PDA

View Full Version : Playing Proper DC games in Chankast Possible?

Vixtro
April 19th, 2007, 17:34
I been trying to play my authentic Dreamcast games in Chankast but all I ever get in the BIOS is "Please insert game disk.".

Now I know there is probably a way to rip the games from the disks but that is illegal and I know it's not to be talked about here so thats not an option I'm willing to take just yet. I could go through all the hassle and time of downloading each game I want to play on the emulator but that would take ages and finding the same region games etc. would make it even longer!

So is there anyway to make Chankast read real games?

BlueCrab
April 19th, 2007, 21:30
No, you can't make Chankast read original discs. GD-ROMs can't be read by normal Computer CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drives.

Also, ripping your own discs isn't illegal as far as I know, downloading them off the internet is. Unfortunately dumping your own games requires some hardware that I doubt you have unless you've been doing Dreamcast development.

JKKDARK
April 19th, 2007, 23:23
I think rip GD-ROMs is illegal because these discs have copy protection

UltimaDude
April 22nd, 2007, 20:14
I think your only resort is to download the game and play it on Chankast or NullDC.

Oh and isn't it legal if you own the game?

JKKDARK
April 22nd, 2007, 20:24
I think your only resort is to download the game and play it on Chankast or NullDC.

Download games, even if you own the original disc/cartridge, is illegal

SSaxdude
April 23rd, 2007, 01:22

But it's not like the cops are gonna hunt you down or anything.

JKKDARK
April 23rd, 2007, 01:33
But it's not like the cops are gonna hunt you down or anything.

Of course, but emulation is legal. If DCEmu start to allow piracy, more and more people will thnk emulation is piracy and illegal.

Xiaopang
May 1st, 2007, 00:53
I think rip GD-ROMs is illegal because these discs have copy protection

yeah, but only according to german law...in other parts of the world copyright laws are different

thats true for germany...again...other countries allow personal copies according to fair use policies even if the source is copyrighted. this might also apply for downloaded copies if the source has copyprotection you can't overcome

Of course, but emulation is legal. If DCEmu start to allow piracy, more and more people will thnk emulation is piracy and illegal.

lol i doubt that gamers are so naive that the only thing to hinder them thinking about emulation as piracy would be to forbid discussion about it. people who mix that up, generally don't know squat about either thing. not talking about it won't help them see the difference

Cap'n 1time
May 1st, 2007, 02:14

Unless it is YOUR OWN RIP it is illegal in most countries including the US and England. Even if you own the game, Dling someone elses rip of that game is still illegal.

In other words, if you own a copy of game A, and decide to download someones back up of game A, then its still illegal. If you use hardware to make a backup of game A on your hardrive, and dont distribute it, then its generally perfectly legal.