PDA

View Full Version : Playing NTSC games at 60hz on PAL console?

skirpy
April 21st, 2007, 11:12
Hello,

I used to own a Japanese DC and all my games are either US or JP but my console died and have just bought a PAL console.

All the NTSC games play at 50hz now......is there any tool to force 60hz on my NTSC games?

Thanks for any help!

Christuserloeser
April 21st, 2007, 22:26
You could take your Japanese Dreamcast apart and replace the broken parts with the working ones from your PAL Dreamcast ;)

Edit - ...well, this method obviously depends on what's broken. The motherboard should be the Japanese one, everything else (including the AC adaptor) can be taken from the European PAL one.

Edit2 - SWAT's fantastic Region Changer v1.5 (http://dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=89863) should also be worth a look, though personally I would recommend to try to repair your Japanese Dreamcast at first.

beetroot bertie
April 22nd, 2007, 13:59
I think the DC-X disc would do the job too. It has an option screen prior to the disc swap that lets you change the TV mode. It works fine with the 8 Japanese games I have. I assume they're running at 6oHz anyway. There are no black borders which seem to appear at 50Hz.

skirpy
April 22nd, 2007, 16:48
Thanks for the replies!

The Japanese DC has been thrown out so i will try this region changer.

Cheers!

Dull Blade
April 22nd, 2007, 19:28
Now i cant remeber where i saw this, but I think there is a free and legal downloadable gameshark for the dreamcast. So here's what you can do to play imorts. Insert the gameshark, boot up. select start game with/out codes. pop in the import and and start the game up. I play british imports on my american DC all the time.

BTW. I own an original game shark

JKKDARK
April 22nd, 2007, 19:36
yeah, Dull Blade is right, you can use the gameshark.
Another good boot disc is the utopia disc, google it and download it ;)

beetroot bertie
April 23rd, 2007, 13:11
There's some links in similar threads. In this one there's a link to the CD-X Demo that you can download and also to the place where I bought my DC-X disc (which is a different product to the CD-X).

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36107&highlight=CD-X

Masta-G
April 23rd, 2007, 13:26
Used to have the same problem with the japanese games I bought from lik-sang (shame sony closed it).
The games could be booted by the utopia bootdisc (the reindeer thing), so the disc wasnt just for piracy only:P.
Untill someone on these forums (forgot his name) sold me a few of those pre-wired modchips, both of my dc consoles are universal now:)
So no more disc-swapping:D

cornyearth
May 19th, 2007, 09:25
hi i have bought a NTSC game from over seas not knowing that it wouldent play on my xbox pal console, i dont have the money to get it chiped yet and the game isent available in pal, how can i play the ntsc game and what do i have to do?

JKKDARK
May 19th, 2007, 13:30
hi i have bought a NTSC game from over seas not knowing that it wouldent play on my xbox pal console, i dont have the money to get it chiped yet and the game isent available in pal, how can i play the ntsc game and what do i have to do?

Sadly there are not swap discs for Xbox. You will need a mod chip.

Darksaviour69
May 19th, 2007, 14:23
there is a soft-mod for xbox, check xbox-scene.com for more info

cornyearth
May 20th, 2007, 10:15
thanks a lot u guys for your help, i guess i will just save up to get a mod chip, thanks again.

Darksaviour69
May 20th, 2007, 14:52
thanks a lot u guys for your help, i guess i will just save up to get a mod chip, thanks again.

you don't need a mod chip, there is a soft-mod for the xbox (software crack). check xbox-scene.com for more info