PDA

View Full Version : New NDS lite owner...help....

thedonz
April 22nd, 2007, 12:43
Hi all,

I have just bought my daughter a pink one and as I am completely new to handhelds I thought I'd come and ask you lot for some assistance.

1) Which is the easiest way to get games onto her DS i.e. can I get a card with some form of memory that will plug in the normal slot and play a game that I have copied onto it?

2) Do I need any cables, leads or other equipment to flash it?

3) What should I be paying?

Any advice or directions appreciated

DanTheManMS
April 23rd, 2007, 01:16
First off, I'd like to remind you that we don't talk about pirating games on DCEmu. That said, let's begin.

There are many different types of devices that can be used, which makes it hard for new users to get started. The first major distinction is whether to get a slot-1 device or slot-2 device. Are you at all interested in the following areas?
1. ability to run GBA files
2. DSLinux usability without crashing too often
3. Usage of SnezziDS, one of the three SNES emulators for the DS

If so, then a slot-2 device may be best for you. If not, then a slot-1 device would be easier to operate. Most homebrew nowadays uses the DLDI system for filesystem access, so the homebrew compatibility for slot-1 devices isn't as bad as it used to be.

Most devices use some form of CF or SD to load the binaries onto. Slot-2 devices can use CF, SD, miniSD (fits flush within DS Phat), and microSD (sits flush within DS Lite), while most slot-1 devices use solely microSD. You'll need a cheap card reader for your PC in order to transfer files to and from your card.

Price can vary. Cheap slot-2 devices can run from $40 on up (plus you need a NoPass device in order to boot from the GBA slot in DS mode, adding an extra $20 or so), while slot-1 devices can be as cheap as $30 if you shop around a bit.

Ryuk and apples
April 24th, 2007, 01:02
To answer the question.. I would go for Max Media dock for lite, and download the program "Max Overdrive". Note that I am not supporting piracy, as I know nothing of what you are doing. Anyways, you will be able to run home brew and ROM backups through those things.
Max Media Dock can be found at Best buy, thats why I prefer it more than buying a super pass online and flashing my lite. (if thats even possible to flash a lite.)
MMD is mainly for MP3 and home brew, however since it can launch home brew programs... Hello Max overdrive.
Go Google Max Overdrive download and you should have no problem setting it up. Read the tut.
Now of course I am not saying it is the Godliest to use for ROM's, GBA, all that crap... I am just offering a much easier and more agreeable method of home brew freedom without use of flash.