PDA

View Full Version : Just got a M3 Simply, some questions

Bendezium
April 24th, 2007, 01:53
Hey guys, just a few questions I prepared. Feel free to answer as many or as few as you like.

As a media player do you prefer DS Organize or Moonshell? I really only want to keep 1 on my memory stick.

Does moonshell have support to play shoutcast stations?

Can DS Organize or Moonshell play music in a lower power mode with the lid closed and light off?

Is there an application for recieving and managing RSS feeds for the DS?

I have an old Chinese M3 Lite Professional. Can I put a memory stick in it and use it to run emulators that support saves?

Thanks.

DanTheManMS
April 24th, 2007, 03:07
I'd recommend keeping both of them on your cart. They're both useful for their own reasons.

I prefer Moonshell for music playing, but either one works well. I mostly like Moonshell because it takes both shoulder buttons to pause a song or advance to the next one, so I can leave the DS in my pocket without it changing songs all the time. With DSOrganize, I have to lock the L+R buttons completely because a single button press will change songs.

DSOrganize has its benefits though. Only DSO has the radio streaming feature for instance, and DSO can also do operations on your files like copying and pasting between folders.

Both have power saving modes where the lights turn off, though Moonshell keeps playing audio through the speakers in sleep mode while DSO cuts off the speakers and sends output only to the headphones while in this mode. Not a huge difference, but noteworthy.

No idea about the RSS feeds, sorry.

You should be fine with the emulators. If they're older homebrew applications, they probably have support for the M3 built-in, and if they're newer, you can use DLDI to apply the apprpriate DLDI patch. The only one that might be hard is SnezziDS, which saves to SRAM. I don't know how to create a .sav or .dat file out of SRAM on the M3, but I don't think it's too hard from what I remember about my conversation with an M3 user.

Bendezium
April 24th, 2007, 04:07
Now that I realize I need headphones plugged in when closing the lid for DSOrganize I think I have no keep moonshell. DSOrganize does everything I'd like it to.

Just wondering about the addons. I can't seem to find any interesting ones.

Also do I have any options for an NES emulator where the roms aren't load into the nds file but I can actually select them?

THanks for responding. I'll probably post more in a few days when I think of some more questions.

DanTheManMS
April 24th, 2007, 04:20
If you want to keep the lid open with DSO to hear audio without draining the battery, use LoveLite to disable the backlight and reset to the M3 menu, where you can then launch DSO. I've done this before a few times myself.

What do you mean by "addons"?

For NES, I would suggest NES DS. Hopefully emu_kidid's version supports your M3, in which case you can just follow the DS-X instructions (yes, DS-X instructions, they're somewhat mislabed) at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/NES_DS and place your NES games anywhere on your card. If that doesn't work however, you'll need to package your games into the .nds file as described in the "Usage on R4 and Other Slot-1 Cards" section. Just make sure your .nds file doesn't exceed 3 MB or so.

For SNES, I'd recommend SNEmulDS. Just patch the file with DLDI, place your games in a folder called "SNES" on the root of your card, put snemul.cfg in the root of your card, and launch it. After saving in-game, hit the "Save SRAM" option to send the save to a *.srm file on your card. It also automatically saves the SRAM when closing the lid or switching games.

Ryuk and apples
April 24th, 2007, 06:45
Hmm I am strongly thinking about getting M3 DS Simply myself. Looks like what I need, its nothing like Max Media dock is it? God i hope not. To answer your question, I like Moonshell a lot more than the others. =/ Been using it for a while now.

DanTheManMS
April 25th, 2007, 02:31
Right, the M3 Simply isn't nearly as bad for homebrew support as the MMD is. In fact, it's one of the most compatible carts, though there isn't that much difference since DLDI theoretically puts all cards on equal levels.

Ryuk and apples
April 25th, 2007, 04:03
Thats good to hear Dan, I just purchased the M3 with the 1GB included for $69, can't wait until it comes. I am siked. XD This will be my first actual good home brew runner.

Mr_Biggs
April 25th, 2007, 13:10
dsorganize is good for file managing, shoutcast listening, irc chatting, and looking at photos single-handed ;D. moonshell is great for listening to mp3s and watching converted movies at full speed.

i keep both dsorganize and moonshell on my sd card, just in case.

j.smolka
April 25th, 2007, 13:34
Here is no answer but another question:

What to do to use DSOrganize on the DS simply slot-1 card???

If I try to start it will always ask for a GBAMP. (Isn't it a slot-2 card?)

Error You are not using a card that is compatible with Chishm's FAT library. Please run this program using a GBAMP or other compatible card!

DanTheManMS
April 25th, 2007, 23:39
Patch it with DLDI. See my post at http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61052 for instructions.

Furthermore, in order to boot homebrew with DSOrganize, you'll need to patch the \DSOrganize\Resources\exec_stub.bin file with DLDI as well. An easy way to do this is to rename it to exec_stub.nds, use DLDIrc to patch it, then rename it back to exec_stub.bin.

Bendezium
April 26th, 2007, 15:39
Patch it with DLDI. See my post at http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61052 for instructions.

Furthermore, in order to boot homebrew with DSOrganize, you'll need to patch the \DSOrganize\Resources\exec_stub.bin file with DLDI as well. An easy way to do this is to rename it to exec_stub.nds, use DLDIrc to patch it, then rename it back to exec_stub.bin.

This whole DLDI thing confuses me. Does the homebrew I'm booting out of DSOrganize also need to be patched with DLDI? Which types of programs require patching. Are the patching programs different for each piece of homebrew or can it patch all DLDI required homebrew?

j.smolka
April 26th, 2007, 18:19
Patch it with DLDI.

Hi Dan,

I tried it once before installing it and I just did it again...

The answer is the same:
DSOrganize Blue.nds does not have a DLDI section

Many thanks anyway

JS

DanTheManMS
April 27th, 2007, 01:18
DSOrganize stopped having color-coded versions once DLDI came out. Grab the updated version from www.dragonminded.com and patch that one.

Bendezium, DLDI is an attempt to standardize the methods of supporting many different devices with a single homebrew .nds file. If the homebrew you're booting requires DLDI patching for filesystem access, then yes, patch it as well. Not all homebrew needs patching though. Only homebrew that reads or writes to/from the media card will require it, and any homebrew older than December 2006 won't support it.

You can use the same DLDI file and patcher program for all homebrew devices, so don't worry about that. Just right-click each .nds file you wish to patch and select the patching option.