PDA

View Full Version : Veteran turned Noob Q's for 3.40 OE

x999x
April 21st, 2007, 21:50
Howdy, I have returned from a great slumber and have come to see my saavy with the PSP has been seriously outdated. I've recently updated to 3.10 OE and thought I was finally "back in action" but now there's 3.30 and 3.40 OEs... :eek:

So do I really need to update and stay current? The only thing I'm doing with my PSP is Homebrew and PoPsing my old PS1 games I bought back in the day.

The only retail game I have is RidgeRacers (still love it), and I'm thinking about picking up Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins if my local gameshop can ever hold a used one long enough for me to nab. So if all this 3.XX stuff is for playing retail games, will I be cool with pickup on UGnG or will it autoupdate my system like MegaMan Powered up tried to? Lol i was in 1.50 during that heart-attack.

Anyway, sorry for all the questions, but I can't think of a better place to ask. My brain is fried :confused:

Triv1um
April 21st, 2007, 22:35
The only thing different from 3.10 oe-a is popstation is better in 3.30-40.

not a lot of difference really.

x999x
April 21st, 2007, 23:37
Interesting, what's better? Speed, compatibility? Now it looks like I've got good reason to upgrade, argh the nervousness about bricking this :T

Triv1um
April 22nd, 2007, 00:18
Yes, speed and comatability are both the improvements. a few more features like reset are added to the pops too.

Cloudhunter
April 22nd, 2007, 00:30
Also, you can now autoboot eboots from /PSP/GAME/BOOT in 3.40OE-A :)

Cloudy

SpooForBrains
April 22nd, 2007, 14:43
Don't worry too much about bricking. As long as you take sensible precautions, updating to the OE custom firmwares is no more risky than running an official Sony update. Sensible precautions, for me, are:

1. Don't use cheap memory sticks. If you have a reasonable suspicion that your memory stick is a fake, then you have a higher risk of brickage (if it gives up the ghost halfway through installation)

2. do an md5sum of the data.dxar and check it against the one given in the readme before running the update. This checks that the file has been properly generated.

3. have a fully charged battery, your PSP plugged in, and no UMD in the drive.

I have no idea why the UMD thing is important, but I've heard a few people mention it, so I tend to follow it. To be honest if someone told me to do it with my left index finger touching my nose to discharge any possible static electricity I'd probably do that too since I can't afford to replace a brick.

Triv1um
April 22nd, 2007, 14:52
1. Don't use cheap memory sticks. If you have a reasonable suspicion that your memory stick is a fake, then you have a higher risk of brickage (if it gives up the ghost halfway through installation)

This is a VERY important one.. Ive heard of a few bricks from fakes.. Be careful

2. do an md5sum of the data.dxar and check it against the one given in the readme before running the update. This checks that the file has been properly generated.

The flasher actually checks this, but it never hurts to check :)

---

Like spooForBrains said, do it right and you wont brick.

SpooForBrains
April 22nd, 2007, 15:31
Triv1um, just noticed your location. We're probably down the road from each other, heh. (I live in Erdington).

x999x
April 22nd, 2007, 18:39
Wow, thanks for the awesome post guys, that really gave me a fresh wave of confidence, and a schooling at the same time :)

I've got a Sandisk memstick, I couldn't resist the price, but I bought it at a walk-in Fry's Electronics, and I'm certain they don't peddle shady goods. This begs the question, have you heard any horror stories about Sandisk? lol

Thanks again!

Napalm-Death
April 22nd, 2007, 19:26
My 4GB Sandisk somehow died about two weeks ago, without warning. I dunno what happened there, I just wanted to put something on the MS and it wouldn't work, then when I looked at my PSP, the memory stick light wouldn't stop blinking.

Sonicboy 101
April 22nd, 2007, 19:39
My 4GB Sandisk came today, I formatted it and put stuff on it and it works fine.
If it says magicgate is supported, does that mean it's real?

SpooForBrains
April 22nd, 2007, 21:34
My 4GB Sandisk somehow died about two weeks ago, without warning. I dunno what happened there, I just wanted to put something on the MS and it wouldn't work, then when I looked at my PSP, the memory stick light wouldn't stop blinking.

I had the same thing happen to my 2GB Sony. The chances are your file system is corrupted. The easiest way to get around this is to format it again. If you have data on there you can't lose, then you can use a file system repair tool (like fsck on Linux or chkdisk on Windows) to repair it.

And x999x, Sandisk memory sticks are fine.

Sonicboy 101: yes, that's usually an indication that the memory stick is genuine.

x999x
April 25th, 2007, 01:51
Thanks again folks!

I still haven't updated yet, lol. I'm waitin' just a wee bit longer to see if anything else develops on this front that might make me second guess :P

On the subject of memory sticks, I was thinking of going larger than 2gigs so I can throw some vids using the newer (new for me) codecs the PSP sports. Now, what's the deal with Ebay selling 4gig SONY mem sticks for 20 bux?

Those are fakes right? I had to buy Sandisk because I couldn't afford another mortgage on the house buying a Sony branded memstick at Fry's. I mean is that just too good to be true?

Now let's say they are fake, do they at least work? I mean if I can use my sandisk for flashing, and load a handful of beautiful HD vids on the fake stick I'd just be gambling with the integrity of my data and not my PSP's lively hood right?

Hah, thanks again folks!