PDA

View Full Version : Rumours of a playstaion emulator

SmashinGit
May 19th, 2005, 17:55
Over on psphacker they have a story and picture of what looks like a playstaion emulator running at 61fps.

psplover
May 19th, 2005, 17:58
I'd believe it if it wasnt for the 61fps.
You know since nes doesnt even run fullspeed and all having a PSX emulator runing 1 frame faster than fullspeed sounds a lil like bs ^_~

ganon
May 19th, 2005, 19:33
hell we aint got snes and they got psx at 61fps

nexis2600
May 19th, 2005, 20:02
You cant just clearly say

"well since snes is not running at 60fps, ps1 is then not posible"

This is extreamly false. A emulator speed is based on how well it was writen. Sure the psx is a more complex system to emulate but the snes emu is also based on snes9x which I feel happens to have very slow code.

You also can't forget epsxe was ported to PDA with very solid results.

Or there is the posibility the FPS counter in that shot is broken (dont forget the internal fps counter in snes9x is broken in the psp port saying 60/60).

Cap'n 1time
May 19th, 2005, 20:07
nexis is correct, its a bit moronic to say what some of you are saying. you havnt been around the emulation scene long enough to understand so i will explain. just because some emulators of older systems arnt running at 60 fps dosnt mean a more powerfull modern system cant run at that speed. it depends mostly on the hardware of the machine trying to run it. It might be easier to optimize the hardware for a playstation emulator than a snes emulator. there is more to it, but im not going to claim i understand everything.

i cant seem to get to the psp hackers site, can you post an image?

nexis2600
May 19th, 2005, 20:35
oh dont forget a ps1 is a mips processor and so is the psp. :D

SmashinGit
May 19th, 2005, 21:25
http://www.psphacker.com/SH530111_thumb.jpg

SmashinGit
May 19th, 2005, 21:25
This is the image on the psphackers website.

Cap'n 1time
May 19th, 2005, 21:46
dunno if that is fake or not, looks pretty real to me. We will know for sure in at least i week i bet though. can you post a direct link to where you found it please?

It just dawned upon me that that is FF7- which was about 700megs per disk... do they make mem cards that big for psp?

SmashinGit
May 19th, 2005, 21:59
http://www.psphacker.com/2005/05/playstation-emulator-in-development.html#comments

Heres the link but I've just been reading the forums in psphacker and they all believe its a fake as someone did a google search and found this exact image as a gif.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/shinu/cvgs/cvgsmac/ff7.gif

Oh well, if it is a fake its a very good one.

Cap'n 1time
May 19th, 2005, 22:23
yup, it might just be some kind of image saved on the psp to display the picture. not too advance. anyways, sadly thats got to be a fake.

aseddon130
May 19th, 2005, 23:19
definately a fake, they took this pic http://homepage2.nifty.com/shinu/cvgs/cvgsmac/ff7.gif and added the text at the side then put it on the PSP to 'look' like an emulator ...

wonder if it works on a 1.5 :s

quzar
May 19th, 2005, 23:54
You cant just clearly say

"well since snes is not running at 60fps, ps1 is then not posible"

This is extreamly false. A emulator speed is based on how well it was writen. Sure the psx is a more complex system to emulate but the snes emu is also based on snes9x which I feel happens to have very slow code.

He never said that. He simply said it is probably fake due to the fact that NES and SNES still arent all that fast. Both of which make sense. SNES9X is actually fairly fast, the only problem is that you are probably comparing it to zsnes which is written in assembly, its like comparing apples and oranges.

That being said, I also think that it is unlikely that someone has a full speed psx emulator running on the psp. The only very portable ps emulator out there is PCSX and it is very very slow, and if they had been writing it from scratch I don't think that it would be possible to have any playstation games actually running yet, since as far as i know, 3d hasnt been figured out yet, only framebuffer writing, which would mean that it would have to be a fully software emulator.

Mekanaizer
May 20th, 2005, 00:03
Hi

Still, its more easy to have a PSX emu in 'C' runing faster then a SNES 'C' emu whole due to the Timing on the SNES emu's that have to be very accurate to run lots of games. The same goes with Assembly(thou, with Asm some tricks can be used).

-Mekanaizer-

Cap'n 1time
May 20th, 2005, 00:23
He never said that. He simply said it is probably fake due to the fact that NES and SNES still arent all that fast. Both of which make sense. SNES9X is actually fairly fast, the only problem is that you are probably comparing it to zsnes which is written in assembly, its like comparing apples and oranges.

That being said, I also think that it is unlikely that someone has a full speed psx emulator running on the psp. The only very portable ps emulator out there is PCSX and it is very very slow, and if they had been writing it from scratch I don't think that it would be possible to have any playstation games actually running yet, since as far as i know, 3d hasnt been figured out yet, only framebuffer writing, which would mean that it would have to be a fully software emulator.

never seen you make a post thats so tough on a fellow coder. anyways its pretty much been proven that its a fake by now, this topic really should be locked as to prevent some meaningless arguments that often occur for no apparent reason.

nexis2600
May 20th, 2005, 00:58

Its much more then that and Snes9X is still not fairly fast. Look at that as well. The avalible NES emu runs poorly compaired to the GBC emulator which runs pretty solid.

http://fpsearm.psxfanatics.com/

I watched this emulator, which is a port of a pc emu by the way, from the start and in it's early days it was getting 40fps on quite a few games. Not to mention Pocket PC lack 3d accelleration.

There are also more things that will lend to a ps1 emulator being posible at faster framerate then ps1 mostly in the cpu. Both systems have mips cpu cores which will make emulation easy and have less pit falls.

A small pitfall (that is eating up speed) on ngPsp is the fact I have to allign all memory access and the whole core heavly uses the emu's memory routines. This of course wont be a problem on the ps1 since it already works with everything alligned.

ganon
May 20th, 2005, 02:05

thanks 4 explaining

joemamafoo
May 24th, 2005, 06:51
It just dawned upon me that that is FF7- which was about 700megs per disk... do they make mem cards that big for psp?

I don't doubt that this pic is a fake but just an fyi http://www.memorystick.com/en/msnews/msupdate/36_1.html
it is possible to put all that onto a memory stick.

SchmuckofNI
May 24th, 2005, 07:32
Who would want to spend double the price of the psp if not more for a mere 4 gigs? Thanks but no thanks I'll pass

nexis2600
May 24th, 2005, 15:31
Jesus christ people.

Research. There is a PS1 emulator (I posted the link above) for Pocket PC. It uses a form of ripping uneeded data (movies, CDA, XA) and zlib compression to compress full ps1 games down to less then 32 megs on 1/3 of the titles out there.

There wont be a need for a 2GB or 4GB unless you want to keep the full cd uncompressed but on many games it's just stupid (like a fighter, you dont need the movies).

shizzle
May 24th, 2005, 17:01
wouldn't it be fairly easy to create a psx emu (if u r a pro of course) because the the controls are similar to the psp, similar control etc. unline say a snes/nes???

Darksaviour69
May 24th, 2005, 17:04
controls would be the last things you worry about when porting or creating a emu, emulation of the processers is the first big problem.

shizzle
May 24th, 2005, 17:29
i wish i could port emus, if only i new C . QQ

joemamafoo
May 26th, 2005, 03:49
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that cgi plays a pretty integral part in most RPGs so ditching it is taking away from the game. But I see where you're going with cutting all the caca out of fighting games and the like.