PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo warns about modchips on Wii

bandit
April 24th, 2007, 15:42
http://media.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/images/news/default_feature.jpg

Coming from Nintendo-Europe, they warn Wii owners about the use of modchips on the Nintendo Wii.

Perhaps you are not familiar with mod chips, but nevertheless we would like to draw your attention to some important information.

Modification microchips (mod chips) circumvent the security embedded into Nintendo's products. To install a mod chip into a Nintendo hardware system, it is necessary to dismantle the product and, in some instances, remove components.

The use of mod chips voids the manufacturer's warranty. In addition, the installation of a mod chip can damage the functionality of a Nintendo console, sometimes rendering it incapable of repair. Mod chips have been adjudicated to be illegal in various countries around the world, including the Unites States, the United Kingdom and Hong Kong. Most European countries have also already adopted laws prohibiting the circumvention of technological measures for copyright protection. People caught installing or selling mod chips may be subject to criminal charges.

We at DCEmu Reviews and DCEmu Networks do not condone piracy. Any reviews of modchips, flash carts or modifications made are solely for review purposes. Any purchases of flash carts, modchips or modifications made by readers/users are at their own discretion. Support the scene, manufacturers, developers, publishers and the people who spend an enormous amount of time and skill to bring you games by purchasing the actual games!

Source: Nintendo Europe (http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/news/article.do?elementId=wFyiZzHamq8m6dRdWzZcAs4tT9P7W yjS)

AvengedSevenfold Fan
April 24th, 2007, 16:58
A lot of homebrew and emulators require mod chips though.

bandit
April 24th, 2007, 17:46
A lot of homebrew and emulators require mod chips though.
Although true, console companies dont reallly look at that. They look at what would hurt their company and their profit. With homebrew and emulators, companies are not benefiting from it. Some will say that this will bring more sales but people who know about homebrew is only a small percentage of the whole user base throughout the world.

Modchips can boost sales of consoles but they dont make much profit on the console itself. A big chunk of profit comes from software and accessories. Hence, the effort to stop all piracy. Just look at Sony vs. Lik-Sang. Lik-Sang never sold pirated games but Sony sued them because they were selling PSPs to customers in other countries.

kaffie
April 24th, 2007, 18:07
Just look at Sony vs. Lik-Sang. Lik-Sang never sold pirated games but Sony sued them because they were selling PSPs to customers in other countries.

Every sale that Lik-Sang made prevented Sony from selling the same equipment at vastly inflated prices.

Lik-Sang - "the Anti-Rape Kit" of console manufacturers.

djchk
April 24th, 2007, 19:19
If Nintendo would allow their consoles to be region free or added language options to their releases then some people wouldn't need to use mod chips.

The Wii hasn't been released here in Hong Kong and only the Japanese console is available.

If I want to understand games like Zelda then I need to buy the US version of the game.

Not everyone who uses mod chips use pirated games. Some people just want to be able to play games in a language they understand.

bandit
April 24th, 2007, 20:29
If Nintendo would allow their consoles to be region free or added language options to their releases then some people wouldn't need to use mod chips.

The Wii hasn't been released here in Hong Kong and only the Japanese console is available.

If I want to understand games like Zelda then I need to buy the US version of the game.

Not everyone who uses mod chips use pirated games. Some people just want to be able to play games in a language they understand.
Unfortunately no console manufacturer thinks like that. Usually when you say "modchip" the first thing that pops into peoples head is "copy/burned games"

mavsman4457
April 25th, 2007, 00:22
I didn't even know that modchips are illegal in the US but I don't think that is going to stop a certain person I know from buying one for the first time if it will help him utilizie his PS3 better.

The King
April 25th, 2007, 02:04
mod a ps3 thats real dumb my reasons

1. the ps3 cost to much money to risk moding it
2. there are no homebrew out for the ps3 yet
3. why would u want to mod a ps3 this early of the release

JKKDARK
April 25th, 2007, 02:06
who needs homebrew on Wii/PS3/360 if you have a Dreamcast? :p

djchk
April 25th, 2007, 09:30
mod a ps3 thats real dumb my reasons

1. the ps3 cost to much money to risk moding it
2. there are no homebrew out for the ps3 yet
3. why would u want to mod a ps3 this early of the release

4.PS3 already plays games from other regions.