrew) is incredibly helpful for starters.

crowseed
September 23rd, 2007, 22:16
It's not setting up a drive, it's not doing anything actually. The green light, lights up when I stick the usb drive in with the microsd but if I put it in without the microsd it doesn't. It's not setting a drive letter. I double click removible disc and it says to please insert one. But if I right click it and go to properties and then the tab Tools. And click defragment it has my C:/ drive on it and something else called Unmounted Volume, I've defragged the unmounted Volume and I read the files in it and it's my microsd card. But I can't access it or format it by right clicking or anything >< Any ideas? Oh and if I put the microsd into my DS I can still play all the games in it.

Try reinstalling the driver. If the card had become corrupt then it wouldnt work on the DS. Hope it works for you.

crowseed
September 23rd, 2007, 22:18
Breffix thanks for that - I didnt know it had DLDI now. Will check it out.

Jeric
May 22nd, 2009, 19:49
Thread Necromancy, but I figure it better than starting a new thread on this lamentably lame card from datel. Does anyone know if it'll work with the DSi? I've leafed through different lists of cards tested wit the thing and datel isn't one of 'em. I honestly doubt it will work, but I figure I may as well ask anyway since its unable to play commercial roms.

MinDS
May 23rd, 2009, 16:53
Don't get it. Only games that do not require filesystem access will work, since no DLDI file has been created for the device. Unrecommended.

The only Datel products I'd recommend are the Max Media Launcher since it's a NoPass device that works on nearly all slot-2 devices and the Action Replay DS, which can function as a NoPass device if you hold Select upon bootup.

there is a DLDI for the games n music cos i have a GnM and use that DLDI

DanTheManMS
May 28th, 2009, 06:42
Did you even look at the date of the quote you were posting? Back in 2007, there was no DLDI file for the GnM. Obviously Chishm was successful in developing one sometime in the 2 years since I said that.

And Jeric, I highly highly doubt it'll work on the DSi. All the DSi-compatible carts have required new hardware versions in order to work.