PDA

View Full Version : Open your eyes to the PSP scene - We're spoiled.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
April 23rd, 2007, 01:44
It seems to me that the psp scene is getting boring. It seems like nothing is new, we got too much at once, and Sony has given up. We have all of the new firmwares cracked and converted into custom firmwares, and full speed PS1 emulation. We have a recovery mode that can pretty much do anything to the psp. We can customize the fonts waves, volume bars, ect... We have everything. We pretty much won the war against Sony. It seems like they aren't trying anymore. As someone else said to me (SSaxdude), "It's like we're kicking a dead dog."

We have everything we want, so....now what? It seems like half the fun of the PSP scene was the decrypting firmwares and hacking the PSP, just as much as the emulators and homebrew were.

SSaxdude
April 23rd, 2007, 01:45
Dude that's what I said like 10 minutes ago to you.

LilSwish722
April 23rd, 2007, 02:01
Yea...ive actually become bored with my psp. i mean i love the PS1 emu but its becoming boring,. I think we should gradually release new homebrew instead of in bulk..like the lottery.

Shadowblind
April 23rd, 2007, 02:05
I've been thinking about what else we can do...the N64 emulator is on its way but what after tat? What else is there to emuate? DS? What about after that? We got nothing....

diceone
April 23rd, 2007, 02:07
I don't know about us being "spoiled" so much as just REALLY lucky and REALLY fortunate to have dedicated people with talent and skill working on these implementations.

I certainly don't feel like we are beating a dead horse at all. if anything PSP will have a long long life after everyone else has moved on.

I think we might be spoiled in the sense of how much of a community there is and how accessible the information and data is. but i certainly didn't feel spoiled when i dropped $200 on my first PSP and realized this systems limits and inability to do ALOT of things it SHOULD have been able to do.

I'm grateful for every crack to every SCE update.

SOny should just open the doors and play nice.
...But that's a horse that just won't die, no matter how much we beat it.

I have never cracked a firmware, and hate having to install and reinstall and upgrade.
So I"m thankful so many here and elsewhere have had the stamina to plow on and test and write for those of us who can't.

The glass is half full.

SpooForBrains
April 23rd, 2007, 02:48
I think we have it very good, but to be honest I think there is just too much stuff out there to get bored. I mean, come on, how many emulators are there? Multiply that by the number of available games for all those emulators and that's a LOT of playtime, without even touching stuff like Pimpstreamer.

If you're getting bored with the PSP "scene" then I suggest you find an emu for a system you haven't played before, go read up on some of the games available for that system, and have at it.

Just my 2p.

The King
April 23rd, 2007, 03:00
all i know is that me and my friends in my avatar have a go at it on our psp's every day
so to us its not dead we enjoy it very much and expect new things out of it things that others think is cool

gunntims0103
April 23rd, 2007, 03:21
Theres just to much stuff for the psp for me to get bored. Play legend of dragoon Seriously!

AvengedSevenfold Fan
April 23rd, 2007, 03:38
I mean I'm not bored of it, its just not AS exiting now that pretty much everything is out, than it was when new stuff just kept coming. I know the OEs are still coming, but there hasent been all that much of a change in them. But don't get me wrong, I still love the PSP and am not bored with it.

joshisposer
April 23rd, 2007, 03:51
I liked it a while ago when dark_alex sort of first came with custom firmware. Where we would wait for every little bit of info on it and a great homebrew game/app/emu would come out like once a week.
Now when a new fw comes out, we get like 2-3 days until D_A has it cracked. Homebrew games right now, i'm not gonna lie, sort of sucks. Too many lua.
I mean, i enjoy my psp a lot and play it every day but too many people sort of jumped in and killed the fun and now i'm waiting for people to go away and have the psp sort of have a renaissance.

I love the psp and have been playing it like everyday since like the swaploit.

dhraad
April 23rd, 2007, 05:45
I usually have my psp on me at all times. Emu's, games, video, music, customization - I've got it. I've had my psp for a year and a half now.

The glaring problem I've been seeing with psp games - and something a smart developer could take advantage of - is the lack of a MMO.

Roleplaying? Shooter? Does it really matter? The psp has a wide net of players, and most of us are on forums online. Take a game, make it so you actually get online to play, not ad-hoc and sit back and reap the rewards. I'm willing to bet most of us would love the chance to shell out around $40 to play a Counterstrike or WoW-like game with someone else that we know on these forums.

But until that happens...well, lets just say that doing the same things all the time with my psp, although i'm playing different games...I'm getting desensitized.

Joeyman
April 23rd, 2007, 10:06
Nice thought (MMO game) but I have a better one. Sega Saturn emulation, is that possible?

Chameleon
April 23rd, 2007, 10:53
no... no its not

b8a
April 23rd, 2007, 13:05
There's actually quite a lot of room for improvement as far as homebrew is concerened. I'm not saying that we don't have a mind-boggling selection of great apps, but it really doesn't take much imagination to think of a slew of possibilities that are still unfulfilled. (at the very least, a _better_ SNES emulator would deffinitely be very welcome... it's kind of sad that both the GBA and NeoGeo emulators run circles around SNES9xTYL. I'm not a big mega drive afficianado, but I get the feeling that there's considerable room for improvement there as well)

Personally, I bought my PSP precisely so that I could create apps for it, and that's why, over a year and a half later, I still can't get enough of it (even though I've never touched CFW, PS1 emulation, or XMB hacks). It's my dream game machine, AND I can create (pretty much) whatever applications that I want for it. It's hard to ask for more from a console.

Moral of the story: if you're bored with the PSP scene, stop being a leach (just kidding!), get up off the couch, and start giving back to the homebrew scene by creating your OWN original software. Coding's a blast!

Axelius
April 23rd, 2007, 16:58
I think the psp scene has become a little slower as there are not so many really new apps, as we almost have everything: we have almost every older console emulated, many useful apps, like the gps program etc.

I think the next major breakthrough would be the port of an operating system like linux, or windows ce. It would give us the possibility to use all the useful tools that were written for these systems.

kharaboudjan
April 23rd, 2007, 18:58
some emus i want to run better:

snes
amiga
Nintendo 64

AvengedSevenfold Fan
April 23rd, 2007, 21:13
snes runs fine for me, Dax should get into the n64

throughsilver
April 24th, 2007, 13:08
If you're getting bored with the PSP "scene" then I suggest you find an emu for a system you haven't played before, go read up on some of the games available for that system, and have at it.
Precisely.

People banging on about being 'bored' with a system that plays PS1/GBA/NG/CPS/SNES/PC Engine etc games should get their PSPs revoked. These machines were the main systems for a lot of us in past years, and they lasted ages. It is a sad indictment of the quick fix hungry people of today that the above (plus You Tube videos and whatever else) aren't enough for them. Something big has to crack or be developed every week, and twice a week during school holidays.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
April 24th, 2007, 15:52
Precisely.

People banging on about being 'bored' with a system that plays PS1/GBA/NG/CPS/SNES/PC Engine etc games should get their PSPs revoked. These machines were the main systems for a lot of us in past years, and they lasted ages. It is a sad indictment of the quick fix hungry people of today that the above (plus You Tube videos and whatever else) aren't enough for them. Something big has to crack or be developed every week, and twice a week during school holidays.

That's why I said that we were spoiled.