PDA

View Full Version : Question about original Playstation/PSOne hardware plus PS1 problems on PS2/3

Game_Collector
April 21st, 2007, 12:33
I am going to Japan soon and I was thinking of picking up a used PSOne while I am there because I am having problems with playing PS1 games on my PS2 and PS3 on my HDTV.

First, the Playstation/PSOne hardware question. Do either of these systems output a component signal? I am guessing that the original does not but I thought that surely the PSOne would have component output but would like to check to make sure.

The PS3 problem is that the games look horrible and pixelated, much worse than my PC Engine DUO-RX, Wondermega and Super Famicom combined! I am sure it is due to scalling problems with the TV but I have no idea how to change the seting of the screen as the website and manual are no help what-so-ever (it's an LG 720p/1080i HDTV).

I have a modded PAL PS2 which is around the 5000 series. The PS2 problem is that through the A/V cord, the PAL games look horrible and the TV will not switch to NTSC mode for NTSC games but very annoyingly, will show a NTSC picture if you do picture-in-picture but only the small picture will display in NTSC! I bought a component cable thinking it would help the situation (apart from wanting to improve the PS2's picture on the HDTV) and it is actually worse! Through the component cable, PAL games will show the PS1 logo and the maker logo (such as Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, ATLUS, Squaresoft etc) but as soon as it gets to the game, the screen goes blank and says "no signal" but there is sound. With an NTSC game, there is no picture at any point and again it just flashes the "no signal" logo around the screen.

I was told on a different site that I have a rare problem with my PS2 and it can't output a component signal but I wasn't so sure. I tried it on a different TV and worked perfectly and I also tried a family member's newer PS2 (original) and it was the same (although I could only test with PAL games).

I emailed sony here in Australia and they were worse than useless so I am thinking buying a Japanese PS system is the only way to fix my problem which I don't mind as they are dirt cheap.