PDA

View Full Version : Goldeneye: Source port for Dreamcast. Possibility?

MrTeressaBond
April 17th, 2007, 12:09
i had an idea if it was possible for a online game remake of the ever brilliant Goldeneye64 Goldeneye: Source port for Dreamcast?

i know its not yet completed and its in its BETA stage, and not to forget to mention that the specs for it are way higher for the Dreamcast to handle, but also wondering if it is possible to dumb it down to the full pwer that the Dreamcast console can handle.

it would be a very interesting if this could ever happen and what aspects this could spark as well too.

its a mod of Half Life 2 just to let people know, and i assume anyone can make adjustments to it also.

i am willing to learn anything that could help make this happen and even a better product as well, like i really want to know how to model with 3DS Max and make photorealistic models as well with characters. even redo the engine to make it run on the Unreal Engine as well.

please share your thoughts and so we could all know if this is possible.

thanks.

Hawq
April 17th, 2007, 18:27
Unless someone made a version that ran on an engine used by a DC shooter, HL having not been released that would be extremely dodgy of course, such as the Quake engine or something its not really feasable. To do it for another engine would mean starting from scratch really I suspect, it wouldnt be quite GE source but it may be a GE mod for something if its possible, theres a GE mod for Doom I think that probably works with a DC Doom for example (though that is going a bit further back of course)

MrTeressaBond
April 17th, 2007, 18:57
well, i can quite understsnd what you mean, but since it is a source and hte Unreal Engine itself it quite flexible, i just thought it maybe something that can be done.

other apart from that, just using its original source, could it be possible for it to run on the Dreamcast (even as i mentioned for the graphics to be dumbed down abit) to its full power on the console?

Hawq
April 20th, 2007, 18:44
Felxible the UT engine may be but Goldeneye Source would need rewriting from scratch to run on it being a HL2 mod. A large amount of work that I doubt anyone would take on for a 'dead' system.

MrTeressaBond
April 21st, 2007, 14:22
its not a dead system, its alive and well very much, even SEGA knows that, just they are not doing anything yet for it. just waiting for hteir next console to come out and htus i had created a thread on campaigning to bring sega back with a console, even if i have to go out and build one.

back on to GE: Source, okay, probably lets not for now make it run on the Unreal Engine, keep it as it is as it seems very good for now.

from then, would it be possible then to have it ported to the Dreamcast?

Hawq
April 21st, 2007, 16:36
Commercially dead & dead in the eyes of most of the world I meant, and with Sega stopping GDrom production recently that doesnt help much.

gdf
April 21st, 2007, 22:49
yeah i would say it is "dead".

sega have moved on methinks. it is unlikely they will re-enter the console market soon, they seem to be doing pretty well just as a publisher/developer and hey they might as well share the love, it's not like they would gain much for having their own system. a joint system venture with nintendo or someone, now THAT would rock.

MrTeressaBond
April 21st, 2007, 23:25
no it wouldnt, cause SEGA has their own style of games and gameplay which is purely unique, and that would be mayhem if it ever was to join together.

even though u said its dead, why does this forum exists?

also, there are sooo many people still working on stuff for the dreamcast and they are still making small games as well like Last Hope, a recent one.

and im asking if it is possible to port such a game to/for the console? of course as i mentioned, i will have to be dumbed down, but only to the limit where it will use the full power of the console.

possibility now?

|darc|
April 21st, 2007, 23:41
It should definitely be possible. I'm working on a Gears of War port to Dreamcast, with Xbox Live support.

MrTeressaBond
April 24th, 2007, 02:44
i see.

excellent, at least now i have an answer knowing for sure that it can be done.

may i ask, what is needed to be done and with what? and sicne u are working on a port yourself, what do u use? or what do u do?

Elven6
April 24th, 2007, 03:57
If you haven't noticed he is screwin with ya

MrTeressaBond
April 30th, 2007, 16:36
so...is it possible or not may i ask?

BlueCrab
April 30th, 2007, 21:37
Without rewriting the whole thing from scratch (at which point, it wouldn't exactly be a port, so we'll exclude it from the discussion), no its not possible.

Elven6
April 30th, 2007, 22:21
unless those good engines are done getting ported you will have to wait, the last time any of them made progress was like 2004.

MrTeressaBond
May 4th, 2007, 15:19
wrong, the last time they made any progress was just on boxing day when they released a Beta version of the game.

and its been mentioned that there was other mods of it, like a single player mod (as it is a multiplayer game made).

so, just knowing that now, and not including replacing the engine, is it possible whatsoever for it to being ported?

and not to forget to mention, not exactly as it is (graphics wise), i did mention just for it to be dumbed down for it to run properly on hte console.

possible now?

yaustar
May 4th, 2007, 19:00
wrong, the last time they made any progress was just on boxing day when they released a Beta version of the game.

and its been mentioned that there was other mods of it, like a single player mod (as it is a multiplayer game made).

so, just knowing that now, and not including replacing the engine, is it possible whatsoever for it to being ported?

and not to forget to mention, not exactly as it is (graphics wise), i did mention just for it to be dumbed down for it to run properly on hte console.

possible now?
No. The engine cannot be ported because it is closed source. Using another engine means that it becomes a clone, not a port which goes back to what BlueCrab said. Because the mod relies on the Source engine, you cannot just port the mod to another engine meaning you have to rewrite the entire thing.

MrTeressaBond
May 4th, 2007, 23:29
i dont believe that the Source Engine is a close source, and i would like to forget about the whole changing the engine thing.

Source Engine, i assume is available, so i dont think it is a close source cause other people were able to mod it and so on.

yaustar
May 5th, 2007, 01:15
The engine is closed source in the same why people can make DirectX games using the DirectX SDK library which is closed source. There is an SDK that allows someone to develop using the Source engine but there is no source for the engine to port.

All the mods are bits of code (some of the base code is from the Source SDK) that runs on TOP of the Source engine.

MrTeressaBond
May 5th, 2007, 23:43
so the game can be ported, but the only thing that is stopping that is the game's engine?

Bobablob
May 6th, 2007, 05:18
That's correct. All that's stopping it, or any other Half-Life 2 modification from running beautifully on your Dreamcast is that the Source Engine hasn't been ported to the Dreamcast.

Yet.

More like ever.

MrTeressaBond
May 6th, 2007, 13:59
ahhh now i get it.

so what is it exactly needs to be done or what is needed to make this possible?

do you need the actual Source Engine?

yaustar
May 6th, 2007, 14:02
Contact Valve and ask for the Source Engine source code. Will they give it to you? No.

To be extremely blunt since you are not getting the hint, this will not happen, period.

Even offically, this will not happen. Valve will not even port their own engine to the Dreamcast since they will not support a dead console.

Elven6
May 13th, 2007, 00:03
http://goldeneye.newdoom.com/download.shtml theirs something.

SSaxdude
May 13th, 2007, 01:39
Half Life isn't even open port.

Elven6
May 13th, 2007, 20:21
Thats Doom

R4mb0
May 18th, 2007, 17:37
G.E Source on DC. is impossible but G.E half life1 or quake1 mod insīt.

Cast128dreams
May 28th, 2007, 13:27
So finally Goldeneye will never run in the Dreamcast console,right?
Half-life 2 on Dreamcast?Same things,right?